Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:28 AM   #51
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020

As a taxpayer who won't benefit from it, yes I have a major problem with it
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:30 AM   #52
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFkling View Post
I read financial aid. That isnt loans to me.

But if its a loan, spend it on whatever you want, your gonna pay it back eventually.
Most financial aid is in the form of loans. At least that is how my university describes it. They give you a "financial aid package" where a good 70-80% of it is loans, and the rest is scholarships/work-study/etc

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. McMac View Post
You do? why?

It is a tool used for education
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:31 AM   #53
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
Most financial aid is in the form of loans. At least that is how my university describes it. They give you a "financial aid package" where a good 70-80% of it is loans, and the rest is scholarships/work-study/etc

----------

You do? why?

It is a tool used for education
you know what, let your parents pay for it then!!!!!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:34 AM   #54
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Why?

Not to mention alot of students don't have families that can afford to buy their kids computers.

As a taxpayer you should be all for these laons. Not only are you getting alot back in return due to the interest....they are also the most secure form of loan you can give. Payback is 100%. You can't absolve them in bankruptcy or whatnot

So once again, what is your issue with these loans being used to finance an educational tool such as a computer?
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:35 AM   #55
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
You clearly have no clue whatsoever how financial aid works. Don't comment on things you don't understand.

Quote:
So once again, what is your issue with these loans being used to finance an educational tool such as a computer?
The only issue here is a poster jumping to conclusions without having any clue whatsoever how financial aid works.
zioxide is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:52 AM   #56
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
You clearly have no clue whatsoever how financial aid works. Don't comment on things you don't understand.

The only issue here is a poster jumping to conclusions without having any clue whatsoever how financial aid works.
Ummm... I have a clue pal. Half of you don't pay your student loads back. So guess who fits the bill??
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:11 PM   #57
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Ummm... I have a clue pal. Half of you don't pay your student loads back. So guess who fits the bill??
You can never get rid of loans. Even if you default, prepare to get your bank accounts emptied/levied, hits on credit in every aspect of your life, and acrrue massive penalties. In other words, financial hell and essentially indentured servitude.

Quite a different story than your's or my parent's generation when it was not unheard of to go get an advanced degree (med/law/mba) then declare bankruptcy and never worry about paying them pack (as the practice was allowed). Not to mention how much cheaper universities were when you were of age. Just at my university, compared to now to when I started 11 years ago, tuition has risen by 400%. Much more than the rate of inflation. Not to mention the increases in fees and whatnot that goes along with that.

If it was a net loss (as you are seemingly implying), you can bet that the loans would not be so easy to be granted. The fact they are so easy to get is because they are essentially guaranteed to be paid back and thus, inherently in the interest of the lender. The lowest risk of lending there is.

You talk about footing the bill? How about my generation footing your generation's bill over the next decades due to the financial mess your generation put us in?

Thanks for that.. truly

Last edited by dukebound85; Feb 15, 2013 at 12:17 PM.
dukebound85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:16 PM   #58
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
You talk about footing the bill? How about my generation footing your generation's bill over the next decades due to the financial mess your generation put us in?

Thanks for that.. truly
Thanks to me? I've been working and paying my fair share of taxes since the late 60's. Blame our government, not me...... I've never once taken a government handout in all that time
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:27 PM   #59
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
Weird thread. It's your money, use it for whatever the hell you want. A computer is a requirement for college, may as well buy one that won't break before you even graduate. A mac is the only computer i've ever used, why would i switch just because some people think i should use financial aid for a crappy pc? I want nothing to do with them.
likemyorbs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:30 PM   #60
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Apparently you don't even know what a loan is.

You HAVE to pay your loans back. If you don't, you'll face bankruptcy, garnished wages, credit scores in the toilet, inability to take out other lines of credit, etc. The government WILL get their money back.

I have to pay all my loans back plus 7%. Interest rates on education is over double that for personal car loans, etc. So, the government is actually making money off of my (and every other student's) loans.

Loans are NOT handouts. Trying to claim that just illustrates the point that you have shown absolutely no clue as to how the financial aid system and, to a degree, how our entire financial system works.
zioxide is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:21 PM   #61
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
Quote:

Loans are NOT handouts. Trying to claim that just illustrates the point that you have shown absolutely no clue as to how the financial aid system and, to a degree, how our entire financial system works.
Are you surprised? Sadly, many people are this uninformed. Also, even if you file for bankruptcy, you STILL have to pay your student loans, they never go away and it's nearly impossible not to pay them back. But conservatives would do anything in their power to get rid of student loans if they could just to make sure college is only accessible for the wealthy. Sounds like a republican wet dream. That way they can limit the amount of brown people and poor people who go to college.

----------

Quote:
Ummm... I have a clue pal.
Yeah, no, you really don't....

----------

Quote:
Yes you won't benefit from the next generation being more educated. God forbid this country actually gets back on the right track with more educated citizens and less rednecks. When you're old, guess who's going to be taking care of you. The next generation....
likemyorbs is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:44 PM   #62
Hugh
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Apparently you don't even know what a loan is.

You HAVE to pay your loans back. If you don't, you'll face bankruptcy, garnished wages, credit scores in the toilet, inability to take out other lines of credit, etc. The government WILL get their money back.

I have to pay all my loans back plus 7%. Interest rates on education is over double that for personal car loans, etc. So, the government is actually making money off of my (and every other student's) loans.

7%? That's high, one of my loans is 2% and the rest are 0.26%. I'm not sure why one of them is higher then the rest. :/

Hugh
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:06 PM   #63
Cubytus
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Considering the cost of tuition in North America where it's largely out of control (side from Québec), most parents can't afford to pay it to their kids. Or, as in Québec, it's simply not in their culture.

Quote:
Even if we defaulted, which obviously isn't the case, you would still benefit from our presence, much more than getting the money back but not the educated. Yet another reason to make tuition free.

Quote:
Thanks to me? I've been working and paying my fair share of taxes since the late 60's. Blame our government, not me...... I've never once taken a government handout in all that time
Always the government's fault, isn't it?
Cubytus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:16 PM   #64
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubytus View Post
C
Always the government's fault, isn't it?
Please explain to me how it's my fault? I don't cheat on my taxes, please explain...That should be interesting....
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:45 PM   #65
Cubytus
macrumors 6502a

Let's not feed the troll, please.
Cubytus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:12 PM   #66
PinkyMacGodess
macrumors 68000

I bought a lawn mower with part of my financial aid. The one we had broke. I had the money. It was better than spending it on beer...
PinkyMacGodess is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:23 PM   #67
PinkyMacGodess
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by likemyorbs View Post
Are you surprised? Sadly, many people are this uninformed. Also, even if you file for bankruptcy, you STILL have to pay your student loans, they never go away and it's nearly impossible not to pay them back. But conservatives would do anything in their power to get rid of student loans if they could just to make sure college is only accessible for the wealthy. Sounds like a republican wet dream. That way they can limit the amount of brown people and poor people who go to college.
No, you are partly right. Conservative 'republicans' want to have banks handle the student loan system so that they can charge 'market rate' interest for the loans and then when people default on them, the banks can go crawling back to the keepers of the treasury and beg for huge bailouts which they will not have to pay back. (and then gut more social programs)

Also, when you consider that the 'tea party' was concocted by a group that sought to deny basic science and research into the damaging effects of tobacco consumption (among other products), you can fully understand the 'tea parties' complete hatred of 'science' and those things called 'facts'. They really hate 'research' too it seems. 'Education' is something you catch like crabs, scabies and STD's and is to be avoided...

People need to watch Idiocracy to see what the future of this country *could* be.

I something the other day: It's harder to be a liberal because it's always easier to flip someone off than giving them a hand... And with that, I'm out of this thread...

Don't feed the trolls.

Last edited by PinkyMacGodess; Feb 23, 2013 at 08:25 AM.
PinkyMacGodess is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:17 PM   #68
RenoG
macrumors 6502a

Why do you need to know what we think? What difference will it make?
Get what you need, if you can get by with 3-400 dollar laptop go for it. If you want a Mac go for it they are both computers and will get most things done (Mac though with less issues). I mean you also could have gotten a scooter (better gas milage and cheaper tags etc.) and a really good umbrella, but instead you fixed your car......

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON....
RenoG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:41 AM   #69
malman89
macrumors 65816

I think this thread can be summarized as:

Is it wrong to use financial aid for things like Macs or a computer? NO

Is it smart to do so? Probably not given the interest rate and accumulation over time (Perkins - rare - 2.5%?+, Subsidized Stafford 4.25%+, Unsub 6-6.55%, Private even more?).

/threadclose

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events