Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:46 PM   #1
cowbellallen
macrumors regular

New offices don't have fast Internet, need help

We're moving into these great new offices in Dallas, but the building doesn't have a fast connection. Currently, most tenants are hooked up to a 768kbps connection as that's pretty much all that is offered. Our company is currently on 10mbps and I couldn't imagine moving down that low.

I've called Verizon, who doesn't offer service in the area. Time Warner Cable said they would have to 'build out' to the location, but that it would take 60 days to do and if we were the only tenant to do it, it would not be worth the cost of doing even if we had their most expensive plan and signed up for like 5 telephone lines. That's pointless because we have a VOIP system.

AT&T is based in Dallas and supposedly has this whole city wired, but they are being extremely flaky and won't return my calls. The guy said we could do 768kbps if we wanted phone lines, but he would have to survey the area and see if it would be worth adding the building to their network.

What the heck can I do? This part of Dallas is extremely busy and almost every other building within a mile gets AT&T Uverse. I'm running out of options and we have to get out of our current offices in the next 2 weeks.

Would appreciate any advice you have that doesn't consist of 'don't move their'. I'm currently looking into CLEAR, but I don't really understand it and they seem like the Boost Mobile of ISPs (that's an insult).
cowbellallen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:52 AM   #2
dinggus
Banned

You got Comcast?
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:57 AM   #3
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Dallas is one of the most connected cities in the country. It's hard to imagine you're having trouble getting adequate service.

As I re-read your post, I couldn't help but notice that all the services you mentioned are residential. Is there a reason you aren't looking into any commercial services? What part of Dallas are you in?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:34 PM   #4
heehee
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbellallen View Post
We're moving into these great new offices in Dallas, but the building doesn't have a fast connection. Currently, most tenants are hooked up to a 768kbps connection as that's pretty much all that is offered. Our company is currently on 10mbps and I couldn't imagine moving down that low.

I've called Verizon, who doesn't offer service in the area. Time Warner Cable said they would have to 'build out' to the location, but that it would take 60 days to do and if we were the only tenant to do it, it would not be worth the cost of doing even if we had their most expensive plan and signed up for like 5 telephone lines. That's pointless because we have a VOIP system.

AT&T is based in Dallas and supposedly has this whole city wired, but they are being extremely flaky and won't return my calls. The guy said we could do 768kbps if we wanted phone lines, but he would have to survey the area and see if it would be worth adding the building to their network.

What the heck can I do? This part of Dallas is extremely busy and almost every other building within a mile gets AT&T Uverse. I'm running out of options and we have to get out of our current offices in the next 2 weeks.

Would appreciate any advice you have that doesn't consist of 'don't move their'. I'm currently looking into CLEAR, but I don't really understand it and they seem like the Boost Mobile of ISPs (that's an insult).
Have you tried business providers like http://www.cogentco.com?
heehee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:01 PM   #5
waloshin
macrumors 68030

Do you really need fast internet for your job?

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion