Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Coursera.org and Georgia Tech are running a free 5 week Computational Photography Course for those that are interested. It just commenced and enrolments are still open. There is approximately 5-8 hours per week of workload.

Computational Photography
Irfan Essa
In this course you will learn about the basics of how computation has impacted the entire workflow of photography (i.e., from how images are captured, manipulated and collaborated on, and shared).

About the Course
The goal of this course is to introduce you to the basics of how computation has impacted the entire workflow of photography (i.e., from how images are captured, manipulated and collaborated on, and shared).

The course begins with a conceptualization of photography as drawing with light and the capturing of light to form images/videos. You will learn about and understand how the optics and the sensor within a camera are generalized, as well as learn about and understand how the lighting and other aspects of the environment are also generalized through computation to capture novel images.

Pre- and post-processing techniques used to manipulate and improve images will be discussed. Activities in this course are selected to give you first hand experience with the power of the web and the Internet for both analyzing and sharing images.

This course is interdisciplinary and draws upon concepts and principles from computer vision, computer graphics, image processing, mathematics and optics.

We look forward to your engagement and participation with both the course and its discussion forums.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Sounds pretty neat. My wife has been taking several courses through Coursera recently. The biggest thing holding me back is I'm not sure that my Calc and programming skills are up to snuff at the moment. The last time I did any differentiation/integration was almost 10 years ago, and I've never coded in Python (with the last programming I've done being about 6-7 years ago).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.