Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 11, 2013, 02:37 AM   #26
nhlducks35
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael CM1 View Post
Outside the larger screen, how does this matter? The pixels are so small that the human eye can't tell them apart. Therefore more pixels per inch doesn't matter aside from trying to impress someone on a spec sheet.
BS, you look at NY Times or do any sort of reading on your smartphone and you will notice a difference
nhlducks35 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 03:15 AM   #27
EM2013
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael CM1 View Post
Outside the larger screen, how does this matter? The pixels are so small that the human eye can't tell them apart. Therefore more pixels per inch doesn't matter aside from trying to impress someone on a spec sheet.
C'mon man don't you get it by now, more pixels = innovation.

LOL that's his logic
EM2013 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 03:51 AM   #28
VTECaddict
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo777 View Post
Yep. Until you realize that Samsung Galaxy S4 (and other Android phones) has 2.85x more pixels.
Until you realize your retina physiologically cannot tell the difference.
VTECaddict is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:02 AM   #29
ElectronGuru
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusX View Post
Looking at the unlocked prices for the 5S, which are higher than the 5 and 4S, I'm guessing the fingerprint sensor added a significant amount of cost to the production of this phone, and any further addition would only drive up the retail price.
I seem to recall apple spending $400M+ buying the company that owned the tech. Even at $50 per unit, that's an amortization of 8M units, not counting production costs.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:08 AM   #30
Dreamliner330
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
Until you realize your retina physiologically cannot tell the difference.
False.
Dreamliner330 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:09 AM   #31
VTECaddict
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
False.
Prove it.
VTECaddict is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:12 AM   #32
Dreamliner330
macrumors 6502

No screen improvements whatsoever?

Quote:
Prove it.
I don't have to. You'd have to be oblivious not to see a difference.

Heck, I can see a difference between the S4 & HTC One due to the non-uniform subpixel structure of the S4.

Remember those pretty pixel graphs Apple used to explain what doubling pixels meant when the iP4 released at a fourth grade comprehension level? Do that again...it gets better.

Just look at round icons, like the rotation lock for example, or the alarm clock on notification....Jaggies.

Interestingly enough, I prefer the iP5 screen to the GS4 because I hate PenTile screens with a passion.

Apple coined the term 'Retina Display' and everyone lost their minds.

Last edited by Dreamliner330; Sep 11, 2013 at 04:52 AM.
Dreamliner330 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:22 AM   #33
LostSoul80
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Prove it.
Apple claimed that a person with regular eyesight can't distinguish, from a regular distance, single pixels in their "Retina" displays.

People with a better than normal eyesight, or people using devices at a closer than normal distance (both regular eyesight and regular distance directly determined by Apple ) will inevitably distinguish the pixels.

It's up to you to prove that's not true, since what you claim is not what Apple claims.
For further refresh, feel free to view Apple's keynote with the iPad with Retina presentation.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:36 AM   #34
Lucille Carter
macrumors 65816

I kinda thought that the current screens are reaching the limits of our vision to resolve.
Lucille Carter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:55 AM   #35
VTECaddict
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul80 View Post
Apple claimed that a person with regular eyesight can't distinguish, from a regular distance, single pixels in their "Retina" displays.

People with a better than normal eyesight, or people using devices at a closer than normal distance (both regular eyesight and regular distance directly determined by Apple ) will inevitably distinguish the pixels.

It's up to you to prove that's not true, since what you claim is not what Apple claims.
For further refresh, feel free to view Apple's keynote with the iPad with Retina presentation.
Yes, true. And you use your phone 5 inches from your face how often?

In practical, real world use, it's a non-issue. Yes, I can take off my glasses and hold my phone 4 inches from my face and distinguish the pixels. But obviously that is not how my phone is used.

Spec sheets and theoretical calculations are one thing, but practical real world application is another.
VTECaddict is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone