Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenz0

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
Is there a way to transfer iCloud contacts to an android device or to google?

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Apple is proprietary, plus they're at war with Google. Steve Jobs threatened to destroy Googles Android, there's no way Apple cares.

Yet I'm sure there is some sort of workaround. Someone with iCloud experience is bound to comment on your post.

I have had my cloud strategy In place for some time now, working fast, smooth & stable. There's no reason to risk the problems I had with MobileMe, not to mention the price premium associated with anything Apple. They always get the most money. Based on the Freemium model, iCloud will surely make tons of money for Apple.

kenz0

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
Yeah I guess I'm going to have to enter them manually. Thanks for the responses.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
On OS X just export your Address Book (synced with iCloud) contacts to a VCF file then import that VCF to GMail.

ubercool

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2008
Las Vegas
Yes you can with a product called Syncmate. I'm using it only to synch iCal right now with my Google account, but it does support Android devices. Here's their user manual. :)

adamking

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2012
Export from iCloud to Gmail

Three things:
-My Gmail account has and will persist through many generations of different devices that I own
-Gmail will most likely be more compatible with a wider range of devices, both presently and in the future
-I use many different OS's concurrently, so iCloud is too proprietary of a system to provide unified functionality to all of my devices in a manner as efficient as Gmail

So now, my method of getting contacts from iCloud into Gmail:

*This requires at least some contacts synced to iCloud

1. Log into iCloud dashboard: https://www.icloud.com/
2. Click "Contacts" button
3. Select All Contacts (click one contact then "Ctrl+A" on Windows)
4. Click the "Actions Menu" (Gear in the bottom lefthand corner) and select "Export vCard"
5. Download the attachment and save it somewhere you'll be able to find later (file is called "Acontact and ### others.vcf")
6. Log into Gmail
7. Go to your Contacts
8. Click "More" (the button directly to the right of the "Add New Contact" button)
9. Click "Import"
10. Click "Choose File" and choose the .vcf file you just downloaded
11. Click "Import"

Done.

*The "Find & merge duplicates..." option under the same "More" menu in Gmail is incredibly valuable.

If you're looking to sync with an iPhone again (but not using iCloud):
1. Do all of the above steps
2. Set up Gmail as an Exchange account: http://support.google.com/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138740
3. Disable iCloud once Gmail Exchange is set up

Hope this helps.

melinasomas

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2012
Export from iCloud to Gmail

Thanks so much to Adam. This was a huge help - I followed you beautifully clear instructions to the letter & now am back to having my gmail contacts intact & have unsynced from icloud!

Can I ask is there a way to do the same thing with calendars? I want to get google calendar to sync with iphone. I still have the calendar turned 'ON' in icloud and in exchange/gmail, but again (like contacts) it seems it only wants to sync with one (currently icloud).

I am curious about those who have managed to get icloud, google and iphone to all sync (without duplicates or stuff missing)...but I think I will just go down the path of choosing one or the other so I am looking to do as follows:

-mail, contacts & calendar with google
-notes with icloud or gmail depending on which account I chose

I look forward to your advice re the calendars export/import into google.

Cheers muchly
Melina

Three things:
-My Gmail account has and will persist through many generations of different devices that I own
-Gmail will most likely be more compatible with a wider range of devices, both presently and in the future
-I use many different OS's concurrently, so iCloud is too proprietary of a system to provide unified functionality to all of my devices in a manner as efficient as Gmail

4. Click the "Actions Menu" (Gear in the bottom lefthand corner) and select "Export vCard"
5. Download the attachment and save it somewhere you'll be able to find later (file is called "Acontact and ### others.vcf")
6. Log into Gmail
7. Go to your Contacts
8. Click "More" (the button directly to the right of the "Add New Contact" button)
9. Click "Import"
11. Click "Import"

Done.

*The "Find & merge duplicates..." option under the same "More" menu in Gmail is incredibly valuable.

2. Set up Gmail as an Exchange account: http://support.google.com/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138740

Hope this helps.

MedicalDoctorNY

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Adamking you're a legend!
Best instructions ever. thanks much

Three things:

6. Log into Gmail
7. Go to your Contacts
9. Click "Import"
11. Click "Import"

Done.

Hope this helps.

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
Three things:

6. Log into Gmail
7. Go to your Contacts
9. Click "Import"
11. Click "Import"

Done.

Hope this helps.

Thanks man.
I only use iCloud, but I like to have my contacts in gmail so i dont have to remember what email goes to what contact.

I guess once every 6 months or so ill just delete my gmail contacts and import a fresh iCloud contact list.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
There are two apps called Smooth sync for contacts and smooth sync for cal on Google Play. Once instaled they sync your contacts and events between your Android devices and iCloud, near real time. Now, no matter which device or OS I use to edit or add events or contacts those changes are synced across all devices seemlessly. Easiest way I have found.

ieatcalcium

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
On OS X just export your Address Book (synced with iCloud) contacts to a VCF file then import that VCF to GMail.
Oh my gosh, this worked! Thank you so much! I have more than 200 contacts so importing each one myself would have been such a pain. I don't even think I could thank you enough!! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.