Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Feb 2, 2013, 02:05 PM   #26
Dizzy11523
macrumors newbie

34 here and got it. Too much beer. I haven't had a real flare up since April. I dirnk lots of water and take Magnesium, Cherry pills and avoid meat daily.

Funny I found this topic here.
Dizzy11523 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 02:22 PM   #27
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork183 View Post
The most common treatments for an acute attack of gout are high doses of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) taken orally (by mouth) or corticosteroids, which are taken orally or injected into the affected joint. NSAIDs reduce the inflammation caused by deposits of uric acid crystals but have no effect on the amount of uric acid in the body. The NSAIDs most commonly prescribed for gout are indomethacin (Indocin*) and naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn), which are taken orally every day. Corticosteroids are strong anti-inflammatory hormones. The most commonly prescribed corticosteroid is prednisone. Patients often begin to improve within a few hours of treatment with a corticosteroid, and the attack usually goes away completely within a week or so.

When NSAIDs or corticosteroids do not control symptoms, the doctor may consider using colchicine. This drug is most effective when taken within the first 12 hours of an acute attack. Doctors may ask patients to take oral colchicine as often as every hour until joint symptoms begin to improve or side effects such as nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, or diarrhea make it uncomfortable to continue the drug.

For some patients, the doctor may prescribe either NSAIDs or oral colchicine in small daily doses to prevent future attacks.

Sometimes I just hate myself
There are also insane dietary restriction one is supposed to follow. Basically you are allowed to drink water and breath. A good friend has severe gout, and his allowed food list is pitifully short.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:36 PM   #28
Squilly
macrumors 68020

6 year bump from OP. That seems like a new record.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:50 PM   #29
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
6 year bump from OP. That seems like a new record.
Hardly!
mobilehaathi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:46 PM   #30
SkyBell
macrumors 603

I swear I spend more time google-ing what people are discussing on MR instead of actually discussing it with them.
Blueberry iBook G3, Apple IIc
SkyBell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:08 PM   #31
Namjins
macrumors member

I haven't had an attack for several years. I took allopurinol for a time and eventually stopped. For me if I drink a decent amount of water and eat some dried cherries every few days I'm fine. I also found that with a good exercise regimen, I drank more water and could pretty much eat what I wanted. Full disclosure: Doctor advised against the exercise and protein supplements, but it seems to have worked well for me.
Namjins is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion