Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnalyzeThis

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2007
It's laughable all these people saying "Why would I replace my TV?".

Think back 10 years. Your phone was perfectly fine - it made calls and texts - it did everything you needed, right? You didn't feel the need for a tablet, why would you, your desktop did all you need. Analogue TV broadcasts were adequate, and your brand new massive 28 inch CRT TV was the bee's knees.

Why would you replace your TV?

Because Apple will make it more than just a TV, God knows what they're cooking up. I personally cannot wait to see what they've got up their sleeves but I'll bet my bottom dollar it will blow people's socks off.

If Steve Jobs could not figure it out, no one could. The Apple is not same Apple it used to be. Now, it is just a bunch of squabblers at the top level. The rest are bunch of good privates, but they lost their Commander and Chief.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I've been wanting to replace my 4-5 yr old 40inch Bravia LCD with something newer for a while now. Hasn't been a priority to get a new one, but if this Apple iTV comes out, then I finally have a reason :)

But I'm just not sure how the TV will pan out because no one beats Samsung when it comes to LCD panels and I'm sure Apple will try to source them from LG or Sharp, which isn't the same at all.

[/COLOR]
If Steve Jobs could not figure it out, no one could. The Apple is not same Apple it was. Now it is just a bunch of squabblers at the top level. The rest are bunch of good privates, but they lost their Commander and Chef.

Let's not forget that Apple made it clear they were not making a phone a couple years ago because of the tight grip carriers had on the phones, but we all know that Apple completely changed that with the iPhone, when Cingular let Apple do whatever they want.

I'm sure Apple will find a large partner in the TV business (who wouldn't want to partner with them?), just like they found Cingular.

----------

I'm guessing this well set the benchmark price of $2,000

I'm sure, it will be much more than that. $1,500-2k gets you a higher end LED Bravia or Samsung Smart TV, but we also have to factor in the usual Apple tax.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
55in ?

Why so small?

Unless they're also planning on a fully-featured STB that can connect to any monitor or projector....

And will it be 1080p, or will Apple say that 720p is HD....

Sitti

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2010
At one point, every company always does something that ends its glory. Apple television set could be it.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
I thought that Apple Maps held that position.

Apple has had many failures over the years. Remember the "G4 Cube". Steve Jobs thought that was the killer Mac for it's time (fail). How soon they forget. Even a major product failure won't be that damaging. Besides, It doesn't make much sense that Apple would design a full scale T.V. set. It makes more sense to use HDMI to connect to the T.V. of your choice. I guess they could do both, but seems unlikely.

Ay_Zimmy

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Apple has had many failures over the years. Remember the "G4 Cube". Steve Jobs thought that was the killer Mac for it's time (fail). How soon they forget. Even a major product failure won't be that damaging. Besides, It doesn't make much sense that Apple would design a full scale T.V. set. It makes more sense to use HDMI to connect to the T.V. of your choice. I guess they could do both, but seems unlikely.

It makes perfect sense. Tv is America and why wouldn't apple want their product in the living room? Plus it's a market to hit. Samsung came out with their "smart tv" and Microsoft has a huge advantage with Xbox 360. An apple tv product could do many things. Their tv will be a machine, you just have to have the vision. Siri, much more upscale apps etc.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
If Steve Jobs could not figure it out, no one could. The Apple is not same Apple it used to be. Now, it is just a bunch of squabblers at the top level. The rest are bunch of good privates, but they lost their Commander and Chief.

Who's to say he wasn't working on something behind closed doors?

Sitti

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2010
I thought that Apple Maps held that position.

Apple Maps isn't very costly investment at all. If Apple really wants to do full TV set, that would require very big investment to start with. And if it doesn't work out, it would look really bad on financial report. Also I seriously doubt Apple can sustain popularity of other products forever.

I agree with others, it doesn't make sense to make full TV set. Apple TV (HDMI set box) makes sense. I buy mac computers but never wanted to buy mac monitors. I can't see myself buying Apple TV set. I guess its going to be Sharp or LG display integrated with upgraded Apple TV and web cam.

mobiletech

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
Apple Maps isn't very costly investment at all. If Apple really wants to do full TV set, that would require very big investment to start with. And if it doesn't work out, it would look really bad on financial report. Also I seriously doubt Apple can sustain popularity of other products forever.

I agree with others, it doesn't make sense to make full TV set. Apple TV (HDMI set box) makes sense. I buy mac computers but never wanted to buy mac monitors. I can't see myself buying Apple TV set. I guess its going to be Sharp or LG display integrated with upgraded Apple TV and web cam.

If I read everything correctly they will offer an add on for all HD tvs. However if you need a new TV they will offer a TV with the box inside albeit a few exclusive abilities.

Greg.

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
London, UK
KjswE.jpg

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
Likelihood of success for a premium television under 60"? Zero.
Nobody's going to pay the Apple-tax for a screen that small.

Apple would have to be doing them iPad-cheap at 55" or less. Maybe Apple has become a consumer company, after all.

As for the camera comment, we'll see if Apple is serious about customer privacy. If there's a camera, then forget it. Ditto for a microphone, too.

Just being Not-A-"Smart" television, would be a huge selling point, though.

really? until just a year or two ago, you had to be mega rich or watch a projector (horrible picture) to get a 60 inch tv, and truthfully unless you have a humongous room and are trying to watch it from the kitchen while cooking or grabbing a beer or something, 60 inches is overkill and just something to show off to people that can't afford an 60 inch LED.

and who is to say they don't come out with one that big anyways, we know NOTHING at this point.

Anyways even a 46 inch LED or "retina" (which is what i have in my "man cave" (smaller room) is just fine for playing games, watching movies or anything else. so my point is if unless you have a HUGE room or are just trying to show off to people that can't afford a 60 inch tv, there really isn't a point behind one that big, i think the biggest tv i have in my house is 48 inches and it is a beautiful picture and i can still read subtitles from the kitchen.

with that said when i but my apple products (im an :apple: fanboi) i buy the best and biggest apple product i can get so i would do as follows;

-buy the biggest apple tv to replace the 46 inch samsung LED in the man cave
-move the LED to replace the 48 inch samsung LCD in the living room
-move the 48 inch LCD to the bedroom to replace the 40 inch LED samsun in the bedroom
-put the 40 inch LCD in either the spare room or my sons room depending on his age when apple finally comes out with a tv (he is 4 now and i will not put a tv in a toddlers room, if they come out with a tv i feel worthy of replacing the LED samsung in the man cave when he is 7 or so i will put the 40 inch in his bedroom)

last statement, to say if they don't make a 60 inch or bigger you won't buy it is kinda silly unless it is your only tv and you have HUGE living room.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
I really hope this is a joke, plasma is way above any LCD (there are no LED TVs, it's marketing language) when it comes to image quality

plasma is inferior, which is why it sells for less and are becoming scare on the shelves. There is such a thing as LED tv's cause for one thing i own one. I had a plasma in the house at one point and it was (comparatively) a crappy picture, it could burn images into the screen, it was thicker, was easier to leave color indention(by touching the screen to hard), less Hz and refresh rate, all just all around a worse tv.

on the other hand the LCD's that i have in the house (which are worse than the LED's i also have currently) are almost to good of a picture, you can see the imperfections of the actors skin complexion, much higher hz and refresh rate for video games (which all look amazing), you can push rather hard on them without worrying about leaving a color stain, are about half the thickness, and many more advantages. LED's are by far the best picture tv on the market. the only tv's that i have EVER seen that look better are the new ones that have like 5 colors or whatever instead of 4l

so maybe it is your personal preference to have a plasma but it is proven that LED's are far superior.

just saw you were from norway so maybe you just don't have LED's there, so you might want to do some googling

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
plasma is inferior, which is why it sells for less and are becoming scare on the shelves. There is such a thing as LED tv's cause for one thing i own one. I had a plasma in the house at one point and it was (comparatively) a crappy picture, it could burn images into the screen, it was thicker, was easier to leave color indention(by touching the screen to hard), less Hz and refresh rate, all just all around a worse tv.

on the other hand the LCD's that i have in the house (which are worse than the LED's i also have currently) are almost to good of a picture, you can see the imperfections of the actors skin complexion, much higher hz and refresh rate for video games (which all look amazing), you can push rather hard on them without worrying about leaving a color stain, are about half the thickness, and many more advantages. LED's are by far the best picture tv on the market. the only tv's that i have EVER seen that look better are the new ones that have like 5 colors or whatever instead of 4l

so maybe it is your personal preference to have a plasma but it is proven that LED's are far superior.

just saw you were from norway so maybe you just don't have LED's there, so you might want to do some googling

What is proven exactly? You obviously don't have a clue, but maybe you prefer the inferior plasticypicture quality you LCD Is offering ;-)

http://hometheater.about.com/od/televisions/qt/ledlcdtvfacts.htm

http://reviews.cnet.com/led-tvs-review-10-things-you-need-to-know

It ofcourse all personal preference, but it's also a lot of marketing talk and miss information flying around.

It also depends on what you use your tv for. I mainly watch movies etc and plasma gives a far more accurate picture than a LCD will.

Happy holliday

Last edited:

tsmarx

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2012
Nashville, TN
Why would I replace my TV?

Lighten up - no one has a gun to your head here! :rolleyes: If you don't want to replace it, you don't have to! But as others have said, I wouldn't shoot it down until it's actually out. How many people thought the iPad would be useless and then ended up buying it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.