Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sethp

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
Too bad I missed out on that great deal on Amazon, at that prize i could live with using a UK plug and a Euro-adapter but now i'm going to buy one in Sweden.

I used to buy external FW drives that I daisy chained but some of the older 1TB drives are starting to act up on me and getting new FireWire 800 drives today isn't worth the money. Since I have an imac 2011 with a thunderbolt port that lacks USB 3 i was thinking of getting this Hub and connect my remaining 4 firewire drives to the hub and my USB 3 drives and some USB 2 drives as well ending up with just a thunderbolt cable connected to my Mac that handles "all" self powered external storage regardless of interface.

I've read that the USB 3 ports are only half speed but since my own ports are USB 2 it should be a boost.

Only thing i'm a bit afraid of is if the drives mount as they should without one needing to disconnect the USB plug from the hub and reconnect it again after lets say a reboot.

The hard drives i'm using exclusively are WD My book FW800 and WD My book USB 3 and a pair of WD essentials usb 2 disks

Bezbozny

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2009
I have received the dock and I must say that I m very satisfied with this purchase. I have to say though that even though I bought it with a big discount this doesn't mean that I still don't consider it expensive for what you get. I don't have any benchmarks to show but I m very happy that I got rid of all those cables that were around my macbook on my desk. Now I only have the dock connected to my macbook pro and nothing else. I have connected to the dock my external firewire hard drive, my Blue Ray writer, card reader, USB 3 hub which I use for my external keyboard and mouse receivers and flash drives etc. Everything is neat and organised.

JKColo22

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2009
jkcolo22 said:
Seems to me like you would get a much better bang for your buck with one these forthcoming horizontal hengedocks: http://hengedocks.com/order_horizontal_dock.php . 14 ports for $249. Although now that I'm writing this i'm a little unclear as to whether it is just splitting the thunderbolt port into 3 displayport ports. Hmmm...

That looks unbelievably sweet, except I don't like the idea of it being a real dock (ie the ports are predefined). I mean if there were adapters you could use that would be ideal. But the thing becomes worthless when you upgrade your macbook pro (ie apple changes the layout). Although it's possible apple won't change the layout for a very long time, but still..

Otherwise I Can't wait. Although q3 is a long long ways away.

LOL... Wow. It is now October, 2014 and these are supposedly available for preorder. Vaporware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.