Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
So, you infer that Apple is in the weaker position because there is no deal. You need to justify that.

On the other hand, could it be that China Mobile think they're big enough to tell Apple what the deal is, and Apple have been patiently explaining to them that they're wrong?

ISTM that China Mobile is doing just fine without the iPhone, given their recently announced infrastructure investment. AAPL. on the other hand, is doing badly, in large part due to a perceived flattening of growth. New markets are a likely growth path for Apple.

You do the math.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Consume grade wifi routers are really low powered and cheap and incapable of doing what he wants. However, when you get into business grade APs you can cover vast amounts of areas and support large amounts of users. With that said... these kind of Wireless APs do not come very cheap. They run into the thousands.

Excuse me... but a WiFi router that covers a vast area is rubbish. Every WiFi router has a limited total bandwidth, about 3 times the bandwidth of a single connection. A WiFi router covering a huge area with lots of users will be bandwidth starved. What you want is lots of routers covering small areas, all connected by Gigabit Ethernet. So each small area has that amount of bandwidth, not the large area.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Excuse me... but a WiFi router that covers a vast area is rubbish. Every WiFi router has a limited total bandwidth, about 3 times the bandwidth of a single connection. A WiFi router covering a huge area with lots of users will be bandwidth starved. What you want is lots of routers covering small areas, all connected by Gigabit Ethernet. So each small area has that amount of bandwidth, not the large area.

Excuse me... When did I imply you would only use one. Also why are you talking about WiFi routers? No one uses a wifi router in large establishments and businesses. They use WAPs...

arbourable

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
ISTM that China Mobile is doing just fine without the iPhone, given their recently announced infrastructure investment. AAPL. on the other hand, is doing badly, in large part due to a perceived flattening of growth. New markets are a likely growth path for Apple.

You do the math.

I don't agree with your thesis. If past is prologue, China Mobile should want the iPhone. I'm sure I don't have to spell out the reasons why for you (if you're unsure what I mean, ask SoftBank who doubled their profits by offering iPhone).

Has APPL stock has recently dropped? Yes. Has growth in the smartphone market slowed? Yes. Does this mean Apple should bend to China Mobiles terms if they deem them unfavourable? Of course not, Apple have never chased market share for its own sake.

You're right that new markets are where the growth is, and I think Apple would love to get the iPhone on the largest carrier in China, but in my opinion, they'll require China Mobile to pay handsomely for the privilege.

kenetic

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2006
Apple! China is a gold mine. Get into the market ASAP. I am loosing money on your stocks. LOL!

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Apple! China is a gold mine. Get into the market ASAP. I am loosing money on your stocks. LOL!

Apple is in China, and expanding every day.

I was in an Apple store just two weeks ago and at the building site of another in Suzhou, China. Product demand is high.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I don't agree with your thesis. If past is prologue, China Mobile should want the iPhone. I'm sure I don't have to spell out the reasons why for you (if you're unsure what I mean, ask SoftBank who doubled their profits by offering iPhone).

Has APPL stock has recently dropped? Yes. Has growth in the smartphone market slowed? Yes. Does this mean Apple should bend to China Mobiles terms if they deem them unfavourable? Of course not, Apple have never chased market share for its own sake.

You're right that new markets are where the growth is, and I think Apple would love to get the iPhone on the largest carrier in China, but in my opinion, they'll require China Mobile to pay handsomely for the privilege.

We probably agree more than we disagree.

I think that China Mobile wold welcome the iPhone, and that they are willing to grind Apple down for a considerable amount of time in order to get the deal that they want.

The reports are of a current impasse. The question is who will finally offer something that the other side can live with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.