Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kenjhee

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2011
Sorry about the damage. There is something you can do. If you're handy with small projects, you can use a product called Birchwood Casey "Aluminum Black" to reblacken all those nicked areas. Make sure you get that exact product, not their black paint pens which are intended for touching up painted surfaces rather than anodized surfaces. Gunsmiths use A/B to refinish aluminum gunparts.

Thoroughly degrease the area, and it would be a good idea to mask off any electronic areas like the top wake button. The solution is acidic and must NOT get on any internal electronics. Use a toothpick or swab to swab the gouges. After about a minute it will be fully blackened. Remove all trace of the solution with a damp tissue, dry the phone, and you should be good to go.

It will not be as good as the original anodizing, but it will look 100% better than now. You can also retouch up at any time. This is what I do on my iP5, and it still looks great. Good luck.

Last edited:

Pauluss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
Sorry about the damage. There is something you can do. If you're handy with small projects, you can use a product called Birchwood Casey "Aluminum Black" to reblacken all those nicked areas. Make sure you get that exact product, not their black paint pens which are intended for touching up painted surfaces rather than anodized surfaces. Gunsmiths use A/B to refinish aluminum gunparts.

Thoroughly degrease the area, and it would be a good idea to mask off any electronic areas like the top wake button. The solution is acidic and must NOT get on any internal electronics. Use a toothpick or swab to swab the gouges. After about a minute it will be fully blackened. Remove all trace of the solution with a damp tissue, dry the phone, and you should be good to go.

It will not be as good as the original anodizing, but it will look 100% better than now. You can also retouch up at any time. This is what I do on my iP5, and it still looks great. Good luck.

Thanks man! Im gonna try

DIMEZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
MD
is that the case with the clear sides? if so i ahve the same case. im glad i put side protectors on before the instal

cpc12

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2011
This is exactly why I got a white one... Not much help to your problem just sayin.... That sucks bro.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
This is exactly why I got a white one... Not much help to your problem just sayin.... That sucks bro.

You make it sound like all black iP5 have this problem, which is baloney. White iP5 aren't immune to defective anodized coating either; it's just not as obvious as it's untinted coating on same color aluminum.

yamatitan

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
Thanks man! Im gonna try

I can tell you that stuff works great on touching up gun parts but the color is not going to be as dark as the original iphone so if you look close you will still see the marks. It will defiently help though.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
The quality from the iphone 5 is the worst of any iphone ever built.

It could be nice to know what apple think about this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.