Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cowbellallen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
We're moving into these great new offices in Dallas, but the building doesn't have a fast connection. Currently, most tenants are hooked up to a 768kbps connection as that's pretty much all that is offered. Our company is currently on 10mbps and I couldn't imagine moving down that low.

I've called Verizon, who doesn't offer service in the area. Time Warner Cable said they would have to 'build out' to the location, but that it would take 60 days to do and if we were the only tenant to do it, it would not be worth the cost of doing even if we had their most expensive plan and signed up for like 5 telephone lines. That's pointless because we have a VOIP system.

AT&T is based in Dallas and supposedly has this whole city wired, but they are being extremely flaky and won't return my calls. The guy said we could do 768kbps if we wanted phone lines, but he would have to survey the area and see if it would be worth adding the building to their network.

What the heck can I do? This part of Dallas is extremely busy and almost every other building within a mile gets AT&T Uverse. I'm running out of options and we have to get out of our current offices in the next 2 weeks.

Would appreciate any advice you have that doesn't consist of 'don't move their'. I'm currently looking into CLEAR, but I don't really understand it and they seem like the Boost Mobile of ISPs (that's an insult).

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Dallas is one of the most connected cities in the country. It's hard to imagine you're having trouble getting adequate service.

As I re-read your post, I couldn't help but notice that all the services you mentioned are residential. Is there a reason you aren't looking into any commercial services? What part of Dallas are you in?

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
We're moving into these great new offices in Dallas, but the building doesn't have a fast connection. Currently, most tenants are hooked up to a 768kbps connection as that's pretty much all that is offered. Our company is currently on 10mbps and I couldn't imagine moving down that low.

I've called Verizon, who doesn't offer service in the area. Time Warner Cable said they would have to 'build out' to the location, but that it would take 60 days to do and if we were the only tenant to do it, it would not be worth the cost of doing even if we had their most expensive plan and signed up for like 5 telephone lines. That's pointless because we have a VOIP system.

AT&T is based in Dallas and supposedly has this whole city wired, but they are being extremely flaky and won't return my calls. The guy said we could do 768kbps if we wanted phone lines, but he would have to survey the area and see if it would be worth adding the building to their network.

What the heck can I do? This part of Dallas is extremely busy and almost every other building within a mile gets AT&T Uverse. I'm running out of options and we have to get out of our current offices in the next 2 weeks.

Would appreciate any advice you have that doesn't consist of 'don't move their'. I'm currently looking into CLEAR, but I don't really understand it and they seem like the Boost Mobile of ISPs (that's an insult).

Have you tried business providers like http://www.cogentco.com?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.