Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which cellular size for the mini iPad?

• 16G LTE

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • 32G LTE

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • 64G LTE

Votes: 6 20.0%

• Total voters

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
I'm waiting for the LTE model to come out and debating whether I should get the 16G or 32G. Of course if I knew for certain that the retina would come out in 6 months, I would just get the 16g. I only intend to use for light use when traveling for business, email check, and quick internet search for info.

Anyone notice their 16g mini quickly filled already with Apps and personal data?

Those getting the cellular version on friday: Which size are you getting and WHY?

THFourteen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
London
I went for the 32GB version.

16GB is fine for daily use, but when i go on holiday i like to store one or two films and some tv series on there, at which point space disappears.

also some of the latest games take 1-2gb each.

Think the extra premium is worth it, and you get most of it back when you resell to get the ipad mini 2 anyway.

Also i dont think you are getting it on friday... looks like the 23rd Nov at the earliest for the US customers, and god knows when for us plebs in the UK.

clborden

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
Derby, CT
This is just my opinion, as long as I have a cellular connection, I should be fine with 16 because I can stream media and what not. I personally use mine mostly for web browsing, email, and streaming media. I have a 32gb iPad 3 and honestly never use my storage. When I'm on the road, I will stream movies & tv programs. If I had a wifi model however, I'd want more storage.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Well, it should be easy since you've already got a iP3. Hook it up to the host computer, only enable the apps, etc., etc., that you intend to install on the mini, and it should tell you how much you''ll be using. You'll be able to tell how much space you'll have left.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
I went for the 32GB version.

16GB is fine for daily use, but when i go on holiday i like to store one or two films and some tv series on there, at which point space disappears.

also some of the latest games take 1-2gb each.

Think the extra premium is worth it, and you get most of it back when you resell to get the ipad mini 2 anyway.

Also i dont think you are getting it on friday... looks like the 23rd Nov at the earliest for the US customers, and god knows when for us plebs in the UK.

Oh that sucks! I didn't per order. So maybe they'll have it in the store??

----------

This is just my opinion, as long as I have a cellular connection, I should be fine with 16 because I can stream media and what not. I personally use mine mostly for web browsing, email, and streaming media. I have a 32gb iPad 3 and honestly never use my storage. When I'm on the road, I will stream movies & tv programs. If I had a wifi model however, I'd want more storage.

Thanks for reply! I guess it's doable on 16g if I had to. Will 32g LTE be easier to sell?

----------

Well, it should be easy since you've already got a iP3. Hook it up to the host computer, only enable the apps, etc., etc., that you intend to install on the mini, and it should tell you how much you''ll be using. You'll be able to tell how much space you'll have left.

Good idea! I know I only really use 8 :eek:

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
When I'm on the road, I will stream movies & tv programs.

Really? You must have unlimited data. Otherwise, if you figure a movie is about 1 GB, it would cost $20 to stream (Verizon).

This is the Catch-22 for me (new to iPads) in the WiFi vs. LTE choice. The only time that hotel WiFi has been a problem for me is when I want to watch Netflix. But I wouldn't want to use LTE due to the cost.

Regards,
Tom

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Really? You must have unlimited data. Otherwise, if you figure a movie is about 1 GB, it would cost $20 to stream (Verizon).

This is the Catch-22 for me (new to iPads) in the WiFi vs. LTE choice. The only time that hotel WiFi has been a problem for me is when I want to watch Netflix. But I wouldn't want to use LTE due to the cost.

Regards,
Tom

I use netflix for all movies and never take the time to download movie. How often does it happen that you can't stream movies in hotel? As long as I have strong wifi connection I'm usually ok. I hope this isn't a 'mini' issue.

THFourteen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
London

Regards,
Tom

i think you guys in the US are spoiled with your free wifi everywhere you go! In the UK and Europe, you still can't rely on free wifi anywhere, a lot of hotels still make you pay for more than 1hour access, and the connections can be really slow and rubbish, like 8mb shared over the whole hotel.

I'd much rather have the 32GB loaded up with films, rather than travel with a half empty ipad hoping to use netflix.

LTE or not LTE is a different story, i want to use my mini to and from work which means checking work emails and browsing the internet, so i'd prefer LTE. Also means i dont have to keep getting my phone out of my pocket on the tube.

Someone mentioned here, data is pretty cheap in the UK we can get 12GB of data that lasts a year for about £40

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
i think you guys in the US are spoiled with your free wifi everywhere you go! In the UK and Europe, you still can't rely on free wifi anywhere, a lot of hotels still make you pay for more than 1hour access, and the connections can be really slow and rubbish, like 8mb shared over the whole hotel.

I'd much rather have the 32GB loaded up with films, rather than travel with a half empty ipad hoping to use netflix.

LTE or not LTE is a different story, i want to use my mini to and from work which means checking work emails and browsing the internet, so i'd prefer LTE. Also means i dont have to keep getting my phone out of my pocket on the tube.

Someone mentioned here, data is pretty cheap in the UK we can get 12GB of data that lasts a year for about £40

Excuse to get LTE now :D I wish data was that cheap when traveling to europe. our US carriers like to charge $5 a MB!

THFourteen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
London
Well the cheap data is only for those who are prepared - buy the sim cards off Amazon and chop them down to the right size. Otherwise iPad sims are around £10-15 per month for 1-2GB of data.

You should be able to get an ipad mini in store even if you didn't preorder, sometimes the preorders even arrive later than they are available in store :(

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Well the cheap data is only for those who are prepared - buy the sim cards off Amazon and chop them down to the right size. Otherwise iPad sims are around £10-15 per month for 1-2GB of data.

You should be able to get an ipad mini in store even if you didn't preorder, sometimes the preorders even arrive later than they are available in store :(

thanks for the advice! Yeah I was going to wait to go to the store and buy it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.