Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Topper

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
I need a good Blu-ray ripper.
I heard good things about MakeMKV. So I bought it. Unfortunately it's failure rate is too high for me.
Anyone know of a good Windows Blu-ray ripper?

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I need a good Blu-ray ripper.
I heard good things about MakeMKV. So I bought it. Unfortunately it's failure rate is too high for me.

Interesting as you seem to be the first person I have seen (Mac or PC) that has considered MakeMKV to be overly problematic. I am sure the guys as DVDFab or Slysoft will appreciate your comments. Hint.

Topper

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Interesting as you seem to be the first person I have seen (Mac or PC) that has considered MakeMKV to be overly problematic. I am sure the guys as DVDFab or Slysoft will appreciate your comments. Hint.

Maybe I'm just unlucky.
Maybe my Blu-ray player isn't the best in the world.
For every three Blu-ray discs I try to copy, one ends up in failure.
I try to clean the discs. I try to copy the discs without subtitles or audio. It's a waste of time.
If the disc is a failure the first time, it will continue to be a failure.
Thank you.

Last edited:

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
First of all: I haven't ever ripped a BluRay. That being said: I read that the newest version of HandBrake can rip and even re-encode it for you (otherwise the amount of data you assemble is huge anyways...). It's free and may be worth giving a try.

Windows? Seriously? You might get lucky because many of us have both systems running, but there might be better places to ask about recommendations than a forum on "macrumors.com"... :)

Topper

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
First of all: I haven't ever ripped a BluRay. That being said: I read that the newest version of HandBrake can rip and even re-encode it for you (otherwise the amount of data you assemble is huge anyways...). It's free and may be worth giving a try.

Nope, Handbrake won't rip a protected Blu-ray disc.

Windows? Seriously? You might get lucky because many of us have both systems running, but there might be better places to ask about recommendations than a forum on "macrumors.com"... :)

Yes, seriously. You've heard of Bootcamp.
Mac people are smart. They can answer questions on anything.

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
Nope, Handbrake won't rip a protected Blu-ray disc.

Sorry, I might have sounded too offensive or like a smartass. I wasn't aiming to and apologize if that's the case.

As I said, I never ripped a BluRay, and it's good that the "protected" part has been mentioned in addition in this thread, that might help for future answers.

Yes, seriously. You've heard of Bootcamp.
Mac people are smart. They can answer questions on anything.

Of course I've heard of Bootcamp, that's why I wrote "many of us are running both systems". I still stand by the statement though that a PC forum might be a better place to look. On a Mac, you always have two systems and if you have a ripping software that works fine on OSX, you maybe won't look for a Windows alternative.

I honestly hope someone knows a good software for you, I just suggested you might consult other forums as well.

Again, no offense of any sort intended.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Both.
DVDFab worked beautifully. You'll be happy to know that it is Mac software.

I have archived my collection with both MakeMKV and Slysoft AnyDVD HD software. OSX and Windows respectively. In fact the Windows software resides in a virtual Windows. Other software to consider if you go Windows to help with files you have on the drive from those above programs - TSMuxer. There was an OSX version but it doesn't work with Lion. There are other freeware programs that round out the list, but that's for another forum discussion.

Best to you on archiving your discs.

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
I'm having the exact same problem, I've just ripped the bluray movie using makemkv and when I play it back after its been ripped using VLC the movie plays fine and I can see the subs that are in the Mkv, but then when I convert the Mkv using handbrake the subs have gone!!!..do you guys have any pointers to ripping a bluray and transcoding whilst maintaining the subs?

Just to check, you have selected the subtitle tracks in Handbrake? Also, although I haven't tested this, but if you're ripping to an m2v wrapper I'm not sure it supports subtitle tracks. If you re-convert back to MKV again (I'm assuming you're just shrinking it down to size) it should definitely maintain the subs.
299-subtitles_super.jpg

(oh, by the way this is a random screenshot from an old version I googled, don't use 'burned-in')

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago

I'm using the new Asus BRD with MKV, not one single issue having ripped 30+ Blu ray disks. Is DVD fab any good at 3D? It claims to be, but I don't want to buy it if its not...Happy to stick with the 2D platform for now...The only other option is Roxio toast platinum but at £140.00 it would have to be pretty darned special for me to buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.