Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:14 AM   #1
Nuke61
macrumors 6502

MS-Office loses product key

I don't know why it happens, but this is now the 3rd time that MS-Office has lost the product key information and has asked me to enter it. The other two times it wasn't a big deal, because I had the box sitting on a nearby bookshelf. However, I moved cross country a week ago so that's sitting in storage.

So I have two questions:
1) Has this happened to you, or have you heard about it happening? If so, is there a solution?

2) What is the consensus best alternative to MS-Office on the Mac? I just need it to create and view Word, Excel and PowerPoint files. Minimal macro support is also needed, but nothing elaborate.

Please quote any replies so I get notifications of responses, thanks!
Nuke61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 12:29 PM   #2
glenthompson
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke61 View Post
I don't know why it happens, but this is now the 3rd time that MS-Office has lost the product key information and has asked me to enter it. The other two times it wasn't a big deal, because I had the box sitting on a nearby bookshelf. However, I moved cross country a week ago so that's sitting in storage.

So I have two questions:
1) Has this happened to you, or have you heard about it happening? If so, is there a solution?

2) What is the consensus best alternative to MS-Office on the Mac? I just need it to create and view Word, Excel and PowerPoint files. Minimal macro support is also needed, but nothing elaborate.

Please quote any replies so I get notifications of responses, thanks!
1- The only time it happened to me was when I migrated from my old MBP to my current one. Don't think it asked for it when I cloned my hard drive to a SSD earlier this year.

2- You could try LibreOffice. Not sure about macro support.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store