Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qbricc

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2007
Ramped up product cycle to gain OS users

The reason Apple or any other company may speed up model refresh is to hook people to an OS. Once you have sold a new customer a tablet, they are more likely to stick to the OS they know.

As lots of people will be getting their first tablet this year, companies need the latest and greatest spec devices to drawn custom in. Once everyone owns a tablet it will calm down again.

frosse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Sweden
I think Apple has more reason to release iPad 5 in March than they did releasing iPad in October. Many would say that the October release had to do with the Lightning connector. Many would also say that, at least for now, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference if you are using the old cable or the new one.

On the other hand, if Apple doesn't release iPad 5 in March, the bigger iPad is left stuck with the old design next to its younger sibling, iPad Mini, with its new design. We all know that the new design is coming so I would imagine many of us feel that buying iPad 4 now is buying something that is going to be outdated not only because of its hardware (to this we are used to) but because of its design. I mean it does look a bit stupid marketing-wise when you have the slim and futuristic iPad Mini side by side with iPad 4 with its design that has been around for years.

While this is going on, Windows 8 -tablets are surfacing (pun intended) in bigger numbers and even "gen 2" Win8-tablets are coming. I'd imagine this is probably the worst time for Apple to leave the bigger iPad with an soon-to-be-outdated design.

I do agree that releasing the 128Gb iPad is not a good sign if one wished to see iPad 5 within two months. On the other hand, leaving the bigger iPad with the old design for about six months seems plain stupid to me -- especially when Apple are renowned for their design.
I agree with what you're saying except, we don't know why they won't release an iPad in March, it could might as well be due to production problems and not by intention.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
I agree with what you're saying except, we don't know why they won't release an iPad in March, it could might as well be due to production problems and not by intention.

That's true. Rumours say ipad 5 and mini 2 will use igzo displays and Sharp currently can't produce these on a scale which Apple would need.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
The just announced 128GB iPad 4 is Apple's answer to the Surface Pro, at a lower price point to boot. It's going to be released the first week of February.

There is no way that they will release the iPad 5 a month later and kill their updated 4 sales.

Looks like they are switching to a fall schedule now.

It doesn't matter to them if they release the iPhone 5s/iPhone 6 and the new iPad within a few weeks of each other, since each device is targeted toward a different customer base. People don't get iPads if they want a phone and vice versa.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
The only thing that doesn't make sense to me about a fall release, is that I don't see how Apple could go pretty much the whole first half of the year without any new high profile product announcements.

Is the technology ready for retina Airs, or could retina be the standard for the MacBook Pros with a lower price point? With a preview of the next OSX?

Basically, it just seems boring to not have a fun keynote to watch anytime soon.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
The only thing that doesn't make sense to me about a fall release, is that I don't see how Apple could go pretty much the whole first half of the year without any new high profile product announcements.

Is the technology ready for retina Airs, or could retina be the standard for the MacBook Pros with a lower price point? With a preview of the next OSX?

Basically, it just seems boring to not have a fun keynote to watch anytime soon.

There'll be no keynotes at all until June if this is all true.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan

The first half of the year is always less exciting except for a possible march event for a new Apple TV or something. Otherwise the first 5 months are dedicated mostly to WWDC which is always huge. We wont be sing an iPad update in March obviously. Apple just had 2 back to back keynotes a few months ago, relax.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
I know..who would buy a heavy thing like Ipad 4 when they know Ipad mini looks great and Ipad 5 will look similar?

I would assume people who are strong enough to hold a can of pop and drink it without their arm falling off and also dont want a device that is pretty to look at but become very disappointed once they turn it on...just a guess though...:D

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
I would assume people who are strong enough to hold a can of pop and drink it without their arm falling off and also dont want a device that is pretty to look at but become very disappointed once they turn it on...just a guess though...:D

Could we just leave it at "people who want more screen real estate" or "people who want one of the most amazing tablet displays" instead of incorporating a bunch of (tired!) thinly veiled attacks on people who like the mini? :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.