Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trigf

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
So I have a question that hopefully someone around here can answer.

I love the iCloud/Photostream/iPhoto combination working together seamlessly. However I've run into an issue on the Mac version of iPhoto. My Photostreams don't get updated unless iPhoto is open.

I find myself looking for a photo to upload/attach in a web form, then I remember that iPhoto isn't running. So I have to fire up iPhoto, wait a good 3-5 minutes for all the pics to download, then I can attach whatever photo I need.

Wasn't the whole point of iCloud to make the content available on all devices? I wouldn't exactly call it "available" if I have to wait 5 minutes every time I want to look for a picture I took :mad:

Leaving iPhoto open is an option, but it's such a resource hog. I don't understand how people with larger photo libraries than me can use it. I only have a few thousand pictures and it's pretty slow.

kgs

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
So I have a question that hopefully someone around here can answer.

I love the iCloud/Photostream/iPhoto combination working together seamlessly. However I've run into an issue on the Mac version of iPhoto. My Photostreams don't get updated unless iPhoto is open.

I find myself looking for a photo to upload/attach in a web form, then I remember that iPhoto isn't running. So I have to fire up iPhoto, wait a good 3-5 minutes for all the pics to download, then I can attach whatever photo I need.

Wasn't the whole point of iCloud to make the content available on all devices? I wouldn't exactly call it "available" if I have to wait 5 minutes every time I want to look for a picture I took :mad:

Leaving iPhoto open is an option, but it's such a resource hog. I don't understand how people with larger photo libraries than me can use it. I only have a few thousand pictures and it's pretty slow.

I think this is simply a misunderstanding of iCloud.

iCloud is a central repository for data. It _can_ push data to your devices, but that doesn't mean everything gets pushed.

In the case of Photostreams, it requires iPhoto be open to download data from iCloud. There is no "background" downloading going on with iPhoto and photo streams.

I agree, perhaps this should be an option, but I'm afraid there probably isn't a way around this.

I figured I'd at least try to help, even if it wasn't the answer you were looking for.

trigf

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
In the case of Photostreams, it requires iPhoto be open to download data from iCloud. There is no "background" downloading going on with iPhoto and photo streams.

I agree, perhaps this should be an option, but I'm afraid there probably isn't a way around this.

I figured I'd at least try to help, even if it wasn't the answer you were looking for.

Thanks. It's funny that there are so many iCloud background services and processes running, and none of them are designed to automatically download photos, including the aptly named Photostream process...

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
submit an email to the dev so he can push it out on the next small update...

oh wait. this is apple lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.