Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Hey, I have a pretty major problem, not sure what went wrong. I upgraded my hard drive in my mid-'10 macbook pro 13". Before swapping them out, I used disk utility to make a .dmg of my drive (read only). (I have a second external drive). Once I got things changed over, I finally try to mount or open this .dmg file and it can't. I try mounting it, wait hours and it can't do it at the very end. I've tried disk warrior, but it can't replace the directory as it is read only. I wait hours for it to convert to read+write, as I thought maybe the read only option was the issue, but, it did nothing. I can't seem to do anything with this image of my old hard drive. Problem is, I already formatted the old drive with 7-write option. :( There has got to be a way to at least run disk warrior and replace the directory.

Anyone know what/if anything can be done? I have photos and other stuff that's irreplaceable on there.

Error I get when I try to mount w/Disk Utility:
ScreenShot2012-12-04at85857AM.png

Error I get when I try first aid on image file, tells me to repair, but it is grayed out, can't repair (I guess 'cause I made it read only):
ScreenShot2012-12-04at90053AM.png

Error I get with disk warrior (replace button grayed out, can't replace directory, this sucks as this would likely cure whatever the issue is):
ScreenShot2012-12-04at101821AM.png

benji888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
United States
:confused:Anyone have any idea what I can do to open the .dmg file? ...Via Terminal?:confused:

...is there some way I can force disk warrior to replace the directory, even though the replace button is grayed out, (can't press it)? ...there has to be a way, help!

benji888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Problem mysteriously solved.

oddly, I opened disk utility today and there were two .dmg files there, I opened the second one...I guess the conversion to read+write worked, maybe it didn't show up right away, or after a restart?:confused:

I am copying files over as I write this, so all is fixed, ...except the mystery.

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2010
Hi, I see you have solved the problem so I hope you don't mind this question. I have the same MPB as you have and I am thinking of replacing the stock Toshiba 250GB drive in it with something bigger. May I ask what you have replaced yours with? And how is it compared to the stock drive in terms of noise & vibration (Toshiba 250GB is like a SSD - no vibrations whatsoever at all and in a dead-silent room I hear a fan spinning at 2000rpm over the drive spinning).

benji888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Hi, I see you have solved the problem so I hope you don't mind this question. I have the same MPB as you have and I am thinking of replacing the stock Toshiba 250GB drive in it with something bigger. May I ask what you have replaced yours with? And how is it compared to the stock drive in terms of noise & vibration (Toshiba 250GB is like a SSD - no vibrations whatsoever at all and in a dead-silent room I hear a fan spinning at 2000rpm over the drive spinning).

When I replaced I found that my stock drive was a Seagate (Apple uses multiple sources from what I understand).

I haven't noticed it being loud, but, I'm not sure yet about vibrations, as I have not used it on my lap yet, it's been on my desk as I've been changing things around and/or busy. I got it because I outgrew my 250GB drive long ago. I would prefer 1TB, but this one was a great deal, big enough, 7200rpm, still on sale (at least today): http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seagate/ST9750422AS/ They also have great information on upgrading, video for this specific mac for changing the drive. (these guys also make Apple compatible ram with lifetime warranty, best place for ram outside of apple.) ... But, I'm pretty sure Apple uses 5400rpm stock drives as they are much less likely to have vibrations. I'll try to remember to update after I've got it all set up the way I want and have used it on my lap.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
United States
... how is it compared to the stock drive in terms of noise & vibration

If it is completely silent in the room I can hear the drive, but not when the fan spins up (typical of 7200rpm drives). I don't notice any vibration whatsoever. I'm very happy with it so far. ...it looks like the price went up $10 to $69 though.

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2010
If it is completely silent in the room I can hear the drive, but not when the fan spins up (typical of 7200rpm drives). I don't notice any vibration whatsoever. I'm very happy with it so far. ...it looks like the price went up $10 to $69 though.

Thanks for coming back regarding this. I am actually looking into a Toshiba 5400rpm 1 TB drive just to have a bit quieter machine. It would be perfectly silent if it were a single-platter drive, but those are 500GB max with the current technology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.