Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BreakGuy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
NZ, South Pacific
So I was playing around with the Find my iPhone app and remotely locked my MacBook. The MacBook shut down and restarted but I was never prompted to enter the passcode that I set when locking it via my iPhone.

Everything works fine on it but now it's still showing as locked in the Find my iPhone app.

Question is, how do I get my MacBook to show as unlocked?

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Log out of find my iphone then go back in to check if is status changed, sometimes it hangs

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Disable the option and check again, that should kind of reset everything?

BreakGuy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
NZ, South Pacific
Disable the option and check again, that should kind of reset everything?
Sorry, what option?

----------

I mean the location/findmyiphone option on your mac.
I just checked under System Pref > iCloud and found that the Find my Mac was disabled. I rechecked the box and it's showing as unlocked on my iPhone now.

Strange... wouldn't one expect that if you lock your mac with a passcode, there should be a prompt to enter the passcode before being able to resume use of the MacBook?

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
In preference on mac, go to icloud options and disable the findmyiphone on the mac.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Ok so i locked my air, restarted by itself to these lockscreen:

e2uqudyv.jpg

(Sorry for crappy ipad picture lol)

I shutdown 2 times and both came to these screen.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Yea I don't hold much confidence in the Lock system if my MacBook ever was actually stolen or missing. :confused:

Lol you can password protect the firmware and that way render it useless for other people when they think about changing the hardrive/ssd; satisfaction ;)

BreakGuy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
NZ, South Pacific
Ok so i locked my air, restarted by itself to these lockscreen:

(Sorry for crappy ipad picture lol)

I shutdown 2 times and both came to these screen.
I never got that at all. Mine just shut down and restarted itself as if I had done it myself. Once booted it brought up the login screen which is normal and I entered my password.. voila I'm in. No need for the passcode..

----------

Lol you can password protect the firmware and that way render it useless for other people when they think about changing the hardrive/ssd; satisfaction ;)
While true, if someone were to take it and just reinstall the OS on the existing HDD they'd be able to.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Try the lockdown thing again, mine restarted by itself everytime to that lockscreen.

atrchy

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2013
Lock macpro

The lock screen doesn't appear to my macpro? What shall I do? Please help :confused:

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Question mark icon appeared :confused:

I think that question mark is related to hd issues but turn off and on and see if it comes.

Btw did you locked your mac with findmyiphone or this is just a random issue ?

atrchy

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2013
I think that question mark is related to hd issues but turn off and on and see if it comes.

Btw did you locked your mac with findmyiphone or this is just a random issue ?

I used the findmyiphone.. :confused: I already turned it off and on but still the flashing folder with question mark appeared.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.