Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yass-Attack

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2010
I'm using a Macbook Pro (summer of 2012 version) and display mirroring on a Sony Bravia. I was wondering if there was a way to mirror only one specific screen (the one that will be playing a movie) while being able to use the laptop for browsing at the same time during the movie. Thank you.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Sort of. You could mirror one screen to an Apple TV and use the other for browsing - however - you can't have the movie full-screen. If you do, the other screen will just be greyed out so you can't use it for browsing.

Your best bet is instead of mirroring to your Sony, use iTunes Home Sharing and stream the movie to the Apple TV. You won't be using any of the Mac's displays doing that.

F

fishcove

I'm using a Macbook Pro (summer of 2012 version) and display mirroring on a Sony Bravia. I was wondering if there was a way to mirror only one specific screen (the one that will be playing a movie) while being able to use the laptop for browsing at the same time during the movie. Thank you.

I might be misunderstanding your question, but you might try Extended Desktop mode instead of Mirroring.

Then just drag the movie window to the second screen (the Sony) and maximize it.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I might be misunderstanding your question, but you might try Extended Desktop mode instead of Mirroring.

Then just drag the movie window to the second screen (the Sony) and maximize it.
When you maximize a screen on a Mac (Lion or Mountain Lion), the other screen goes blank & can't be used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.