Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:25 AM   #26
blackbelter
macrumors member

OMG. Why hasn't mine arrived? Why? Why? Why? The wait is killing me.

DHL, be quick!!
blackbelter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:17 AM   #27
weas
macrumors member

LOL cross your fingers for a good screen too!
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:08 AM   #28
weas
macrumors member

I just got my iPad 4 replaced. The screen is still warmer but as bright as the iPad 3's
I think I will live with that.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:19 AM   #29
guitargoddsjm
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to guitargoddsjm
The yellowish hue is caused by, if I recall correctly, a bonding agent for the screen. Because the first batches are getting shipped straight from the factory, there isn't enough time for it to fully cure. It should cure and the colors will cool down in the next few days. The same thing happens at every launch.
guitargoddsjm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:28 AM   #30
hobx
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargoddsjm View Post
The yellowish hue is caused by, if I recall correctly, a bonding agent for the screen. Because the first batches are getting shipped straight from the factory, there isn't enough time for it to fully cure. It should cure and the colors will cool down in the next few days. The same thing happens at every launch.
Finally an explanation. I'd read this before but had completely forgotten. And everyone else just says it will get better, which doesn't actually explain it...
hobx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:55 AM   #31
Achilles75
macrumors member

Quote:
If this is true, what's a reasonable period to wait for the screen to become uniform before insisting on a new one? Is there any data out there supporting this issue, or how long it takes to resolve on its own? As long as Apple will agree to replace my iPad outside of the typical 14 day return window, and recognizes this as a defect if it doesn't go away, I've got no real problem giving it several days (weeks?) to resolve.
Achilles75 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:18 AM   #32
D.T.
macrumors 68020

Quote:
That's definitely been discussed and people have seen de-yellowing after 3-5 days.

Somebody even accelerating it by generating as much internal heat as possible ... found the thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1345828

YMMV.

Mine is a touch warmer vs. my 3rd gen, but very uniform and not "yellow".
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:58 AM   #33
guitargoddsjm
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles75 View Post
If this is true, what's a reasonable period to wait for the screen to become uniform before insisting on a new one? Is there any data out there supporting this issue, or how long it takes to resolve on its own? As long as Apple will agree to replace my iPad outside of the typical 14 day return window, and recognizes this as a defect if it doesn't go away, I've got no real problem giving it several days (weeks?) to resolve.
It should cure within a week. If it's not better a few days before your return/exchange window, I'd say exchange it.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:40 PM   #34
albertsw
macrumors member

Quote:
Thats not true. The glue only leaves little yellow blotches on the screen, it doesn't make the entire screen yellow. All the screens vary a little. If your screen is "yellow" then try playing a movie on full brightness for a few hours and see if it became more white after that.

I don't know why people still say its glue. That was only a minor problem on the iPhone 4 and it went away most of the time.
albertsw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:45 PM   #35
guitargoddsjm
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertsw View Post
Thats not true. The glue only leaves little yellow blotches on the screen, it doesn't make the entire screen yellow. All the screens vary a little. If your screen is "yellow" then try playing a movie on full brightness for a few hours and see if it became more white after that.

I don't know why people still say its glue. That was only a minor problem on the iPhone 4 and it went away most of the time.
Sorry, but you're misinformed.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:55 PM   #36
albertsw
macrumors member

Quote:
No. The glue only creates little blotches on the screen and does not make the entire screen yellow.
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/24/...g-agent-dries/
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:11 PM   #37
Dlanod
macrumors 6502a

My 4 has a great screen - much better than my 3. I went through about 7 different 3s due to uneven yellow/pink screens and eventually waited for a month and got one that was acceptable. It was still uneven though. First thing I noticed about the 4 was the awesome even screen.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:22 PM   #38
Hello...
macrumors 6502a

Yellow screens again....

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
That's definitely been discussed and people have seen de-yellowing after 3-5 days.

Somebody even accelerating it by generating as much internal heat as possible ... found the thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1345828

YMMV.

Mine is a touch warmer vs. my 3rd gen, but very uniform and not "yellow".
I had a few yellow tinted iPads, nothing including wrapping it in a towel removed the yellow
Hello... is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:23 PM   #39
guitargoddsjm
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertsw View Post
No. The glue only creates little blotches on the screen and does not make the entire screen yellow.
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/24/...g-agent-dries/
Did you look at the link I posted? I think it's safe to assume that this iPad uses a similar manufacturing process as the most recent iPhone 5 rather than the 2010 iPhone 4. It's also possible that the blotching (that's a weird word...) was caused by uneven application/drying of the bonding agent.

All I'm saying is that this is a more reasonable explanation than massive, widespread QC failures.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:10 PM   #40
weas
macrumors member

They told me in the store today that the sceen color has a tolerance that can go from same sort of yellowish tone to a bluer color. So I think that we are cool as long as the color is uniform.
We also have to remember that these displays are now manufactured by LG so it's normal if they are slightly different
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:14 PM   #41
albertsw
macrumors member

Quote:
Did you look at the link I posted? I think it's safe to assume that this iPad uses a similar manufacturing process as the most recent iPhone 5 rather than the 2010 iPhone 4. It's also possible that the blotching (that's a weird word...) was caused by uneven application/drying of the bonding agent.

All I'm saying is that this is a more reasonable explanation than massive, widespread QC failures.
Yes I looked at the link. Im just saying that the glue isn't the problem. All panels are a little different.
If the glue is causing screens to be yellow then what makes some of the screens blueish?
And the iPad 4 screen manufacturing is more similar to the 2010 iPhone 4 because the screen has three layers whereas the iPhone 5 has 2 because of in-cell touch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	In-Cell-Touch-Panel-how-it-works-what-it-is-diagram-550x352-jpg.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	375273  
Old Nov 5, 2012, 06:07 PM   #42
nishishei
macrumors regular

My house had two iPad3s... the first one was purchased near launch and had an even cool blue tint which was great I thought for reading, since on low brightness it had a paperish gray effect. My wife's iPad3 which I bought just before the iPad4 launch has a yellowish-green screen, two toned depending on viewing angle. We promptly returned that one. It may be that Apple has switched to a different screen recently or it's just entirely the luck of draw what you get.
nishishei is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad