iMovie imports - grey thumbnails, can't select - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:12 PM   #1
mike.bb
macrumors newbie

iMovie imports - grey thumbnails, can't select

I'm running the latest iMovie purchased via the App Store. I've imported videos in the past from my gopro but I'm having a problem with an event. I have several vids to import as an event but two problems. The thumbnails take 3 hours to generate but then they're all grey anyway. Also about 50% of the videos I can make selections from. If I drag the into my project I get audio only. It i try to preview them in the event library it skips back to the first clip in the event.

I've deleted my thumbnails and restarted twice. It rebuilds thumbnails but no change.

Any ideas what the fix may be?
mike.bb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:15 PM   #2
mike.bb
macrumors newbie

I did some testing. It seems to be happening with my 720p videos from my GoPro.

I also converted the videos to M4V but really no change. The thumbnails are better but still not working. I still get audio only from the clips if I select them.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:49 PM   #3
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

This maybe your problem:
http://www.anymediaeditor.com/articl...-to-imovie.php

Before paying for anything try MPEGSTreamclip. Open your video file and then Export to Quicktime and use the Apple Intermediate Codec(AIC) option. This is what iMovie is designed for so hopefully it should work.
http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:07 PM   #4
mike.bb
macrumors newbie

I was able to get them to import by just moving the imported videos to their own imovie events with only a max of 6 videos in each event. Odd that simply moving the videos fixes the thumbnails and playback issues.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:20 PM   #5
Bkxmnr
macrumors regular

Try changing the extension from m4v to mp4. It has worked for me in the past. YMMV though.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:53 PM   #6
mike.bb
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkxmnr View Post
Try changing the extension from m4v to mp4. It has worked for me in the past. YMMV though.
My issue was MP4s from my gopro not importing. I repackaged as M4V with no change in results.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store