Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

convergent

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 6, 2008
I just saw the announcement for Redbox Instant, and it looks like its got a great selection, plus includes 4 physical rentals a month and we almost always rent more than that a month. Anyone used it? Any hope of it coming to Apple TV?

http://www.redboxinstant.com/index.html

StinDaWg

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
Ya I guess so, I thought Redbox streaming was going to provide newer stuff but it's mostly old stuff like Netflix.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Ya I guess so, I thought Redbox streaming was going to provide newer stuff but it's mostly old stuff like Netflix.

naw Redbox has always had earlier movies than netflix.
TED & Amazing spiderman are currently streaming. While netflix will take even longer to get these movies. If Redbox comes out for apple tv, xbox,PS3. IM switching. There's no doubt about it.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
It took forever to add Hulu

Redbox streaming is not as big as Netflix/Hulu

Maybe in a few years when it's gets more popular

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I haven't looked, does the Redbox Instant app support AirPlay from iPhone or ipad?

Blaquespell

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
naw Redbox has always had earlier movies than netflix.
TED & Amazing spiderman are currently streaming. While netflix will take even longer to get these movies. If Redbox comes out for apple tv, xbox,PS3. IM switching. There's no doubt about it.

That's partially true. If you notice, Redbox Instant is broken into 3 types. There is "Subscription" (unlimited streaming), "At Kiosk" (physical DVD/Blu Ray) and "Rent/Buy" (on demand single viewing rental). Ted and Amazing Spiderman fall under the "Rent/Buy" section, which means you either consume one of the 4 free rentals or you pay the $4.99 SD/$5.99 HD fee to rent it. Redbox also has _no_ TV shows at all. At best I would say Redbox is 4th behind Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon as far as streaming services go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.