Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deanobear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I'll be getting my new iMac (and my first Mac) between now and 24 December.

I know Perian is no longer being developed (hence I assume it doesn't work on 10.8), besides Flip4Mac, xVid 9, is there anything else I need to install for QuickTime to support my video files? My files are in all different formats, xvid wmv, avi, etc.

Chrome and Firefox are great but I would like to use Safari as my default browser, do I need to install Flash for Tumblr/YouTube? Are there any other Safari/QuickTime plugins that I should install?

I've done the Google searches etc., and there are hundreds of work-arounds, how-to's, etc., and most of them are old. I'm hoping someone can tell me what to do (as install complete video playback) from the moment I plug my new Mac in. I'm an old linux user, and I'm happy with VLC on Ubuntu, but I would prefer to use the in-built apps such as Safari/QuickTime as the defaults.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Deanobear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
You can use VLC Player or Movist or MPlayer X to playback many video files.

Did you actually read my post?

I've done the Google searches etc., and there are hundreds of work-arounds, how-to's, etc., and most of them are old. I'm hoping someone can tell me what to do (as install complete video playback) from the moment I plug my new Mac in. I'm an old linux user, and I'm happy with VLC on Ubuntu, but I would prefer to use the in-built apps such as Safari/QuickTime as the defaults.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Did you actually read my post?

Yes, but you will not get the full functionality in QT Player with all those different formats. You can try Perian, but QT Player is not that good for playback of foreign formats (MKV or AVI or DIVX or anything else besides .mov and .mp4 and .m4v).
Many use VLC Player or Movist or MPlayerX with greater success than with QT Player, no need to use built in software when other software is better. You can still play back many formats in your browser, many are still Flash based anyway.

But if you insist on QT Player:

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search or MRoogle to find similar threads while you wait for more answers:

LorenK

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Illinois
You may not like it, but VLC is the best player out there, it is stable and works with almost all formats. I have tried to use QuickTime and iTunes, but they do not approach the ease of use of VLC, and how often it is upgraded to remain current, so why would you want to use something else?

As a newbie, you should understand that the advice you're getting is from experienced Mac users, and I am not counting myself among them, so if they are making a recommendation, even if it is not your preference, they are telling you that they've gone down the path you want to try and found it a lot more work than it is worth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.