Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
This has me wondering.

Is it Apple doing the refurbishment, or someone else?

I've had good luck with Apple refurbished products as I type this from my eleven month old refurbished iPad 2. I don't know if I would trust an Apple product refurbished by someone else.

at&t had a disclaimer that at&t's refurbished iPhone 4/4S are returned iPhones, meaning they're not actually remanufactured to Apple's refurbished standards. The same is likely true of the iPhone 5.

joec1101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
So Cal, USA
I've always had good luck with refurb stuff from Apple.

I would try to buy directly from an Apple Store, as they have better customer service than any of the cell companies offer.

Even if you get a defective refurb, Apple isn't going to give you any trouble about exchanging it. By contrast, the cell companies don't like to do exchanges and typically refer you to Apple, so why not just bypass them altogether and go directly to Apple?

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
My iPhone3G was a refurb from AT&T and it was perfect. I sold it on eBay for $175 when it was time to upgrade to the 4S. I would not hesitate buying another refurbished phone.

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
US
I've gone through many refurbished iPads and macs and none have, or currently have problems. Great opportunity not enough people take advantage of

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Yes, sounds like you are way too OCD.
You will notice and act like its a huge deal tiny things that others wont even bother looking at.
Light leaks in the dark? Who cares?
Rattling power button etc..
The phone does have a year warranty so if any of those tiny imperfections become a real problem down the road and the phone doesnt function as it should you can get it replaced.
But some people you cant make happy no matter what. They will go through 100 phones and find them all "defective".

One has to be very OCD when they are paying $600-800 for a device. I am glad I was because it got me a perfect phone in the end.

Don't settle for anything less than perfect. Apple is one the world's wealthiest companies and if they can't get the iPhone 5, keep exchanging it.

BRyken

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
If I could go back I would buy refurbished. The quality is the same just cheaper.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
One has to be very OCD when they are paying $600-800 for a device. I am glad I was because it got me a perfect phone in the end.

Don't settle for anything less than perfect. Apple is one the world's wealthiest companies and if they can't get the iPhone 5, keep exchanging it.

I don't know bro.
I don't let little things like that bother me that much.
It's just another cellphone that most likely I will replace within a year.
Tiny knicks, light leaks or stuff like that are petty. There's more important things to worry about.

dennisjr631

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
I'm not worrying about getting a perfect device anymore. I spent almost $1000 for my 64gb iphone 5 with apple care. The phone was perfect when I received it. Almost 2 months later my power button on top only works half the time. So I'm going to have to get a refurbished device. Really blows !!!!

Jungle Jack

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
I'm not worrying about getting a perfect device anymore. I spent almost $1000 for my 64gb iphone 5 with apple care. The phone was perfect when I received it. Almost 2 months later my power button on top only works half the time. So I'm going to have to get a refurbished device. Really blows !!!!

Hello,
I just got my 64gb iP5 replaced yesterday at the Apple Store at International Plaza in Tampa, Florida. The Genius said that refurbs are now starting to trickle in, but it seems the 32 and especially the 64gb models are still brand new phones that were allocated for service models.

The one I got yesterday is a Week 38 Build from the DN Plant after looking it up on Chipmunk. I am pretty sure you ended up not getting a refurb. If it was a 16gb, that would be a different story.
Cheers,
JJ

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Considering the amount of phones exchanged for next to no reason, I would do refurb in a heartbeat.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I'm sorry but your are 100% wrong. I went through at least 5 iPhone 4S refurbs before I said this isn't worth my time anymore.

All had obvious cosmetic issues such has loose rattling sleep wake buttons, light leakage, loose home buttons, one even arrived with dust in the camera lens. I'm very OCD about my phones, but when paying as much as Apple charges, one has to be.

DO NOT believe Apple when they say, "they thoroughly examine these, and they're just as good as new, if not better."

My experience has been the exact opposite of the above.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
My experience has been the exact opposite of the above.

AT&T's refurb will just be a returned iPhone however it comes. But, Apple will of course replace it with one of their refurbs if there's a problem.

All of Apple's refurbs have a new outer casing, new battery and tbh, probably go through higher levels of QC than retail phones - therefore I'd have no problems having one.

Demiwizlord

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2016
I'm sorry but your are 100% wrong. I went through at least 5 iPhone 4S refurbs before I said this isn't worth my time anymore.

All had obvious cosmetic issues such has loose rattling sleep wake buttons, light leakage, loose home buttons, one even arrived with dust in the camera lens. I'm very OCD about my phones, but when paying as much as Apple charges, one has to be.

DO NOT believe Apple when they say, "they thoroughly examine these, and they're just as good as new, if not better."

I got one and it sucks they don't work, they charge a hundred dollars for a crap phone that Dosent work well and now it has more problems than my old one.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
buy a refurbished iPhone 5?
you must be joking.
the 5 had too many problems that needed to be fixed:
- battery length
- top on/off/sleep button replacement issue
- buggy iOS software and 5 hardware mix

i am not a beta user, so i don't know if the 5 is slated to be supported by the next iOS. but even if it is, all you are doing is purchasing excess refurb stock just before models get renewed and new iOS.
save up your money, and wait a few more months until you can buy a new iPhone SE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.