Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
I'm due for an upgrade from my iPad 2, and I'm leaning towards the Mini. As of right now, I expect to wait till early next year to purchase a new iPad and I think my deciding factor will be how bigger of a screen will the iPhone 6 get. I expect we will hear more solid rumors early next year on how big it will be.

Should the iPhone 6 get a 4.8 or 5 inch screen, I would lean towards the iPad 5. But if the iPhone 6 gets a minimal increase to 4.3 inches, I would get the mini.

Just saying but you won't know that by early next year most likely.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
Ok- so supposing the new mini has retina display and everything I want,

how will the display work? Assuming its the same resolution as the 5, just on a smaller screen, in certain apps where currently maybe the 5 gets 3 columns and the mini gets two, would the mini get three now?

I'm not sure if that's good or not if I understand correctly.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Ok- so supposing the new mini has retina display and everything I want,

how will the display work? Assuming its the same resolution as the 5, just on a smaller screen, in certain apps where currently maybe the 5 gets 3 columns and the mini gets two, would the mini get three now?

I'm not sure if that's good or not if I understand correctly.

By the 5, you mean a full-size iPad, right?

And I don't know if there are any apps that behave the way you are saying. I thought the non retina mini displayed the exact same thing as a full-sized iPad, only smaller, and grainier than the retina models. Am I wrong? Do you actually have an app that does what you are saying?

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
By the 5, you mean a full-size iPad, right?

And I don't know if there are any apps that behave the way you are saying. I thought the non retina mini displayed the exact same thing as a full-sized iPad, only smaller, and grainier than the retina models. Am I wrong? Do you actually have an app that does what you are saying?

By five I meant full sized iPad yeah. And this is what I was referring to:

It depends on the app of course. Feedly shows one extra article per page. Text is obviously more readable everywhere.

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
By five I meant full sized iPad yeah. And this is what I was referring to:

Hmmm, I guess text based apps, which Feedly is, could show more content per page on the bigger iPad if they used the same text size on both. But I'd say apps like that are the exception rather than the rule. And the mini going retina shouldn't change how such apps behave.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
Hmmm, I guess text based apps, which Feedly is, could show more content per page on the bigger iPad if they used the same text size on both. But I'd say apps like that are the exception rather than the rule. And the mini going retina shouldn't change how such apps behave.

Ok great.

If the mini has touch ID and retina I will definitely be getting it.

If the 5 has touch ID and the mini has retina but no touch id, I'll have to think about that.

And if the mini doesn't get retina, then I'll get a 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.