Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmd1208

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
I wondering if someone could please help me. Yesterday, I purchased NAVGON (usa for my iPad 2. Downloaded all the maps, went to use it and it does not detect a GPS signal. :confused: I went to privacy settings to make sure it was on and it was. Does anyone know what could be wrong? I paid $49 yesterday, only to see it half price today for Black Friday - so I am feeling not too happy.:confused: Can anyone help??

Please help - thank you in advance,
Bryan
New Jersey

bmd1208

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
Is it a wifi only iPad? They don't have GPS chips

Yes, it is a Wifi only iPad 2. I am using it with a Verizon MyFi device. How is it that my WAZE navigation app works just fine? Any idea? BTW, thank you for replying to my original post.

Esoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Colorado
Only the cell radio equipped iPads have GPS chips in them. Sorry.

Waze must be working off WiFi signals, it can't be particularly accurate when traveling

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
There are apple compatible Bluetooth GPS units on the market, for example the bad elf (Bluetooth or 30 pin connector versions) and the dual xgps 150, the Garmin GLO, and others. You might want to investigate those.

I am probably going to try and sell a couple of used GPS iOS devices in the next week or two in the marketplace if I can't sell them locally.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Yes, it is a Wifi only iPad 2. I am using it with a Verizon MyFi device. How is it that my WAZE navigation app works just fine? Any idea? BTW, thank you for replying to my original post.

You can get a BAD ELF GPS unit.
Plugs into 30 pin connector, gives you GPS.

Also have BlueTooth GPS units if you don't want to have something sticking out your iPad.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010

Also, when used with a MiFi the GPS apps can erroneously think your location is wherever the main office for the Verizon ISP happens to be.

bmd1208

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
Thank you to all responders

I bought a Dual XGPS150 from Amazon ($99). I should get it tomorrow (Tuesday). I will report the results. Thanks again!!

(BTW) One thing I did try was, I tethered the signal using my iPhone 4 as a hotspot - It worked intermittently. Definitely not something I could live with...

bmd1208

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
I bought a Dual XGPS150 from Amazon ($99). I got it today. It easily paired with the iPad - it works GREAT - very happy :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.