Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:01 PM   #76
mortenandersen
macrumors 6502

Even a small weight difference may be of great importance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDesire View Post
I don't understand how a few grams here and there is really that big of an issue for the average person. My mother has had a kindle fire since Christmas 2011 and we recently got her an iPad 3. Not once has she complained about the weight and she has arthritis. I really don't think weight is as big of a deal as you're making it out to be. The difference in weight between the mini 1 and 2 will be negligible. I doubt many will even notice aside from what they see on paper or comparing them side to side.
As this of course is a purely subjective matter, I still will say that for many also a rather small difference in weight (and size, and how easy the device is to handle, pick up and hold) CAN REASONABLY BE of great importance. And it just seems that Apple has hit right on spot regarding the present iPad Mini when it comes to these features.

BTW, Jim Karpen in iPhone Life says: "Introducing a higher-resolution display for the iPad mini is an obvious next step. Apple, it seems, is nearly forced to do so in order to keep up with the competition. (Though I'm perfectly happy with the resolution on my current iPad mini.) But from what I've read, it's difficult technically to do this. And it will reportedly add substantially to Apple's costs.

Frankly, I don't really like the idea of thicker and heavier."

I think that there are many who agree with him.

----------

In iPhone Life Jim Karpen also shares with us these comments, and I think they are worth thinking through:

"[...] if an iPad mini with retina display does indeed come out, and is indeed thicker and heavier, I won't be at all tempted to upgrade. In some ways it's hard for me to believe that Apple would make this move, instead of going with IGZO displays. Apparently the technology is now ready for prime time. It would allow the iPad to have high resolution while being even thinner and lighter. And an IGZO iPad would have a longer battery life, given that these new displays consume up to 90 percent less power."

BTW, he is referring to AppleInsider for more images.
mortenandersen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:02 PM   #77
Beanoir
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortenandersen View Post
(Though I'm perfectly happy with the resolution on my current iPad mini.)
I agree, wouldn't want to sacrifice weight for a retina either, no need for it.

There seems to be a lot of whinging from people that text is fuzzy and blurred etc on this forum, I can't say i've had a problem with that, I find it perfectly sharp enough and legible with ease.

Must be a lot of poeple on Mac Rumors that need glasses eh..?

I think the iPad Mini is the best iPad so far from Apple without question.
Macbook Air 11.6" 1.6Ghz i5 / 4Gb / 128Gb
Beanoir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:57 PM   #78
mortenandersen
macrumors 6502

Perhaps the best Apple product so far, esp. with a BT keyboard case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanoir View Post
I agree, wouldn't want to sacrifice weight for a retina either, no need for it.

There seems to be a lot of whinging from people that text is fuzzy and blurred etc on this forum, I can't say i've had a problem with that, I find it perfectly sharp enough and legible with ease.

Must be a lot of poeple on Mac Rumors that need glasses eh..?

I think the iPad Mini is the best iPad so far from Apple without question.
I agree with you. The present iPad Mini is a REAL WINNER when it comes to weight, size, the easiness of "handling" the device - that is: as concrete as picking it up, holding it, reading on it, writing on it (also with a BT keyboard case) and not the least: carrying it along when out of the house.

I am pretty sure that Apple has hit the bull's eye with this product as it now is, regarding form factor: ultralow weight, size, screen size (not too small), screen readability or adequate sharpness, battery time, elegance of form and looks, not much heat production, and general design.

And am afraid that at least some of these obvious great qualities will have to be lost if a retina screen (with all its supposedly strong/heavy demands) is what Apple will use, given the present day's technology.

- - -

BTW: Here is an interesting link to AppleInsider about rumors regarding the possibility of a retina screen for the next model of iPad Mini and some of its consequences for the form factor:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...tina-ipad-mini

Last edited by mortenandersen; Feb 27, 2013 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Updated information
mortenandersen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:54 PM   #79
mortenandersen
macrumors 6502

I would be surprised...

Thinking of the possibility of an iPad Mini with a Retina screen still with its present low weight (308 g) and slim form factor, I must say I would be surprised if Apple will be able to give us BOTH these features in the next model, because I don't think the technological development will make it possible. And, if so, my choice will then be the present iPad Mini, without doubt.
mortenandersen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:59 PM   #80
lucasfer899
macrumors 6502

I think this review might've encouraged me to buy one!
lucasfer899 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad