Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:19 AM   #26
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Good View Post
This has me wondering.

Is it Apple doing the refurbishment, or someone else?

I've had good luck with Apple refurbished products as I type this from my eleven month old refurbished iPad 2. I don't know if I would trust an Apple product refurbished by someone else.
at&t had a disclaimer that at&t's refurbished iPhone 4/4S are returned iPhones, meaning they're not actually remanufactured to Apple's refurbished standards. The same is likely true of the iPhone 5.
JayLenochiniMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:43 AM   #27
joec1101
macrumors 6502

I've always had good luck with refurb stuff from Apple.

I would try to buy directly from an Apple Store, as they have better customer service than any of the cell companies offer.

Even if you get a defective refurb, Apple isn't going to give you any trouble about exchanging it. By contrast, the cell companies don't like to do exchanges and typically refer you to Apple, so why not just bypass them altogether and go directly to Apple?
joec1101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:53 AM   #28
tcphoto
macrumors 6502a

My iPhone3G was a refurb from AT&T and it was perfect. I sold it on eBay for $175 when it was time to upgrade to the 4S. I would not hesitate buying another refurbished phone.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:20 AM   #29
greenchiliman
macrumors 6502

Buy direct from apple refurb, if ou don't like it return it and get a factory new version
greenchiliman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:14 AM   #30
AppleTech22
macrumors 6502

I've gone through many refurbished iPads and macs and none have, or currently have problems. Great opportunity not enough people take advantage of
120GB PS3
AppleTech22 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:30 AM   #31
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

I would feel fine picking up an Apple refurbished product.
From other companies I wouldnt feel that confident.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:14 PM   #32
MattMJB0188
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Yes, sounds like you are way too OCD.
You will notice and act like its a huge deal tiny things that others wont even bother looking at.
Light leaks in the dark? Who cares?
Rattling power button etc..
The phone does have a year warranty so if any of those tiny imperfections become a real problem down the road and the phone doesnt function as it should you can get it replaced.
But some people you cant make happy no matter what. They will go through 100 phones and find them all "defective".
One has to be very OCD when they are paying $600-800 for a device. I am glad I was because it got me a perfect phone in the end.

Don't settle for anything less than perfect. Apple is one the world's wealthiest companies and if they can't get the iPhone 5, keep exchanging it.
MattMJB0188 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:16 PM   #33
BRyken
macrumors 6502

If I could go back I would buy refurbished. The quality is the same just cheaper.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:52 PM   #34
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
One has to be very OCD when they are paying $600-800 for a device. I am glad I was because it got me a perfect phone in the end.

Don't settle for anything less than perfect. Apple is one the world's wealthiest companies and if they can't get the iPhone 5, keep exchanging it.
I don't know bro.
I don't let little things like that bother me that much.
It's just another cellphone that most likely I will replace within a year.
Tiny knicks, light leaks or stuff like that are petty. There's more important things to worry about.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:03 PM   #35
dennisjr631
macrumors regular

I'm not worrying about getting a perfect device anymore. I spent almost $1000 for my 64gb iphone 5 with apple care. The phone was perfect when I received it. Almost 2 months later my power button on top only works half the time. So I'm going to have to get a refurbished device. Really blows !!!!
dennisjr631 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:37 PM   #36
SavMBP15
macrumors 6502

These are not Apple refurbished phones, but phones that AT&T cleaned up.
SavMBP15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:44 PM   #37
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavMBP15 View Post
These are not Apple refurbished phones, but phones that AT&T cleaned up.
Exactly, and people have reported finding scratches on at&t refurbished 4 and 4S so it's basically a Russian roulette (not that it's any different from factory predamaged brand new iPhone 5 ).
JayLenochiniMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:54 AM   #38
Jungle Jack
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisjr631 View Post
I'm not worrying about getting a perfect device anymore. I spent almost $1000 for my 64gb iphone 5 with apple care. The phone was perfect when I received it. Almost 2 months later my power button on top only works half the time. So I'm going to have to get a refurbished device. Really blows !!!!
Hello,
I just got my 64gb iP5 replaced yesterday at the Apple Store at International Plaza in Tampa, Florida. The Genius said that refurbs are now starting to trickle in, but it seems the 32 and especially the 64gb models are still brand new phones that were allocated for service models.

The one I got yesterday is a Week 38 Build from the DN Plant after looking it up on Chipmunk. I am pretty sure you ended up not getting a refurb. If it was a 16gb, that would be a different story.
Cheers,
JJ
Jungle Jack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:28 AM   #39
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Considering the amount of phones exchanged for next to no reason, I would do refurb in a heartbeat.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:40 AM   #40
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
I'm sorry but your are 100% wrong. I went through at least 5 iPhone 4S refurbs before I said this isn't worth my time anymore.

All had obvious cosmetic issues such has loose rattling sleep wake buttons, light leakage, loose home buttons, one even arrived with dust in the camera lens. I'm very OCD about my phones, but when paying as much as Apple charges, one has to be.

DO NOT believe Apple when they say, "they thoroughly examine these, and they're just as good as new, if not better."
My experience has been the exact opposite of the above.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:32 PM   #41
Brian Y
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
My experience has been the exact opposite of the above.
AT&T's refurb will just be a returned iPhone however it comes. But, Apple will of course replace it with one of their refurbs if there's a problem.

All of Apple's refurbs have a new outer casing, new battery and tbh, probably go through higher levels of QC than retail phones - therefore I'd have no problems having one.
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone