Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kaex88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
Help! When I last used my MacBook today, I had clicked upgrade to latest iTunes and shortly thereafter the battery died.

After charging, I got a black screen with the loading circle. I shutdown by holding down the power button. When I started it up again, I got the bright white screen with the apple logo and loading circle. After 2 minutes the apple logo became a circle with a strike through. I shutdown by holding down the power button again.

Then I started it up and immediately held down Alt. it gave me the option to load Mac hard drive or Recovery 10.8. I tried both and got the same bright white screen with apple logo and spinning circle. This was accompanied by the sound of the hard drive whirring (sounded like a stuck disk in a DVD player) and the MacBook fan spinning loudly.

What do I do ?

(I'm on mountain lion. Hate it, just haven't had a chance to move back to snow leopard)

Service Droid

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2012
Aus
Machine shutting down during software updates like that and you're likely to corrupt your os which is what has happened here.

You need a clean install and start again. Data may be recoverable though I can't say for sure without seeing the machine.

Kaex88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
Thanks... So I plug in a pen drive with the OSX installer on a partition drive and boot from that (power on + alt ) ?

Data is backed up to the most part, so I'm not worried about that

biggd

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2008
Calgary
Thanks... So I plug in a pen drive with the OSX installer on a partition drive and boot from that (power on + alt ) ?

Data is backed up to the most part, so I'm not worried about that

If data is backup, wipe drive and clean install.
Or partition for the few remaining items to data recover.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.