Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:16 AM   #1
determined09
macrumors 6502

2012 iMac 21" base model the best speakers?

I'm thinking about buying a base model i Mac 2012 with 16 gb of RAM next month. I have the Bose companion speakers that I'm using currently with my dell. Will these Bose companion speakers sound better with the i Mac? I'm thinking it's the sound card that was used with the computer.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 05:48 PM   #2
phrehdd
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by determined09 View Post
I'm thinking about buying a base model i Mac 2012 with 16 gb of RAM next month. I have the Bose companion speakers that I'm using currently with my dell. Will these Bose companion speakers sound better with the i Mac? I'm thinking it's the sound card that was used with the computer.
I have a set of Bose that I got at a garage sale and they are the middle model 2.0 system. They sound just okay given that Bose is really not that good.

You never stated what you are playing as that too makes a difference on how any speaker will sound. I doubt they would sound better unless they are playing better quality files. You may want to consider other speakers that will give you much better sound such as the HK soundsticks, Klipsch 2.1 etc. If you are into good sound, cool factor and have the bucks, try the Focal offerings or go a step further and get the Orb offering for computers (speakers plus a mini amp).
phrehdd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:57 PM   #3
determined09
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrehdd View Post
I have a set of Bose that I got at a garage sale and they are the middle model 2.0 system. They sound just okay given that Bose is really not that good.

You never stated what you are playing as that too makes a difference on how any speaker will sound. I doubt they would sound better unless they are playing better quality files. You may want to consider other speakers that will give you much better sound such as the HK soundsticks, Klipsch 2.1 etc. If you are into good sound, cool factor and have the bucks, try the Focal offerings or go a step further and get the Orb offering for computers (speakers plus a mini amp).
thanks for the tip. I thought about the HK sound sticks. Just listening to videos from YouTube.com and other videos on yahoo.com. Playing internet radio, too. the speakers just sound muffled.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 04:40 AM   #4
phrehdd
macrumors 68000

Quote:
thanks for the tip. I thought about the HK sound sticks. Just listening to videos from YouTube.com and other videos on yahoo.com. Playing internet radio, too. the speakers just sound muffled.
Are you referring to the Sound Sticks or the Bose sounding muffled? If the former, I am surprised you got that problem and would consider checking to see if your output is set up correctly. The Sticks are known for clarity.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:42 AM   #5
determined09
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Are you referring to the Sound Sticks or the Bose sounding muffled? If the former, I am surprised you got that problem and would consider checking to see if your output is set up correctly. The Sticks are known for clarity.
The Bose speakers. I think I need to buy the Hk sticks.

Last edited by determined09; Mar 31, 2013 at 01:09 PM.
determined09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 04:22 PM   #6
phrehdd
macrumors 68000

Quote:
The Bose speakers. I think I need to buy the Hk sticks.
The HK Sticks are a good choice and often rate in the top 5 for years in their price catagory. You may also want to check into the Klipch 2.1.

Just remember, that often the source of the sound (music files and links) can be the fault of muffled or less than stellar sound and thus (as example) a CD quality song will sound better than a song played from youtube.

Enjoy!
Old Mar 31, 2013, 06:30 PM   #7
determined09
macrumors 6502

Quote:
The HK Sticks are a good choice and often rate in the top 5 for years in their price catagory. You may also want to check into the Klipch 2.1.

Just remember, that often the source of the sound (music files and links) can be the fault of muffled or less than stellar sound and thus (as example) a CD quality song will sound better than a song played from youtube.

Enjoy!
Thanks but my mother's dell computer sounds just as bad,too.
determined09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice