Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hayden.ostrom9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
HI guys,
I'm nearing the end of my contract with my iPhone 4S 16GB and I'm obviously looking at a new phone. My problem is though, I have no idea what phone to even consider buying. I have had iPhones my entire phone life and they are getting kinda "boring". Android is quite appealing but I'm not sure it's for me because I had a Nexus S for a short while and didn't like it at all. The iPhone 5 seems like a boring upgrade and a similar experience to what I currently have with my 4S. I guess I'm just asking if you guys think I should get the 5 because it's the best option on the market right now or wait or even get a different company's phone. Any input you have is much appreciated!!

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
That's a question only you can answer. What device would you prefer? Are you willing to repurchase apps on the new platform? Do you need iTunes connectivity? Do you value customisability? Are there certain apps you want/need which aren't available on android?

There's no such thing as a yes/no answer. There are many worthy options on the market these days so it goes down to personal choice and sometimes which devices fit individuals needs.

iPusch

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Manhattan, New York
HI guys,
I'm nearing the end of my contract with my iPhone 4S 16GB and I'm obviously looking at a new phone. My problem is though, I have no idea what phone to even consider buying. I have had iPhones my entire phone life and they are getting kinda "boring". Android is quite appealing but I'm not sure it's for me because I had a Nexus S for a short while and didn't like it at all. The iPhone 5 seems like a boring upgrade and a similar experience to what I currently have with my 4S. I guess I'm just asking if you guys think I should get the 5 because it's the best option on the market right now or wait or even get a different company's phone. Any input you have is much appreciated!!

Can you really live without 'The Simpsons: Tapped Out' :D
I think I can never change my platform just due the easy fact of the thousand of apps I have already purchased :-// and I can't imagine to be w/out iMessage either ^_^
I finally contact my bro over my phone, just right now he's messaging :) what a surprise + it's free

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
I think the next one will be along soon enough, I'd rather wait until it comes out. Your 4S will probably hold you over until then pretty well, right?

That's up to you though!

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
That's a question only you can answer. What device would you prefer? Are you willing to repurchase apps on the new platform? Do you need iTunes connectivity? Do you value customisability? Are there certain apps you want/need which aren't available on android?

There's no such thing as a yes/no answer. There are many worthy options on the market these days so it goes down to personal choice and sometimes which devices fit individuals needs.

Agreed. Way to many unanswered questions to give good advice.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
It all depends. Android is now liquid smooth with Jelly Bean. The Nexus S is also an older device. The nice thing about Android is that you can choose a device that fits you and not the other way around. Google Play can handle all of your music needs. Install it, and all of the music, playlists etc. will end up on your phone. I can download a song in itunes and it will show up almost instantly on my phone and my iPod. Very nice. All of that being said, Android isn't for everyone. Does it have all the apps you need? It should but there's still a few out there it won't have.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
You have a choice to make and its simple. Do what you want. There is no wrong or right as what you want is what is right. It's that simple.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I was just thinking how I might continue to use my 4S even though I'd be eligible for an upgrade in a few months because it still does everything I want it to do.

bollweevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
Boredom is a bad reason to switch phones, in my opinion. Don't switch to Android simply for the exciting new experience.

A smartphone should actually be useful, as well as entertaining. If you switch just for entertainment, you may compromise the practical usability.

It is like moving to a new city because you are bored of your surroundings, but you have a job in your current city and no job lined up in the new city.

Cure your boredom by going on an adventure, or learning something new.

And then get whatever phone will make you happy and productive.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Can you really live without 'The Simpsons: Tapped Out' :D
I think I can never change my platform just due the easy fact of the thousand of apps I have already purchased :-// and I can't imagine to be w/out iMessage either ^_^
I finally contact my bro over my phone, just right now he's messaging :) what a surprise + it's free

If you already purchased "thousands of apps" (which I doubt) switching to a new platform would be a blessing for you for you can start buying another thousand apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.