Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:05 PM   #1
migs.migeezie
macrumors newbie

Does USB 3.0 matter for external enclosure for stock Macbook Pro 2012 HDD

I have a Mid 2012 Macbook Pro (9,1) and I just purchased a SSD and Im thinking of using the current 5400 rpm 500 GB hard drive as a portable external drive for media and/or back up and im trying to figure out which enclosure to get.

My concern really lies in whether or not I will get increased speeds using USB 3.0 or just stick with a USB 2.0 enclosure. I ran Black magic speed test while it was in my macbook pro and im getting around 64 MB/s write and 89 MB/s read.

The reason I ask is mainly because the reviews Ive been reading on a lot of USB 3.0 drives are mixed while there are a few USB 2.0 drives that have some great reviews and are quite inexpensive.

So will there really be that much of a real world difference between 2.0 and 3.0 Or does anyone have suggestion on which enclosures would be a good fit.

I believe the internal HDD is a Hitachi Travelstar HTS547550A9E384 according to a model search.

Any help would be great.
migs.migeezie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:08 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba

It does matter, since USB 2.0 only offers around 37 MB/s sequential read or write speeds, USB 3. enclosures (be sure to read up on them when researching, there is a thread about some of them being compared with an SSD and those tested almost all delivered at least S-ATA 1.5 Gbps (S-ATA I) speeds, which would be more than enough for a 5,400 RPM HDD) will be faster than USB 2.0 enclosures.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:22 AM   #3
migs.migeezie
macrumors newbie

Ok great thanks. Yeah I've been searching through the threads trying to find suggestions on USB 3.0 enclosures. Ill keep looking.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:59 AM   #4
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040

"Does USB 3.0 matter for external enclosure for stock Macbook Pro 2012 HDD"

YES. It matters A GREAT DEAL.

Suggestion:
Pick your enclosure FIRST, then find a drive to go in it.

You want an enclosure with either an
ASMedia 1051e controller chip
or an
ASMedia 1053 controller chip.

Both of these support the new high-speed UASP (USB Attached SCSI Protocol) for faster performance on UASP capable systems.

If you are looking for a 2.5" enclosure, this one looks to be good:
http://oyendigital.com/hard-drives/store/U32-M.html

Have you considered using a USB3/SATA "docking station"?
If so, check out the "stand up" and "lay-flat" docks by plugable.com (available at amazon.com)

I use a plugable.com "lay-flat" dock with an Intel 520 series SSD, attached to my Mac Mini. I get read speeds of 410mbps and writes of 247mbps. Pretty good for an external device via USB3!
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:45 PM   #5
migs.migeezie
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrrman View Post
If you are looking for a 2.5" enclosure, this one looks to be good:
http://oyendigital.com/hard-drives/store/U32-M.html
I did look at that usb enclosure and although the price is what made me not go into too much more depth on it. But I'll look into it more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrrman View Post
Have you considered using a USB3/SATA "docking station"?
If so, check out the "stand up" and "lay-flat" docks by plugable.com (available at amazon.com)
The main reason I hadnt looked at these docks is really I was looking at portability and using it as a drive for all my media and art files while on the go. But the more i think of it, and considering i have plenty of desktop external drives to do backups on at home, I should really just go with something that is fast and portable for my media.

I just didnt want to waste a perfectly good harddrive thats hardly been used. But I appreciate the help.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals