Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:24 PM   #1
uncleMonty
macrumors member

faking a long transition between stills - iMovie 09

Making a slideshow - I understand you can't have a transition longer than the still photos on either side of it. Is there a way to obtain a long fade-in (say 10 seconds) from white at the beginning of the slideshow, where the first photo starts appearing immediately?

I can have this:
blank white screen (5 secs) --> cross-fade transition (4 secs) --> first real picture (5 seconds),

but this results in 5 seconds where nothing happens, a 4-second fade-in to the first image, then that first image remains on-screen for 5 more seconds.

What I would like is something like this:
blank white screen (0.5 sec) --> long cross-fade (takes 10 seconds for image to appear at full darkness) --> first real picture (stays for 1 second longer, after the cross-fade is completed).

I know iMovie won't let me do it that way if I try to proceed normally. But does anyone know of a way to "fake" this sequence of events? It doesn't sound complicated enough to be impossible...
uncleMonty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:14 PM   #2
TheKnifeFight
macrumors member

Just put a white background in from a title slide (no text) that should do it. Or drag a white jpg into your timeline and use that.
TheKnifeFight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:43 AM   #3
uncleMonty
macrumors member

Well, that's exactly what I've done, but it still gives me the problem of durations: either I have to sit and stare at a completely white screen for a long time before the transition starts, or if I make the duration of the initial white screen short enough then the transition is forced to happen too quickly.

I'm trying to have a short duration on the empty white screen before the fade-in starts, a long fade-in, then a short duration on the completely faded-in first image.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:14 AM   #4
admwright
macrumors regular

Would it work to take the original image and use a graphics program to make it 50% faded (50% white layer). Then you have white to 50% image and 50% image to full image, hopefully without any stutter with the extra image transition.
admwright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:32 AM   #5
uncleMonty
macrumors member

Good idea - but it doesn't solve the waiting before and after the transition. You can have this:

White screen (5 secs) --> cross-fade (5 secs) --> 50% image (10 seconds total including the transitions) --> cross-fade (5 secs) --> 100% image (10 seconds) --> transition to second image etc.

There are 5 secs of nothing at the beginning before the first transition starts, and 5 secs of the fully visible first image before the next transition.

Does anyone understand why iMovie imposes this apparently arbitrary rule about transitions not lasting longer than half the duration of the stills around it?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:59 PM   #6
TheKnifeFight
macrumors member

Can you not adjust your transition timing by clicking on it? It seems silly to have such a long transition.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1098

----------

I re-read your question and I guess I don't get it.

If you want a slideshow for still images...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H_D-strX3k
TheKnifeFight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:40 PM   #7
daybreak
macrumors 6502

I'm certain you can have a slideshow of stills in iPhoto and you can adjust the sliding scale to the time you require.
daybreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:10 PM   #8
uncleMonty
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKnifeFight View Post
Can you not adjust your transition timing by clicking on it? It seems silly to have such a long transition.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1098[COLOR="#808080"]
----------

Did you read the page you linked to? The very first thing it says on that page is: "Summary: You can change the duration of the transitions in your video project, setting how long it takes for one clip to transition fully to the next. Transitions can be no longer than half the length of the shortest adjacent clip."

That last restriction is what I'm trying to get around.

As for "it seems silly to have such a long transition" - really, you can't imagine ANY artistic use for a long fade between two stills? Or a long fade-in to the first image?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by daybreak View Post
I'm certain you can have a slideshow of stills in iPhoto and you can adjust the sliding scale to the time you require.
ok... but I need to use iMovie, not iPhoto, as there are many, many things iMovie lets me control in my movie.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:04 AM   #9
daybreak
macrumors 6502

Have you tried the Ken Burns effect in iMovie?. Also once you have assembled you movie in iPhoto move it to iMovie.
daybreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video