Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:06 PM   #1
GnarlsBailey
macrumors newbie

What would you do? Keep 15in rMBP or buy 27in iMac

Hi everyone -

Let me start by saying I love my 15in rMBP ... but I'm not sure I need the portability any longer.

When I purchased the rMBP (2.6ghz i7, 16gb ram, 512hd) it was my daily driver. It was the only computer I had, so obviously it was the computer I would commute back and forth to work with. The portability factor was awesome. It's the perfect mix of power and portability.

But I didn't need THAT amount of power on a daily basis. There's only so much video, gfx intensive work that I do. So, I recently purchased an 11inch MacBook Air (1.7ghz i5, 4gb ram, 120gb hd) to replace the rMBP as my daily work computer. It's just so much easier to commute with and has all the power I need for my daily tasks (email, light photoshop, design).

So now .. that beautiful rMBP just sits at home on a stand hooked up to a cinema display. I haven't removed it from the stand since purchasing the MacBook Air.

Here's where I need your help. Should I sell the rMBP for an iMac based on my use case (obviously I would lose some of what I spent on the rMBP because I'm looking at 27in 3.4ghz, 8gb ram -- to be upgraded later -- 1tb fusion, 2gb video) or should I just keep the rMBP as my "desktop" machine.

2-6 days a month I will be working with intensive tasks (photo editing, video, motion/after effects). I also game occasionally. The extra screen real estate at home would be great.

So, what are your thoughts?
GnarlsBailey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:32 PM   #2
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnarlsBailey View Post
Hi everyone -

Let me start by saying I love my 15in rMBP ... but I'm not sure I need the portability any longer.

When I purchased the rMBP (2.6ghz i7, 16gb ram, 512hd) it was my daily driver. It was the only computer I had, so obviously it was the computer I would commute back and forth to work with. The portability factor was awesome. It's the perfect mix of power and portability.

But I didn't need THAT amount of power on a daily basis. There's only so much video, gfx intensive work that I do. So, I recently purchased an 11inch MacBook Air (1.7ghz i5, 4gb ram, 120gb hd) to replace the rMBP as my daily work computer. It's just so much easier to commute with and has all the power I need for my daily tasks (email, light photoshop, design).

So now .. that beautiful rMBP just sits at home on a stand hooked up to a cinema display. I haven't removed it from the stand since purchasing the MacBook Air.

Here's where I need your help. Should I sell the rMBP for an iMac based on my use case (obviously I would lose some of what I spent on the rMBP because I'm looking at 27in 3.4ghz, 8gb ram -- to be upgraded later -- 1tb fusion, 2gb video) or should I just keep the rMBP as my "desktop" machine.

2-6 days a month I will be working with intensive tasks (photo editing, video, motion/after effects). I also game occasionally. The extra screen real estate at home would be great.

I would sell the rMBP and replace it with a Mac mini. You already have the display, so get a really good Mac mini and you will have close to the power of the iMac but at a much better price.

the 2.6GHz i7 Mac Mini with 16GB RAM 1TB fusion drive and standard video card is more than $1000 cheaper than the iMac you want. And the iMac you want is actually more powerful(or will be) than your current rMBP and if you only see yourself using it 2-6 days A MONTH, then I would consider the iMac an unnecessary purchase and a waste of money since you will end up spending more even after the sale of your rMBP. With the Mini, you could sell your rMBP and most likely pay for the Mac mini entirely.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:59 PM   #3
anthony11
macrumors regular

This doesn't add up. You're using an 11" display for job 40 hours a week? And it's only for work, yet you take it home with you every night?
Quote:
So, I recently purchased an 11inch MacBook Air (1.7ghz i5, 4gb ram, 120gb hd) to replace the rMBP as my daily work computer.
You bought this used, right?

Quote:
I don't see a benefit to selling the rMBP for an iMac, but I also don't see why you bought the rMBP if it didn't meet your needs.
anthony11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:03 PM   #4
wlossw
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnarlsBailey View Post
Hi everyone -

Sell it. Buy a sweet maxed out iMac, and plug it into your Cinema Display.

Then, ditch your air for the new retina versions when they come out.
wlossw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:21 PM   #5
kylera
macrumors 6502a

I'm in the camp for just keeping your current setup. Why bother going through all the hassle of selling and buying again when your current setup is pretty powerful and useful enough?

Also, it'd be nice to have the option to go portable with the MBP in the few cases you may need to.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Tags
imac, rmbp