Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
When a backup is performed on your iPad either to the Cloud or to a computer, I assume game saves such as Minecraft saves are also backed up. Can anyone confirm? Thanks!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just tried World of Tanks Blitz for iOS. You might find it interesting, but it's got tablet controls which are to be expected, teams are 6v6, maps are different than the PC version (no surprise) and the game because of its controls is nothing compared to its PC big brother which rocks. Controls consist of a move/turn virtual joystick ( left thumb), a turn swipe (right thumb), zoom and fire buttons. And there is a lock target function which you'll learn in the tutorial. I did not notice if controls can be reversed. It I was hard up for a tank combat game, I might play this more. :)

bli4.jpg

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Don't know if Organ Trail is available for iOS, but it is one of the few games I enjoy playing on a touchscreen. For anything else, I use my beefy gaming rig. :cool:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Are there any Age of Conquest fans here? It's an iOS world conquer game similiar to Risk but with some extra abilities. I'm playing the AoC Europe version. Note, there is an iOS version of Risk.

What I'm finding is that I can prevail in "easy", but in "normal" the game kicks my butt. Usually I'm fighting multiple countries, they always seem to have more resources than I do. It's very frustrating. It almost seems that AI led countries are granted more abilities than poor little me. :p I have yet to find a good online guise that unlocks the key to the AI strategy.

One more issue is that you can spend $2500 and get 2500 troops or you can build a $2500 tower so you can see into adjacent territories. Attacking while having no Intel on enemy strength is just stupid. I wonder if the AI countries worry about this, seems like they just roll on. Right now, while I struggle with this game, I'm playing in God mode that allows me to see current strength of neighboring territories, but does not tell you how many troops a country can suddenly pump into an area, which makes no sense to me. For example, I have 20000 troops, next door there is 700 troops, so I order an attack of 1500. But when the attack occurs suddenly there is 2500 troops there and the attack fails. This is a turn based game. The enemy should not have time to counter the attack, should it??

I like the style of game. Would like to hear suggestions of better alternatives.

Last edited:

UniDoubleU

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2014
Thailand
Telltale's games are great on the iPad. The Banner Saga was excellent also. XCOM games works really well on the iPad. Those were the games I've played most on the iPad in 2014.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Tiny Death Star- I installed this game over a year ago, disregarded it as a monumental waste of time. Then yesterday, I got a message from it and have been stopping in every so often to update/play it. Have I lost my mind? It's not as time intensive as Tapped Out, but I have no clue why I'm keeping this thing, that always is trying to lure me to spend money, going?? I need to erase it. No, lol, this is not a sneaky ad for the game. :confused:

maxresdefault.jpg

tds1.jpeg

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Tiny Death Star was fun in the beginning, but then it took longer and longer to get new characters - Of which I am sure most you have to pay for anyway - And that ruined the fun for me.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Tiny Death Star was fun in the beginning, but then it took longer and longer to get new characters - Of which I am sure most you have to pay for anyway - And that ruined the fun for me.

Not to sound overly negative, but I see no fun qualities in any of the characters or their activities, which is mostly buying goods with the Emperor shilling online web site buying opportunities. This really seems to be a brainless game. Is there any strategy involved at all? For example compare this to Plants vs Zombies, a pretty good little game. :)

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
Some games I recommend to get (they are not free but they are worth the money).

Catan (my favorite)
TTR Pocket (Ticket to Ride)
KOTOR (on sale now)
Knights of Pen and Paper
Civ Rev (Civilization)
Medieval (SIMS Medieval)

civ rev is for me an example of why i dont really play games on my ipad.

i mean i own tons, because i keep making the same mistake and forgetting the last time...

i have loved civ from civ 1 on my quadra 610 ruining my degree right up to civ 5. i honestly thought civ rev would be 'the new black'...

and its boring, over simplified, unengaging. i bought the first one, played it once, and that was enough, at a stage of having phalanxes i ran over a chest or wahtever it was, and i got a tank. so i ran round the map killing stick men with a tank. and gave up.

then i saw civ rev 2, and was about to buy it, until i realised its the same game, the same engine, just better graphics.

games on ipad seem to split into 3 types, simple games, some of which pass the time okay, games that should be complicated that have been dummed down (civ, football manager) and games that are complicated and id rather play on my mac.

id be struggling to think of many games out of all of the ones ive downloaded that were worth it.

but ive just bought republiqe and im sure ill still pop for oceanhorn at ome stage

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Tiny Death Star- I installed this game over a year ago, disregarded it as a monumental waste of time. Then yesterday, I got a message from it and have been stopping in every so often to update/play it. Have I lost my mind? It's not as time intensive as Tapped Out, but I have no clue why I'm keeping this thing, that always is trying to lure me to spend money, going?? I need to erase it. No, lol, this is not a sneaky ad for the game. :confused:

View attachment 532162

View attachment 532161

Tiny Death Star is deleted! It had no redeeming qualities, in fact besides zero skill required, just a time sink, and to progress in the game almost requires purchases or that you earn in-game bux by signing up for special offers on line. It's dispicable and its history.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Fallout Shelter by Bethesda released (I believe) in junction with the near future release of Fallout 4. It's free to download, just tried it for a bit and it's just another version of Tiny Deathstar. As the Overseer, you manage the occupants and resources in a never ending grind. A lot depends on how much tolerance you have for this kind of game. There are in-game purchases to speed things up, but why? They are expensive and it's still an infinite grind. On a casual basis, I lasted about a week with TD. Although this is much more polished, I expect about the same for this.

falloutshleterexploit_610a.jpg

In comparison, no comparison. ;)

maxresdefault.jpg

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Fallout Shelter by Bethesda released (I believe) in junction with the near future release of Fallout 4. It's free to download, just tried it for a bit and it's just another version of Tiny Deathstar. As the Overseer, you manage the occupants and resources in a never ending grind. A lot depends on how much tolerance you have for this kind of game. There are in-game purchases to speed things up, but why? They are expensive and it's still an infinite grind. On a casual basis, I lasted about a week with TD. Although this is much more polished, I expect about the same for this.

Yeah, cute and some fun ... already uninstalled.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

falloutshleterexploit_610a.jpg

In comparison, no comparison. ;)

maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah, cute and some fun ... already uninstalled.

A week later, and I'm still hanging in there with Fallout Shelter, surprising! Playing casual, a never ending grind. As soon as 2 unrelated people are moved to the living quarters, they start fooling around... Later in the game, a radio room can be established to attract new blood into the DNA pool. :)

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This game is available on both iOS and Mac- FTL, Faster Than Light, a real time strategy spaceship game. I recently restarted it and it's completely unforgiving on EASY setting. You can't restart your current level upon death? WTH- it's coming back to me why I stopped playing it before on my Mac. This game needs at least one thing, the ability to save completed levels as you progress, which it DOES NOT CURRENTLY HAVE. When you die, the game is over, no second chances. Really regretting I bought this for iOS. :(

Last edited:

puelocesar

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2013
I don't like the expression "serious gaming" you guys use. There's nothing serious about shooting a lot of people without any regard for human life, or killing magical monsters to fulfill our fantasy of power.

I think it's more related to how each hardware enable what control system. For example, for a action game, nothings beat a gamepad controller. I can't imagine playing Dark Souls on a mobile device, or even a keyboard and mouse.

For a strategy game, it's almost impossible to play without a mouse and keyboard.

Now, mobile devices excel in touch screen gestures and gyroscope. If the game uses them well, it's possible to create a great experience, like Monument Valley and many others did.

The main problem of mobile today is the freemium cancer, that's killing us indie developers. It's just too difficult to compete with companies actively buying users to hook them and profit later.

-- edit --

Forgot to mention, i found that Game of Thrones Telltale games are much better to control on iPad then on ps3, at least it's my impression. The graphics are hideous, but anyway...

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I don't like the expression "serious gaming" you guys use. There's nothing serious about shooting a lot of people without any regard for human life, or killing magical monsters to fulfill our fantasy of power.

I think it's more related to how each hardware enable what control system. For example, for a action game, nothings beat a gamepad controller. I can't imagine playing Dark Souls on a mobile device, or even a keyboard and mouse.

For a strategy game, it's almost impossible to play without a mouse and keyboard.

Now, mobile devices excel in touch screen gestures and gyroscope. If the game uses them well, it's possible to create a great experience, like Monument Valley and many others did.

The main problem of mobile today is the freemium cancer, that's killing us indie developers. It's just too difficult to compete with companies actively buying users to hook them and profit later.

-- edit --

Forgot to mention, i found that Game of Thrones Telltale games are much better to control on iPad then on ps3, at least it's my impression. The graphics are hideous, but anyway...

You've got it wrong. Serious gaming has nothing to do with indiscriminate killing or fighting monsters. It has to do with games that can be played on a very casual basis, possibly shallow vs those that are more in-depth or require dedication and devotion to excel at. It's contrasting large scale, in-depth AAA games like WoW, Eve, HalfLife 2, Elder Scrolls, Fallout 4 (serious gaming), with casual gaming like Candy Crush, Fallout Shelter, Angry Birds, and the multitude of Find-The-Hidden-Object games.

Last edited:

puelocesar

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2013
You've got it wrong. Serious gaming has nothing to do with indiscriminate killing or fighting monsters. It has to do with games that can be played on a very casual basis, possibly shallow vs those that are more in-depth or require dedication and devotion to excel at. It's contrasting large scale, in-depth AAA games like WoW, Eve, HalfLife 2, Elder Scrolls, Fallout 4 (serious gaming), with casual gaming like Candy Crush, Fallout Shelter, Angry Birds, and the multitude of Find-The-Hidden-Object games.

FIFA is an AAA game that you can either spend a lot of time and dedication on it, or just play it casually, in what category is it? It's just an example, but I just don't think it's so black and white as you are proposing.

Also, I really hate candy crush and similar games, but that's because of their "drug dealer" approach for game design. These kind of games are killing off what mobile gaming could've been, and with a serious risk of "infecting" games elsewhere.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
With the wife's help (actually she found it) I've been playing with Jigsaw HD on my iPad. It's oddly compelling. You could say I'm an old fogey, but I'll note in the dark ages before iPads, jigsaw puzzles were something I/we actually did on occasion for entertainment!

I'm noticing that for my iPad the 440 piece puzzle size is a bit much, not impossible, but more work and time than I want to spend putting a picture puzzle together. The smaller 200 or 300 puzzle size seems to be a nice fit and balance between enjoyable and work on the small iPad screen as compared to a normal 500-1000 piece puzzle. The App includes in-app purchases, but it also has several free puzzle collections along with a free daily puzzle. :)

Last edited:

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
With the wife's help (actually she found it) I've been playing with Jigsaw HD on my iPad. It's oddly compelling. You could say I'm an old fogey, but I'll note in the dark ages before iPads, jigsaw puzzles were something I/we actually did on occasion for entertainment!

I'm noticing that for my iPad the 440 piece puzzle size is a bit much, not impossible, but more work and time than I want to spend putting a picture puzzle together. The smaller 200 or 300 puzzle size seems to be a nice fit and balance between enjoyable and work on the small iPad screen as compared to a normal 500-100 piece puzzle. The App includes in-app purchases, but it also has several free puzzle collections along with a free daily puzzle. :)

We just started an 'IRL' 2000 piece puzzle ... I think that puzzles and board games are things I will stick to the old-school versions ... :)

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.