Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nhlducks35

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2008
Outside the larger screen, how does this matter? The pixels are so small that the human eye can't tell them apart. Therefore more pixels per inch doesn't matter aside from trying to impress someone on a spec sheet.

BS, you look at NY Times or do any sort of reading on your smartphone and you will notice a difference

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Outside the larger screen, how does this matter? The pixels are so small that the human eye can't tell them apart. Therefore more pixels per inch doesn't matter aside from trying to impress someone on a spec sheet.

C'mon man don't you get it by now, more pixels = innovation.

LOL that's his logic

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Looking at the unlocked prices for the 5S, which are higher than the 5 and 4S, I'm guessing the fingerprint sensor added a significant amount of cost to the production of this phone, and any further addition would only drive up the retail price.

I seem to recall apple spending $400M+ buying the company that owned the tech. Even at $50 per unit, that's an amortization of 8M units, not counting production costs.

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2011
No screen improvements whatsoever?

Prove it.
I don't have to. You'd have to be oblivious not to see a difference.

Heck, I can see a difference between the S4 & HTC One due to the non-uniform subpixel structure of the S4.

Remember those pretty pixel graphs Apple used to explain what doubling pixels meant when the iP4 released at a fourth grade comprehension level? Do that again...it gets better.

Just look at round icons, like the rotation lock for example, or the alarm clock on notification....Jaggies.

Interestingly enough, I prefer the iP5 screen to the GS4 because I hate PenTile screens with a passion.

Apple coined the term 'Retina Display' and everyone lost their minds.

Last edited:

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Prove it.

Apple claimed that a person with regular eyesight can't distinguish, from a regular distance, single pixels in their "Retina" displays.

People with a better than normal eyesight, or people using devices at a closer than normal distance (both regular eyesight and regular distance directly determined by Apple :rolleyes:) will inevitably distinguish the pixels.

It's up to you to prove that's not true, since what you claim is not what Apple claims.
For further refresh, feel free to view Apple's keynote with the iPad with Retina presentation.

VTECaddict

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
Apple claimed that a person with regular eyesight can't distinguish, from a regular distance, single pixels in their "Retina" displays.

People with a better than normal eyesight, or people using devices at a closer than normal distance (both regular eyesight and regular distance directly determined by Apple :rolleyes:) will inevitably distinguish the pixels.

It's up to you to prove that's not true, since what you claim is not what Apple claims.
For further refresh, feel free to view Apple's keynote with the iPad with Retina presentation.

Yes, true. And you use your phone 5 inches from your face how often?

In practical, real world use, it's a non-issue. Yes, I can take off my glasses and hold my phone 4 inches from my face and distinguish the pixels. But obviously that is not how my phone is used.

Spec sheets and theoretical calculations are one thing, but practical real world application is another.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.