Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jctevere

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2009
I'm surprised that the ratio is that high. Around here in NY I very rarely ever see android phones, its all iPhones. I'm thinking that what may be skewing these results are "smartphones" that people get which are technically android based phones, but not really smart at all.

I'm talking about the phones which most people don't really use as smart phones as they probably only use it for voice and occasional texting.

Also, are these all phones ever sold? What about the ones that break or get thrown away? I would like to see carrier stats for phones on their network that are actually being used.

GoldenJoe

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Regarding 3:

I am not a developer but how hard can it be for God's sake? This has worked for desktops for ages. Of course, if your device is low specced, you should not be expecting to run the latest games. Other than that, with 2013's developer tools and knowledge and whatnot, scaling to a couple of resolutions and a couple types of devices shouldn't be that big a problem.

All this fuss about fragmentation and "one size fits all" are Steve Jobs' reality distortion field.

How about this? Instead of ignorantly babbling about something you have no knowledge of, either take the professional developer at his word, or educate yourself so as to become less ignorant.

Klosefabrinio

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2013
they dominate because android devices are cheap, other than that they have nothing. android offers featureless and cheap devices and their OS is completely vulnerable to trojans.

asthamapheo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
this is gonna change after the release of the low-cost iphone (iphone 5c), iOS will surely see a significant growth.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Haha, good old gnasher being condescending twisting facts and changing words to grey and make Apple look good.

Apple's market share in the phone market (that's from the cheapest $10 phone to the most expensive phone) has grown from 6.2% to 7.0% in the last year. Apple's original goal when the iPhone was introduced was to get 1% of the phone market.

Instead of accusing me of "twisting facts" you should try to engage the brain and understand what the numbers really mean.

fermat-au

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2009
Australia
The problem is that the market grew by 50% YOY and Apple only grabbed 6.5% of those new customers.
Exactly. The smartphone market is growing fast, 50% YOY, Apple is still selling only expensive high end smart phones, the growth market is not the US/Europe anymore.

I think now, WinPhone is a greater threat to iOS than iOS is to Android.

Growth in Shipments
Android
79.4M​
iOS
5.2M​
WinPhone
4.8M​

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Yeah, I notice ;)

FYI, I don't 'bash' Apple products or it's iOS. It wouldn't make sense either since I work on mac's, for decades, and I love OSX and Powermacs, and I'm typing on an older model Powerbook. So I dislike Apple? :rolleyes:

I don't know you so how would I possible know your life computer history? I could not care less FWIW. I only comment based on what you post -- actual quotable words. You seem to make wrong inferences about me too so goes both ways. But let's do this since our posts seem to get lost in translation -- I'll ignore your posts & you ignore mine. We'll both save time that way. :)

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I'll ignore your posts & you ignore mine. We'll both save time that way. :)

I'm a grown up, so I don't 'ignore' you or people in general. I've nothing against you personally or anything against your opinion I just give mine accordingly to postings I feel like responding to, that includes you.

Just don't take things so personally. I'll keep it formal and on topic with an adult attitude so you don't need to worry about anything.

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
iPhone share has been measured as a percentage of "smartphones" for a while now. I don't think this makes sense. Just today, we find that half of all phones are smartphones. If you believe the smartphone marketshare numbers mean anything at all, then the fastest-growing company in the smartphone business is Lenovo! Yes, it is dominating, doubling its smartphone marketshare since last year! Oh wait, they only grew a small amount in the overall handset market? This couldn't have anything to do with the fact that they replaced their cheap flip-phones with cheap "smart" phones, could it? If you look at Apple's share of the overall cell market, it's been steadily increasing. Check out this article:

http://applesoft.tumblr.com/post/58201572603/iphone-market-share-keeps-growing

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
Iv seen the iPhone 4 for free and the 4s for .99 cents what's your point ?

I was talking to AaronEdwards, not you. He asked how he could get a free Android phone and I told him. See the post above yours with the whole quote from his question.

Or see it again here:

How can I get a free Android phone? Please let me know.

Just go to any cell phone carrier (ATT, Tmobile, Sprint, etc.) and ask what phones are free with the contract. Plenty of low end android phones are available, some even have the GSIII for free.

For example:
http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/pantech/burst-titanium-refurb.html
http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/sho...linked=true&INTCID=AB:HERO:082313:GS3:960x320

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
I was talking to AaronEdwards, not you. He asked how he could get a free Android phone and I told him. See the post above yours with the whole quote from his question.

Or see it again here:

Just go to any cell phone carrier (ATT, Tmobile, Sprint, etc.) and ask what phones are free with the contract. Plenty of low end android phones are available, some even have the GSIII for free.

For example:
http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/pantech/burst-titanium-refurb.html
http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/sho...linked=true&INTCID=AB:HERO:082313:GS3:960x320

Yes I know you were but wasn't the reason about free androids brought up in the first place was saying androids market share was high because of cheap free android phones?

Last I saw you can get a cheap free iOS device so my post still stands

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Yes I know you were but wasn't the reason about free androids brought up in the first place was saying androids market share was high because of cheap free android phones?

Maybe if you are only considering the US market (where Android's market share is much lower.)

Globally, I don't know anyone arguing that Android's market share isn't based in large part on the fact that it's cheaper and more widely distributed than the iPhone.

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011

No your post doesn't stand. You simply replied to me without even reading. You said "whats your point?" Without having idea of what the conversation was about and with whom. I wasn't stating any point, just answering a question to someone else.

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
I'm wondering how the Android vs iOS landscape will evolve when Samsung is going to promote Tizen OS?

Every techblog has been reporting over the last couple of weeks that Samsung is preparing to start promoting their own Tizen OS in smartphones, tablets, cars and so on.

Could be interesting times for Android if Samsung's number one OS will be Tizen.

Very interesting. Specially since Samsung now has its own store (Apps,movies,etc) that competes directly with Google Play. Plus the GSIV ask users to create a Samsung account besides the std Google one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.