Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:30 PM   #1
Sossity
macrumors 6502a

cannot totally empty trash, says I do not have permission

I have been running pathfinder alongside mac os native finder, & when I have deleted some files off my external hard drive, I see my trash looks full, so I do an empty trash securely, the finder icon jumps, & I get a message saying that I don not have permission to do the operation, & it gives me the option to continue or cancel.

So the trash never gets completely emptied, when my hard drive is connected & running.

I notice when my external hard drive is turned off & not connected & running, & when I have no thumb drives or external hard drives connected, the trash is empty.

Is there some sort of conflict between finder & pathfinder? I have looked in pathfinders preferences, & there is an option to shut off finder, but there is a waring that shutting off the native finder could interfere with mac operating system functions like time machine, etc, so I have left finder running & to run as well.
Sossity is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:56 PM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sossity View Post
I have been running pathfinder alongside mac os native finder, & when I have deleted some files off my external hard drive, I see my trash looks full, so I do an empty trash securely, the finder icon jumps, & I get a message saying that I don not have permission to do the operation, & it gives me the option to continue or cancel.

So the trash never gets completely emptied, when my hard drive is connected & running.

I notice when my external hard drive is turned off & not connected & running, & when I have no thumb drives or external hard drives connected, the trash is empty.

Is there some sort of conflict between finder & pathfinder? I have looked in pathfinders preferences, & there is an option to shut off finder, but there is a waring that shutting off the native finder could interfere with mac operating system functions like time machine, etc, so I have left finder running & to run as well.
Click on your external and get info, you should have permissions like the one below in Screenshot.
Is it HFS, NTFS or what.
You could also empty it with Terminal like: sudo rm 'path to file'

To secure empty the trash command: sudo rm -fPR 'path to file'

Apple Mac OS X tips and tweaks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	38
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	385093  

Last edited by justperry; Dec 21, 2012 at 09:03 PM.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help