Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mapledress

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2013
Yes, although I like the iPad Mini, the screen size is too small for me, So I would like a 9.7 inch display with the same thickness as the Mini. I like watch videos and movies on my iPad, so I prefer a larger display. Personal preference.

----------

if Apple could make the regular iPad as thin and light as the Mini, sure. probably won't happen till iPad 8 or 9 though :D

:D May be.

ukbondraider

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2010
Sold my Ipad 3 and 4 four months ago in prep for any new iPads released this march.

However, need a tablet for use as can not wait any longer for the ipad 5 or mini 2 so bought an ipad mini 2 weeks ago to tie me over.

Love the size of the mini but am desperate for a retina screen.

So yes I would dump my mini for a 5 purely for the screen. May even get the Sony Z tablet if that is released first. I will the buy a retina mini in addition when that arrives.

LightOnAHill

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
This is 100% about weight. The mini is no more easily tucked away.

If the ipad 5 were less than the weight of the mini and the 9.7 size....it would be the only ipad needed.

I disagree with both statements. The mini is more easily tucked away, for example, my mini fits in my suit jacket pockets and the back pockets of some jeans, but my wife's kindle fire hd does not simply because it is thicker.

I need the mini over the other iPads because of all it's dimensions, including thickness, a 9.7 size would not work for me because I can't carry it in the same way in my suit... And if I want to use a device that siZe I whip out the 11" air.

:D

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Just a question for you guys - what exactly made you go mini if you prefer the larger screen? I'm sure most will say that the iPad was a little heavy, but wouldn't it have been easier to just keep the larger iPad (even sacrificing the size) until a thinner one is released?

I just noticed noone seems to have answered this question directly. I pre-ordered the mini when it was announced because I thought I'd give it a try. After using it for about a week, I decided to keep it because I liked how compact and portable it was despite the screen size being a bit too small for my liking. As for waiting for the iPad 5, well, we just don't know how long we'll be waiting. If it does come out in the spring, the mini would have been of use to me for 6 months, and if the 5 doesn't come out until fall, then the mini would serve me well for a full year. For me, having an extra-portable iOS tablet for 6 months to a year was worth it, even if I have to sacrifice screen size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.