Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoeFig44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
I have a couple of Network Media Tanks (Popcorn Hour boxes), namely PCH-A110 & a PCH-A200. They work great for all my mkv content and allow me to plug in a usb drive so I can take it all on the go.

I was thinking of selling the A110 and buying an Apple TV 3 as the jailbreak should be coming out soon.

I still have a need to keep one PCH at least so I can do what I mentioned above and so I can watch content at the cottage in the summer (no network there for streaming, which I believe is all the APTV can do).

Is it true that the APTV jailbroken won't be able to play mkv via usb external drive?

Also, is this a smart move to ditch the A110, keep the A200 and use the $ to get an APTV so I can also obtain the additional content from online sources through APTV?

Finally my last question is about xbox 360 media capabilities vs jailbroken aptv. What will I gain with aptv jailbroken vs. just spending a bit more and getting an xbox 360. I'll gain the game capability but wondering if I lose anything significant in the media area?

mwulf67

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
I was thinking of selling the A110 and buying an Apple TV 3 as the jailbreak should be coming out soon.

Yes, Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny almost have it really...seriously, I wouldn't bank on a ATV3 jailbreak anytime soon; maybe it will, maybe it won't...but if jail breaking that important to you, I wouldn't make any buying decision based on rumor and promises....supposedly, just a few more days to waiting anyway...supposedly....

JoeFig44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Yes, Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny almost have it really...seriously, I wouldn't bank on a ATV3 jailbreak anytime soon; maybe it will, maybe it won't...but if jail breaking that important to you, I wouldn't make any buying decision based on rumor and promises....supposedly, just a few more days to waiting anyway...supposedly....

Thanks, but how about the comparison between what a jailbreak aptv can do vs. an xbox 360? More interested in that actually as will be picking up one or the other very soon.

mwulf67

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Thanks, but how about the comparison between what a jailbreak aptv can do vs. an xbox 360? More interested in that actually as will be picking up one or the other very soon.

I don't know, I have neither a jailbroken ATV or a 360...just pointing out the ATV3 can't be jailbroken as of right now...so either you'er trying to compare the 360 to something that doesn't exist and may never exist, or you need to be looking at and talking about a ATV2, which can be jaikbroken....I understand the rumors and claims floating around about some impending ATV3 jailbreak, I just wouldn't buy anything base on them...buy hey, do what you want...

Scrub175

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2012
Port St Lucie FL
As far as between Xbox and jb atv, I like the menu system and control offered on atv. Performance wise I feel atv streams a little better and less files not recognized than on Xbox. Of course this is jb atv.

The Xbox smartglass app gives control via phone or tablet an enhancement but still I prefer the menu structure of atv. Xbox now has a browser and a jb atv can install a browser so that big difference is negated.

Ultimately I prefer my atv to stream as its less wear and tear on my Xbox. Unfortunately I upgraded to atv3 and miss all those jb features now.

UG.Frontera

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2011
United Kingdom
As far as between Xbox and jb atv, I like the menu system and control offered on atv. Performance wise I feel atv streams a little better and less files not recognized than on Xbox. Of course this is jb atv.

The Xbox smartglass app gives control via phone or tablet an enhancement but still I prefer the menu structure of atv. Xbox now has a browser and a jb atv can install a browser so that big difference is negated.

Ultimately I prefer my atv to stream as its less wear and tear on my Xbox. Unfortunately I upgraded to atv3 and miss all those jb features now.

I have a question about streaming on the ATV3. Have you converted all your media to iTunes standard, or do you use that AirPlay thing? I'm going to be buying one today for Netflix and some stuff I have on iTunes at the moment.

But I have a lot of MKV I'm hoping I can use my MBA for to stream to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.