Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:31 AM   #26
David N
macrumors member

Transmission works great. I've had upwards of 1200 torrents actively running and have never had a hiccup with it, but I've had my fair share of issues with uTorrent.
David N is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 09:27 AM   #27
kas23
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan View Post
I hope this is what I (presumably the internet police) just said.

Yes, please just don't link to sites that tell you where to get pirated stuff, don't discuss programs or networks that are only used to get pirated stuff and have no other use, and don't discuss how to use legitimate programs (like the one's being discussed here) to get pirated stuff. It's not a freedom of speech issue -- even without SOPA/etc, putting all that stuff on MR has the potential to jeopardize the accessibility of this forum to its users, as well as potentially places the people who provide this forum at legal risk.
This thread is 2 pages long and not one single post here contains, directly or implied, any link to any pirated software nor any link with directions on to pirate software. Thank you for your active moderation though.
kas23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:10 PM   #28
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
This thread is 2 pages long and not one single post here contains, directly or implied, any link to any pirated software nor any link with directions on to pirate software. Thank you for your active moderation though.
That's because they've been deleted.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:27 PM   #29
chris200x9
macrumors 6502a

Deluge!
chris200x9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 01:31 PM   #30
halledise
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
6/15/10, Never Forget
what happened on that day?
halledise is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 02:42 PM   #31
kas23
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by halledise View Post
what happened on that day?
It was a horrible, horrible day. But, it pales in comparison to what happened on 10/7/11. Both days AT&T screwed the pooch on my iPhone pre-orders.
kas23 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:00 AM   #32
clinker75
macrumors newbie

I've been a huge fan of azureus and its useful plugins ecosystem for various purpose (RSS, http server..); then, with Vuse and the new interface it has become a little too bloated in my opinion.

I've recently changed to Trasmission and I'm pretty satisfied with it.
clinker75 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 03:26 AM   #33
silverhand31
macrumors member

I found that Transmission likely want to upload more than download?
When I tried Vuze, it download right after add, and tried to upload a little
But for Transmission, always want to upload first.
Test with the latest torrent - 1,2 seeds but thousand peers.
silverhand31 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:47 AM   #34
HarryPot
macrumors 6502a

I've used Transmission for a long time.

But now whenever I stop downloads, it crashes.

Anyone else experiencing this?
HarryPot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:31 PM   #35
chrisvee
macrumors regular

Oh wow, it looks like a lot of people like Transmission! I think I'll give that a shot. I've been using uTorrent for such a long time, and I think it's time for a change.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:32 PM   #36
appleguy123
macrumors 603

Transmission, definitely. But since we're talking about torrents, can someone tell me what a magnet link is? Are they anonymous, faster? Is there any benefit to them at all, and why did TPB start using them.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:38 PM   #37
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleguy123 View Post
Transmission, definitely. But since we're talking about torrents, can someone tell me what a magnet link is? Are they anonymous, faster? Is there any benefit to them at all, and why did TPB start using them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet_link
BitTorrent Magnet Links Explained
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2012, 10:50 PM   #38
bansheebeat
macrumors member

My only problem with Transmission is you can't select individual files in a torrent, it's all or nothing. Other than that I think it's great.
bansheebeat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2012, 11:00 PM   #39
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansheebeat View Post
My only problem with Transmission is you can't select individual files in a torrent, it's all or nothing.
Sure you can.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2012, 12:29 PM   #40
bansheebeat
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Sure you can.
Care to explain how?
bansheebeat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2012, 12:38 PM   #41
McScooby
macrumors regular

Highlight the torrent in main window, click i button at top and click along box that opens until you see the list within the torrent, and check/uncheck as necessary.
McScooby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2012, 12:38 PM   #42
AdrianK
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansheebeat View Post
Care to explain how?
When you add a torrent, this window comes up. Simply untick the files and folders you don't want.

Thumb resize.

EDIT: Ninja'd by McScooby :P File inspector also works perfectly.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 02:53 PM   #43
TheLegend
macrumors member

I find Vuze to work great. Simple to set up and use. Transmission does the job too.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:16 AM   #44
Begoozam
macrumors newbie

Comms Hungry

Even though I have been using Transmission for several years due to its low processor footprint, I have been forever frustrated by its desire to hog ALL of the bandwidth available. So if you need to browse with Safari, for example, whilst there is a Transmission download going on, you can go and make a four course dinner waiting for anything to happen.

And this has been the case across OS versions and different hardwares too.
So - it works, for sure, but don't expect to do anything else on line at the same time

A mate swears by Vuze - that ghastly processor hog that wants to be all things to all men. But his DLs are ripping fast and it seems to function stably and without issues.
Begoozam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:10 AM   #45
curmudgeon32
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begoozam View Post
Even though I have been using Transmission for several years due to its low processor footprint, I have been forever frustrated by its desire to hog ALL of the bandwidth available. So if you need to browse with Safari, for example, whilst there is a Transmission download going on, you can go and make a four course dinner waiting for anything to happen.
Make a trip to the preferences and set global upload/download bandwidth limits, then. There's even a little "rabbit" icon right on the main window that puts it into throttled mode. You can also set it up throttle/unthrottle at certain times of day. I have mine unthrottled starting after midnight out of consideration to my neighbors. Nothing worse than Netflix buffering...
curmudgeon32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:29 AM   #46
fhall1
macrumors 68020

I used to love Transmission - however it will not handle a proxy ( I use BTGuard), so I switched to Vuze
fhall1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:11 AM   #47
msandersen
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to msandersen
I used to use Transmission, but I fell victim to an intermittent resource-hogging bug that apparently affected a lot of users on their bugzilla, where the system would quickly grind to a halt as Transmission choked it. The developers couldn't track it down, blaming an OSX IO issue, although it only affected Transmission. uTorrent had matured sufficiently by then, though still in Beta, for me to try. It doesn't have all the features of the Windows version or of Transmission, esp the ability to move a torrent to a different location while keeping it alive, or placing downloads into specific locations. uTorrent at least gained the ability to place in folders matching the label you gave it. Maybe it's time to try it out again
msandersen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:50 AM   #48
blanka
macrumors 68000

µTorrent, as it is the only Torrent client that handles file-selections well.
If a data-block is shared between 2 files, all clients list both files in your download folder, even when you select just 1.
µTorrent does not, it only lists the selected file. This alone is making all other options unusable for me, as sub-selections are very important for me (MAME roms for example).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by msandersen View Post
It doesn't have all the features of the Windows version or of Transmission, esp the ability to move a torrent to a different location while keeping it alive, or placing downloads into specific locations.
It does. You have 2 options: change location automatically after completion, or do it manually by right-clicking it.

The only problem with µ is that it does not quit fast enough. If you pick shut-down, it often conflicts with quitting µTorrent. So you have to quit it manually first.
blanka is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store