Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
So, i've been all Apple for quite a few years here.. i've been interested in checking out Android, just to see what else is out there. I currently have an iPhone 5 and iPad Mini.

I purchased a Nexus 7 on Sunday and now I kind of feel like a fish out of water.

A couple things:

1. Is there a way that I can sync video from iTunes, then when I watch those videos on my Nexus, I can plug that in and sync it with iTunes, so when I go to watch on my Apple TV, it picks up where I left off?

2. Do I have to root my phone to get one of those fancy home screens that I keep seeing Android users being so excited about?

3. What exactly can I do on this thing that I couldn't do on an iPad Mini?

4. Any other random suggestions for someone who's mostly familiar with iOS? Apps to make the transition easier, etc?

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
So, i've been all Apple for quite a few years here.. i've been interested in checking out Android, just to see what else is out there. I currently have an iPhone 5 and iPad Mini.

I purchased a Nexus 7 on Sunday and now I kind of feel like a fish out of water.

A couple things:

1. Is there a way that I can sync video from iTunes, then when I watch those videos on my Nexus, I can plug that in and sync it with iTunes, so when I go to watch on my Apple TV, it picks up where I left off?

2. Do I have to root my phone to get one of those fancy home screens that I keep seeing Android users being so excited about?

4. Any other random suggestions for someone who's mostly familiar with iOS? Apps to make the transition easier, etc?

1. Not that I know of

2. I think you mean tablet. If you would post a picture if would be helpful, cause idk what you mean by 'fancy'. You may just mean a custom launcher with a theme on it?

3. For me the reason to get a N7 over a iPad was the ability to download files off the internet and then move files throughout the file system. I use ES Explorer for that. There are other options though as well.

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
1. Not that I know of

2. I think you mean tablet. If you would post a picture if would be helpful, cause idk what you mean by 'fancy'. You may just mean a custom launcher with a theme on it?

3. For me the reason to get a N7 over a iPad was the ability to download files off the internet and then move files throughout the file system. I use ES Explorer for that. There are other options though as well.

1. Darn.

2. Yeah, i'm also half retarded (at least). I should have led with that. I meant tablet. Not sure why I said phone.

Anyway, i'm not sure what it's called. But by "fancy" I mean like in the "show your Android home screen" threads, there are things like this:

attachment.php
attachment.php

flowerydelight.png

The extra widgets and the custom icons.

3. I can see that being useful for some people. Especially if you use a mobile device as your main device. I, however, am stuck to my iMac, with my mobile devices being used away from home or when i'm relaxing away from the computer.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond :)

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
1. Darn.

2. Yeah, i'm also half retarded (at least). I should have led with that. I meant tablet. Not sure why I said phone.

Anyway, i'm not sure what it's called. But by "fancy" I mean like in the "show your Android home screen" threads, there are things like this:

ImageImage
flowerydelight.png

3. I can see that being useful for some people. Especially if you use a mobile device as your main device. I, however, am stuck to my iMac, with my mobile devices being used away from home or when i'm relaxing away from the computer.

Sure, No Problem. I think what you are looking for are custom themes.

I would recommend going to the google play store and typing "launcher theme" and then finding a theme that you like.

Once you find a theme you will see that is made for a certain launcher. So then you will have to download that theme and the launcher it is made for.
I can tell by reading them that my instructions kinda suck, sorry for that. But there is some cool themes out there type in iOS theme and you can even get a theme to make your android tablet look like iOS. I also know there is one out there that also mimics FF OS.
If you are having trouble I'm sure this a youtube video somewhere showing off custom themes.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012

A couple things:

1. Not sure, do not use iTunes anymore. I know there are some iTunes support apps but I am willing to bet video resuming will not cross over.

2. You do not have to, there are tons of launchers and icon packs out there as well as theme packs for said launchers that can customize Android quite a bit. Some of the more adventurous things will require root (notifications, app replacement)

3. This difference is going to be down to apps really. There are some things here and there like deeper customization (which you already touched on) but for the most part you will have access to different apps like say a Torrent client, emulators and other things. Also note you can install the last official flash apk into the Stock browser (root required to install stock browser afaik) and get some crumby flash content but it isn't terribly optimized.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada

I would suggest you pose this question on androidforums.com as there are people who have a mix of iOS and Android products.

Most likely not. You probably just need a launcher.

Better integration between apps is one thing. With most apps, you can universally share things in one app with another. This type of functionality is built into Android. With iOS, Apple has to build things like Twitter integration and FB integration.

Widgets is a big one if you want to customise your home screen in that manner. Also, customising your home screen with a new launcher is something many people do.

You can change default applications. If you don't like the stock browser, install a different one and set that up as your default. That way, whenever you tap on a url from anywhere like email, it will launch your new default browser. With the iPad, you're stuck with Safari even if you like Opera more.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
1. Darn.

ImageImage
flowerydelight.png

As the screen example on the top right (green toned wallpaper with monochrome icons) was mine ;), I can at least explain what I did.

While I did root my N7, nothing on that screen required it. I used Nova Launcher, WP clock design live wallpaper, Glaskart Theme for the icons, and another wallpaper downloaded from another site (sorry, can't remember from where). WP clock design provides the time/date/battery info--it looks/acts like a widget but carries over to each home screen and lock screen (or not, completely up to you) and can be used with another wallpaper image (my green gears image behind it)--it's very customizable (change text color, brightness, what info is displayed, can have it fade as you move away from the main home screen, etc). Using a launcher such as Nova allows you to select a different icon them--there are tons available, both paid and free.

The beauty of Android is the endless ways you can customize, even without rooting, which only adds to the possibilities and really isn't as intimidating as it can sound.

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Thanks guys! The info you guys gave really helps a lot with the customization.

I'll do a little digging around for the movie/tv show thing. If I can't do that, then the Nexus is probably going to be a bust for me.

It's still a nice little tablet so far, but all the customization in the world, can't beat the convenience of media integration.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Isyncer allows you to copy media from itunes to the N7...It's a paid app unless you want to be tied down to 12 songs or one video...but it works. You download the app on your N7, then the free Mac app from the link they mail you.

It's clunky, but it does work.

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Isyncer allows you to copy media from itunes to the N7...It's a paid app unless you want to be tied down to 12 songs or one video...but it works. You download the app on your N7, then the free Mac app from the link they mail you.

It's clunky, but it does work.

So it will allow me to sync the position of the movie between my ATV and Nexus?

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Ahh, no, I think it only works with iTunes....hmm, I haven't found anything like that yet but will let you know if I do.....something like that may well be there.

Well, iTunes would be the middle man between the ATV and the Nexus 7.

I stream the movies from iTunes to my ATV and let's say I leave off at 25:58 and go somewhere then want to pick up where I left off on my Nexus (after syncing with iTunes, of course).. I open up the movie on my Nexus and it starts at 25:58.

I'm bad at explaining things, haha

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011

I stream the movies from iTunes to my ATV and let's say I leave off at 25:58 and go somewhere then want to pick up where I left off on my Nexus (after syncing with iTunes, of course).. I open up the movie on my Nexus and it starts at 25:58.

No your fine....I just haven't really been looking at the app market. I have 2 ATV"s and all my stuff is in iTunes and the cloud.....haven't got a single movie on the N7 as yet, but might fiddle around later:)

----------

:D:D This is what happens when IOS users get out of their safe ground!:)

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

I think the problem with your plan is that iTunes doesn't sync with a Nexus. There might be a program somewhere that syncs your iTunes library with Android devices, but video playback position is such a specific piece of data that most likely non-Apple programs aren't able to access that data.

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
I think the problem with your plan is that iTunes doesn't sync with a Nexus. There might be a program somewhere that syncs your iTunes library with Android devices, but video playback position is such a specific piece of data that most likely non-Apple programs aren't able to access that data.

Yeah, I figured Apple wouldn't play that nice with Android. But i'm not too familiar with that kind of thing, so I wasn't sure if some Android developer found a way to make an app that would be able to pull that information from iTunes.

Anyway, here's what I got as far as the customization goes.. still working on the color of the time.. to make it blend in well enough to not look silly, but stick out enough to make it readable at a glance

Screenshot_2013-01-23-08-05-49.png

EDIT:

Also, now that I have the cool looking home screen.. my lock screen looks ridiculous, because I see the home screen behind the lock screen.

Would I have to download something in particular to be able to change/customize the lock screen or would I be able to find those settings in the Nova Launcher that i've aready installed?

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Yeah, I figured Apple wouldn't play that nice with Android. But i'm not too familiar with that kind of thing, so I wasn't sure if some Android developer found a way to make an app that would be able to pull that information from iTunes.

Anyway, here's what I got as far as the customization goes.. still working on the color of the time.. to make it blend in well enough to not look silly, but stick out enough to make it readable at a glance

EDIT:

Also, now that I have the cool looking home screen.. my lock screen looks ridiculous, because I see the home screen behind the lock screen.

Would I have to download something in particular to be able to change/customize the lock screen or would I be able to find those settings in the Nova Launcher that i've aready installed?

Is that Nova Launchpad what you are using to change the screen? I might take a look at that...mines a mess:)

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011

EDIT:

Looks really good.

Wafflausages

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
1. Darn.

ImageImage
flowerydelight.png

Hi! I have an i5 and an N7 there is not much to make iOS and Android feel "the same" aside from having the same app on either platform... in my case. Anyways I don't know if you heard of reddit but reddit.com/r/androidthemes is a community of people who solely customize their android and if you check the comments most of the time people post what they are using. Cheers!

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided
1. I don't think there's an Android app that can do specifically that but DoubleTwist does solve part of your problem. It's just about the best iTunes alternative for Android. You have to install the program on your computer but it does sync with your iTunes library (I'm not exactly sure, but it may just be your music, might be video/pictures as well) and gives you the ability to AirPlay any pictures, music, and videos you have on your device. I assume that the video you want to sync is not downloaded from iTunes, then you can simply sync the video to your Android device with the DoubleTwist program on your computer.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.doubleTwist.androidPlayer
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.doubleTwist.androidPlayerProKey

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Hi! I have an i5 and an N7 there is not much to make iOS and Android feel "the same" aside from having the same app on either platform... in my case. Anyways I don't know if you heard of reddit but reddit.com/r/androidthemes is a community of people who solely customize their android and if you check the comments most of the time people post what they are using. Cheers!

I don't really want them to feel the same. I got the N7 to actually experience Android.

Where do you get those nice themes? I want one!

The themes I posted in the beginning of the thread were other peoples' themes. One person posted how he got some of the stuff on his device.

I downloaded Nova Launcher and fiddled with it, found a wallpaper that I liked and downloaded an icon set that I like.. all via the Google Play store.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
I don't really want them to feel the same. I got the N7 to actually experience Android.

The themes I posted in the beginning of the thread were other peoples' themes. One person posted how he got some of the stuff on his device.

I downloaded Nova Launcher and fiddled with it, found a wallpaper that I liked and downloaded an icon set that I like.. all via the Google Play store.

It looks way better than mine does....But I'm going to play around with Novalauncher today...Still snowed in anyway..:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.