Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:33 PM   #1026
KNNSpeed
macrumors newbie

Bumpity Bump! (Maybe I should make my own thread?)

I took a little break from hammering at the thunderbolt hotplug. (I did find a way to get Windows to boot into native PCIe hotplug mode--I know my desktop motherboard has an EFI option "Native ACPI OS PCIe Support," which, when checked, exhibits the same behavior as what I've made Windows do on my rMBP.)

I just want to let anyone interested know that I got the Intel iGPU to show up under Windows. At least, I think it's working--I just get a black screen like I do when apple_set_os is working properly. However, when I used apple_set_os I was unable to proceed past the login screen. With my DSDT edits I can navigate through Windows just fine, albeit blindly.

EDIT: Sorry, after more testing it turns out I was wrong. I think what I managed to do is switch the computer to use the iGPU, but the iGPU is still powered off, resulting in a black screen. Usually I can boot into safe mode with the iGPU enabled, but this time I couldn't and Windows was not reporting that the device had been detected. Sorry, my mistake!

(In other words, I clearly can't read:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah-
apple_set_os deals with the Apple EFI disabling hardware during boot, which happens before the acpi stuff. If the kernel/bootloader doesn't tell the EFI that it is osx before exiting the EFI boot services, the EFI will disable all kinds of hardware by writing into some hardware configuration registers.
)

Last edited by KNNSpeed; Jul 31, 2014 at 12:52 AM.
KNNSpeed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2014, 04:49 PM   #1027
ah-
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanovan View Post
It should be possible to make modifications to Apple's EFI using UEFI tools. The only difference from modifying a normal UEFI would be the rather confusing naming, I believe.
Just out of interest, where did you get that list from?
ah- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2014, 12:17 AM   #1028
shanovan
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah- View Post
Just out of interest, where did you get that list from?
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/291686-apple-imac111macbookpro53macbookpro81-uefi-firmware-dump-extracted-modules-and-firmware-volume-map/

Last edited by shanovan; Aug 3, 2014 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Link
shanovan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2014, 03:02 PM   #1029
nmzik
macrumors newbie

Is there any news regarding Intel Iris/Intel Iris Pro on Windows with Nvidia card?

Thanks
nmzik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 08:58 PM   #1030
Demigod Mac
macrumors 6502

I've got a Mac Pro 5,1 and Windows 8.1 on a dedicated SSD.

I've been reading this guide:
http://blog.thedeltaflyer.com/2013/0...ely-using-efi/

And it seems like the Windows EFI installer bombs out if it detects any drive using Apple's Hybrid MBR partition scheme. This mirrors my experience when I attempted an EFI install back when Windows 8 came out - it just froze whenever I selected EFI Boot.

Would this mean if I want to install EFI Windows 8, I would have to yank all the OS X formatted drives from my machine, format the SSD, install Windows and then put the Mac formatted drives back in?

Also... is it possible to upgrade an existing Windows install to EFI or does it have to be a clean install?

Lastly is it possible for VMWare Fusion 6 to work with an EFI Windows / Bootcamp?

Last edited by Demigod Mac; Aug 15, 2014 at 09:18 PM.
Demigod Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 09:56 PM   #1031
KNNSpeed
macrumors newbie

For a few months after release Windows 8 had a bug in the ISO that effectively broke EFI booting. There is a fix out there if you don't have a newer ISO.

The Windows installer doesn't like it if you have more than 1 drive hooked up, period. It's infamous for that. It would be best to have only the target drive active (you just need to unplug the data cables from the other drives) during the install.

You CAN convert MBR Windows to EFI Windows. I did it once, but it's a frightening process unless you're familiar with a wide variety of 3rd party boot tools (especially if something goes wrong), BSOD error codes, and the Windows BCD store.

I don't know anything about VMWare, but I'm pretty sure Parallels can do it.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 02:30 PM   #1032
Demigod Mac
macrumors 6502

I think I'm out of luck on that. I did the special $40 deal upgrade from 7 to 8 and the 8.1 installer doesn't like any of my product keys (both the upgrade key and the one the 8.1 OS is currently using). I suppose I could contact Microsoft for a solution, can't hurt to try.
Demigod Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2014, 08:34 AM   #1033
KNNSpeed
macrumors newbie

It's possible to fix the Windows 8 bug in the iso--here:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/anybody-gotten-the-dvd-to-boot-uefi/82677329-a861-4060-866b-3eacb60a8b38

Also, you can't use a Windows 8 key on 8.1 or vice versa, you'd need to use the 8 upgrade key on the 8 full install, which is doable:
http://lifehacker.com/5984278/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-8-with-an-upgrade-disc

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac