Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:19 PM   #26
enroh
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrXiro View Post
I'm a little confused. Not sure if I've got this wrong or not.
Does the 2.3Ghz i7 Quad Mini have Turbo Boast and Hyperthreading or is it just a Quad Core with Turbo Boost?

I thought it had Hyperthreading based on the verbiage on the Mac Mini page.



Can anyone clear this up for me?
Thanks!
http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...ver-specs.html

Then to find out how it stands up check out Geekbench andPassmark to see how the CPUs rate in artificial tests but should give you an indication on performance

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
enroh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:24 PM   #27
MrXiro
macrumors 68020
 
MrXiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by enroh View Post
http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...ver-specs.html

Then to find out how it stands up check out Geekbench andPassmark to see how the CPUs rate in artificial tests but should give you an indication on performance

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
So it does... Sweet! The Mid Level Mac Mini is the only Mac desktop in the line up that offers Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost. I'm not sure about the laptops but this makes the Mid level Mac Mini the best bang for the buck for video encoding/editing!
__________________
Whole lotta Apples, very little $.
MrXiro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:25 PM   #28
KrisLord
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northumberland, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrXiro View Post
I'm a little confused. Not sure if I've got this wrong or not.
Does the 2.3Ghz i7 Quad Mini have Turbo Boast and Hyperthreading or is it just a Quad Core with Turbo Boost?

I thought it had Hyperthreading based on the verbiage on the Mac Mini page.



Can anyone clear this up for me?
Thanks!
I've the quad core 2.3Ghz and can confirm that it has hyperthreading too.

Xcode reports 8 processor cores when multithreading is selected in the preferences.
KrisLord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:30 PM   #29
MrXiro
macrumors 68020
 
MrXiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisLord View Post
I've the quad core 2.3Ghz and can confirm that it has hyperthreading too.

Xcode reports 8 processor cores when multithreading is selected in the preferences.
Thanks! That is awesome!
__________________
Whole lotta Apples, very little $.
MrXiro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:06 PM   #30
Snowcake
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrXiro View Post
Thanks! That is awesome!
Hyperthreading is nothing more than to be able to run 2 threads on on one physical core.

Dual-core = 2 cores = 4 threads
Quad-core =4 cores = 8 threads

Hyperthreading: Performance gains can vary or even be negative.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-t...ormance_Claims
Snowcake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:28 PM   #31
MrXiro
macrumors 68020
 
MrXiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcake View Post
Hyperthreading is nothing more than to be able to run 2 threads on on one physical core.

Dual-core = 2 cores = 4 threads
Quad-core =4 cores = 8 threads

Hyperthreading: Performance gains can vary or even be negative.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-t...ormance_Claims
I know what Hyperthreading is. It really comes into play when encoding and converting video. This is exactly what I needed it for, even if tiny bit more speed. It's still more speed.
__________________
Whole lotta Apples, very little $.
MrXiro is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC