Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janny1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2012
The story goes that the iPad mini 2 will have an even sharper display of 2,048 x 1,536 pixels packed into the same 7.9-inch space.
The mini 2 is said to have a crisp 324 ppi density.

So could that mean the iPad mini 2 release date is early 2013?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I don't think the iPad mini 2 will be released in early 2013. I think it is more likely to be released in the summer of 2013.

janny1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2012
I rather it comes out later than summer, like Fall or Sep is better...

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
My prior experience with iPads led me to go with a 32gb. But I like my mini so much that I am finding I should have gotten a 64gb.

My next one will be done right :D

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
The story goes that the iPad mini 2 will have an even sharper display of 2,048 x 1,536 pixels packed into the same 7.9-inch space.

Why didn't you just post this in one if the BILLION other threads about this? The story goes.....I could tell you a better story but I am not sure you would like it!

Internaut

macrumors 65816

Seems like overkill to me. PPI enough to do retinal/full HD is quite sufficient on a screen that size. Anything above 264 is just going to use up more processing power while giving no additional benefit to the average eye.

As for release date, why should Apple rush? It sounds like they barely keep up with demand for the Mk1 Mini.

TJ5921

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
Chances are there won't be anything new until the fall, given the incredible demand for the mini(apples best product):apple:

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004

I really don't think the mini will fit a retina with that many pixels in such a small space. So I don't think the mini 2 will have retina.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

1. AU Optronics who are developing the display for the retina mini are reported to not have it ready for production until Q4 2013

2. 2048 x 1536 pixels in a 7.9" display is NOT 324 ppi, but closer to 485 ppi hence it requires a completely new production technology, one that almost certainly is not ready for a release in early 2013 (see 1)

3. Currently the A6X chip which is powerful enough to drive a 2048 x 1536 display is far too power hungry to be grafted inside an iPad Mini. The iPad 3 & 4 have a 42 Watt battery, the ipad mini has a 15 Watt battery. Unless apple changes the processor/gpu to a powerful, but more efficient chipset it can not go into the Mini without resulting in 2-3 hour battery life. Such a chipset is not yet available and hence once more the liklihood of an early 2013 release is nothing but a dream in market analysts eyes.

4. Do we really need more of these threads?

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
Why didn't you just post this in one if the BILLION other threads about this? The story goes.....I could tell you a better story but I am not sure you would like it!

Amen!

Remember OP...there is a search feature and that often there is a thread (or in this case a dozen+ threads) discussing theories on the iPad 5 and Mini 2. It would be counterproductive if everyone with a theory started a new thread.

Hope you're enjoying your new iOS device and welcome to MacRumors!

janny1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2012
Ummm... why?

Because I can earn enough extra money for the new ipad mini 2 for my sister :p
she want a new tablet for her new college life

----------

1. AU Optronics who are developing the display for the retina mini are reported to not have it ready for production until Q4 2013

2. 2048 x 1536 pixels in a 7.9" display is NOT 324 ppi, but closer to 485 ppi hence it requires a completely new production technology, one that almost certainly is not ready for a release in early 2013 (see 1)

3. Currently the A6X chip which is powerful enough to drive a 2048 x 1536 display is far too power hungry to be grafted inside an iPad Mini. The iPad 3 & 4 have a 42 Watt battery, the ipad mini has a 15 Watt battery. Unless apple changes the processor/gpu to a powerful, but more efficient chipset it can not go into the Mini without resulting in 2-3 hour battery life. Such a chipset is not yet available and hence once more the liklihood of an early 2013 release is nothing but a dream in market analysts eyes.

So if we have not need of such thread, please close it here, looking for update news of ipad mini 2...:rolleyes:

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
one smart butt in here posted something about how he knows some people that knows people who work for some people which gave him the news about new Ipad coming in March.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Source???

Because 2048 x 1536 pixels in a 7.9" = 324PPI by definition and reality.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Source???

Because 2048 x 1536 pixels in a 7.9" = 324PPI by definition and reality.

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/0...tina-display-for-second-generation-ipad-mini/

http://www.menafn.com/menafn/e01168...ics-Developing-Retina-Panel-for-New-iPad-Mini

AU Optronics Developing Retina Panel for New iPad Mini

XINZHU, Nov 07, 2012 (Menafn - SinoCast Daily Business Beat via COMTEX) --With the disclosure of the specifications for the next-generation iPad Mini by Apple Inc. AAPL, AU Optronics Corp. (AUO, NYSE: AUO) has been developing a retina panel with resolution as high as 497ppi.

AUO plans to apply the retina panel to the next-generation iPad Mini, since the resolution of the product is much higher than that of 326ppi of the new iPad.

It is said that ultrahigh resolution can not be developed without the technology of indium gallium zinc oxide (IGZO), and the technology of Gate IC on array (GOA) is also indispensable since the next-generation iPad Mini will have an ultra-narrow frame. The technology of GOA helps save the room of IC on the rim and narrow the frame of the screen to the largest extent.

Speaking of the progress of the development of iPad Mini, AUO claimed that it had solved the problem of yield and there would be no light leak as existed before. The company would ship the products in large scale in the fourth quarter.

DoNews shortly after the November 7, 2007 (Fei Xue) officially listed on the Apple iPad mini iPad mini panel specifications about the next generation of network exposure. According to DoNews reporter learned, AUO is to develop a resolution of up to 497ppi retina (Retina) panel, ready to use him in the next generation of iPad mini.

iPad mini

Message is displayed, the next generation of Apple iPad mini resolution up to 2048x1536 pixel resolution, consistent with the latest Apple iPad, but the piece of the 7.9-inch screen, so that the new iPad mini per square pixels up to 497ppi, far exceeded the new iPad 264 pixels per inch (ppi), iPad mini screen display four times.

A latest screen will be a large number of shipments in the second half of next year, The new iPad mini should be a large number of shipments in the fourth quarter of next year. In the iPad mini market soon broke out this message DoNews the reporter less optimistic about the iPad mini will bring sales, Apple's new iPad mini "feeding increase", or a reasonable price, I believe will be excited from the consumer's desire to buy. (End)

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

From your first link

One major issue with both of the reports is confusion over the pixel density on these panels. Both reports claim that the Retina-level iPad mini display would carry a density of 497 pixels per inch (ppi), whereas such a display would actually have the same 326 ppi seen on the last several generations of the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.