5/5- Great 11 21.15%
Not Gonna See It. 3 5.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 1, 2013, 09:40 AM   #101
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant View Post
Lately I've just been watching the first twenty minutes and the part with the ship in it...

...and then you turn it off? If you like SciFi, you'd have to see Prometheus based on this one scene that was prominent in previews/trailers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvalidUserID View Post
I watched it a few hours ago and I thought it was good.

- The opening "waterfall" sequence was confusing.
- Yes, quarantine protocol or lack thereof.
- The "eel" scene was NUTS. Ugh!
- If the "engineers" and humans have the same DNA, why did the initial alien come out as a squid yet when it "pairs" with an engineer, it becomes the serpent alien we know of?
- God Charlize Theron is gorgeous without a lot of makeup. I wish I could look that great without makeup!

How were the lines for everyone else? Leaving the theater at 7pm, the line for the later shows was already around the front (Mercado in Santa Clara).
After watching it yesterday, regarding the waterfall sequence, there would have to be other ways to introduce life to a planet, but maybe this was some cherished ritual of the engineers? And as far as the different types of aliens, I assume it's due to mutations.

Last edited by Huntn; Jun 1, 2013 at 09:50 AM.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2013, 01:26 PM   #102
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
I think that was one of the problems with Prometheus, expectations based on the Aliens franchise, however parts of the Alien franchise sucked BIG TIME (as I think of the abominations called Aliens 3 and Aliens Resurrection), puke! Although not perfect, Prometheus has reversed the downward spiral of the previous stories.
Wait they made an Alien 3 and 4? Oh those were bad, very bad............
Old Jun 1, 2013, 11:21 PM   #103
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

Quote:
...and then you turn it off? If you like SciFi, you'd have to see Prometheus based on this one scene that was prominent in previews/trailers.
Well I've seen the movie like 8 times end to end. So now I enjoy the movie in chunks.
obeygiant is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2013, 10:36 AM   #104
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant View Post
Well I've seen the movie like 8 times end to end. So now I enjoy the movie in chunks.
I usually do that when watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy... I fast forward to the next good scene.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 05:49 PM   #105
Supa_Fly
macrumors 68030

Send a message via MSN to Supa_Fly
Quote:
I usually do that when watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy... I fast forward to the next good scene.
lol, funny I did that with all the books - 25 pages to describe an environment which did nothing more to help the next part of the story and nothing to recall back to it annoyed my wandering mind. I've never done that with Sci-Fi movies though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
Wait they made an Alien 3 and 4? Oh those were bad, very bad............
I actually liked those! Common you didn't like the original actor from the 80's Beauty & The Beast TV show saying "Does not compute!?!" lol. Although when I first saw it I was dying for a break-out or comic relief of "shake, shake, shake señora, shake your batti-line .."

Quote:
The exploding head did nothing for the story. I guess it can be written off as a random event. I remember having quarantine jitters watching that scene as they were yelling "contain it, contain it!".

I did not see them getting lost either, because they maintained comms when inside the pyramid and they had personal locator displays of them on the display back at the ship. This is a weak point in the story to serve up two crew members for sacrifice.
Exploding head:
Describes anything can happen to an artifact especially organize. Also just to bring back the jitters of those whom saw Alien when it first debuted in theatres or WUTV29 back in the day (seems to have worked lol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
Call me a sucker but I will go see it......... As much as I disliked the first one, I am still a sucker for sci-fi and of course for Alien related stuff!

I will go in with lower expectations if you will. But yup I want to see it lol
I will also see it as I'm a sucker for GOOD production Sci-Fi movies! I actually liked Prometheus!
Old Jun 3, 2013, 07:14 PM   #106
Supa_Fly
macrumors 68030

Prometheus Questions - Baffled

Ok loved this movie but I'm so confused with a few things.

Throughout all the deep research and explanation of the architects' being the originators of humanity, could the writers not explain how cryogenics worked or how a fuel could be burned over so many millions of miles and not consume every inch of that ship!?!

Storage room when breached the climate changed and thus the mural did as well. Was a Queen Alien also present?

Earth origin … when the architect drank that nasty soup, not once did he show fear in what he was doing, not until his leg broke and he looked at his arm fading away. So why was the other one fearful of being violated for larva injection? That planet had no life on it either?

What happened to the first mutated alien that sieged the first ship? How come it didn't try to enter the other chambers and then proceed to eat the other architects' sleeping? Did it die of starvation? Because no forced sign of entry was made, and the goo they leave behind when salivating was present when the people saw the bodies (or just before)??

Most importantly, that dude that called the diggers dummy's and those sensors his pups … how come he did mutated, and not breed an alien?

Ok I think I'm going to re-watch this movie again tonight since I have it … some of my memory is vague.

PS: If I'm correct that Predators and Aliens had the same creators - originally in the comics before the movies
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:02 AM   #107
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa_Fly View Post
Ok loved this movie but I'm so confused with a few things.

Throughout all the deep research and explanation of the architects' being the originators of humanity, could the writers not explain how cryogenics worked or how a fuel could be burned over so many millions of miles and not consume every inch of that ship!?!
"They" deemed an explanation as not important to the story. Just take it at face value. This was not a Michael Crichton story or David Weber story. Both of them like to explain tech aspects of their stories.

Quote:
Storage room when breached the climate changed and thus the mural did as well. Was a Queen Alien also present?
I don't believe so. The source of the alien critters was the mutation goo.

Quote:
Earth origin … when the architect drank that nasty soup, not once did he show fear in what he was doing, not until his leg broke and he looked at his arm fading away. So why was the other one fearful of being violated for larva injection? That planet had no life on it either?
The one who was impregnated at the end? I think what happened on Earth was a ceremony where one of the Engineers (Architects from Halo? ) volunteered to sacrifice himself, although my personal view is there would be an easier way to seed the planet. As we saw holograms of Engineers running away, I think it's safe speculation that they all did not have sacrificial death wishes.

Quote:
What happened to the first mutated alien that sieged the first ship? How come it didn't try to enter the other chambers and then proceed to eat the other architects' sleeping? Did it die of starvation? Because no forced sign of entry was made, and the goo they leave behind when salivating was present when the people saw the bodies (or just before)??
Left to speculation. Which ship?

Quote:
Most importantly, that dude that called the diggers dummy's and those sensors his pups … how come he did mutated, and not breed an alien?
Results are not consistent. Fifield, the geologist was the one who got sprayed in the face with acid, but he had his helmet on which then melted and he fell into the goo. Exposed, he was mutated, just like the boy friend, Holloway was exposed by a naughty robot and he started to mutate. The other guy Milburn, the biologist was eaten by the eel thingies.

Another unknown is how much mutation takes place? Remember they spoke of this place as being a bio-weapon site. It's possible what happened on Earth was in the name of good mutation, while this location was about bad mutation used as a weapon.

The biggest mystery is why did they change their minds about Earth and after creating life, now want to harm it? Unknown. Maybe we were big disappointments to them...

Really this story has to be taken for face value or "just" entertainment. If you are familiar with how evolution takes place, environmental pressures change outcomes, and that if you seeded the planet with fragments of your DNA to create primitive life forms, there would be no guarantees what you'd end up with. The basic premise of the movie is that it was aliens who seeded the planet with life or altered the life that was all ready forming there, and then after humanoids developed, they had a relationship with early civilizations. I can buy it.

Last edited by Huntn; Jun 4, 2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 08:18 PM   #108
Supa_Fly
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Left to speculation. Which ship?
.. "As we saw holograms of Engineers running away," - I'm thinking from the hologram one of the architects where already 'violated' or impregnated and gave birth to a full stage alien already, so what happend to that one? Did it move onto another ship - maybe the one that last earth survivor female left on? (ok my mind is spinning all over the place now).

Quote:
The biggest mystery is why did they change their minds about Earth and after creating life, now want to harm it? Unknown. Maybe we were big disappointments to them...
or maybe after the relationship of early civilized man, they had seen us as a threat to their other worldly experiments elsewhere since we had interstellar travel and seemingly some control over age, etc. A child cannot be the parent/god when one already exists, right? Then again maybe there intent was to mutate us as a 2nd of many stages ... you know because they can
Old Jun 9, 2013, 11:56 PM   #109
eternlgladiator
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa_Fly View Post
.. "As we saw holograms of Engineers running away," - I'm thinking from the hologram one of the architects where already 'violated' or impregnated and gave birth to a full stage alien already, so what happend to that one? Did it move onto another ship - maybe the one that last earth survivor female left on? (ok my mind is spinning all over the place now).

or maybe after the relationship of early civilized man, they had seen us as a threat to their other worldly experiments elsewhere since we had interstellar travel and seemingly some control over age, etc. A child cannot be the parent/god when one already exists, right? Then again maybe there intent was to mutate us as a 2nd of many stages ... you know because they can
This will blow your mind if you haven't read it.

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1
eternlgladiator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 09:20 AM   #110
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternlgladiator View Post
This will blow your mind if you haven't read it.

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1
That is an informative link which I've read earlier in the thread.

What you can't pick up from the film itself, is what happened 2000 years ago to "change the goo" and have it turn on the Engineers? According to that article it had to be exposed to flawed humans. 2000 years ago, a significant event happened in Christianity. My guess is that is a significant plot point, however it's unknown what exactly occurred on LV223 that killed most of the Engineers.

From the link:
Quote:
So how did our (in the context of the film) terrible murderous act of crucifixion end up wiping out all but one of the Engineers back on LV-223? Presumably through the black slime, which evidently models its behaviour on the user's mental state. Create unselfishly, accepting self-destruction as the cost, and the black stuff engenders fertile life. But expose the potent black slimy stuff to the thoughts and emotions of flawed humanity, and 'the sleep of reason produces monsters'. We never see the threat that the Engineers were fleeing from, we never see them killed other than accidentally (decapitation by door), and we see no remaining trace of whatever killed them. Either it left a long time ago, or it reverted to inert black slime, waiting for a human mind to reactivate it.
That black goo is some dangerous ****...

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion