Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Mar 24, 2013, 06:21 PM   #1
mikewired
macrumors newbie

Wow the 13" MBA! Got one at the $999 Best Buy sale

All I can say is WOW about this machine. I recently sold an Original Rev A MBA on craigslist for 500 that I never really used... got tired of the heat, the fans running, and the short batt life. I also have a Late 2008 MBP that runs great since I just put a 240g SSD in it. Now after using this new MBA, I may go ahead and sell the MBP because I am thinking I wont use it anymore!!! This 2012 Air creates no heat, no fan noise, light as a feather... I debated getting the 13" rMBP but the screen on the Air is almost as good, but I opted for the lighter weight. Stereo speakers YEA !!! but a little weak, but then I install the BOOM app, again WOW. I looked at the 11" but was worried that the battery life. Also previous to getting the Air, I did convert to the dark side and tried two different win8 touch screen laptops. This was a mistake, I think win8 is ok, but the Asus had terrible screen quality. Next was the Samsung series 5, better screen but terrible terrible trackpad. I realized then that I was going to have to spend more than $700ish. So it was back to Apple, I would rather have a great trackpad and loose the touchscreen. The only thing that would make this machine better would be an LTE connection. I have a 3gen iPad with unlimited ATT LTE, If I could move that data to the Air I would ditch the iPad. Great Machine.
mikewired is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 06:52 PM   #2
erichess22
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewired View Post
All I can say is WOW about this machine. I recently sold an Original Rev A MBA on craigslist for 500 that I never really used... got tired of the heat, the fans running, and the short batt life. I also have a Late 2008 MBP that runs great since I just put a 240g SSD in it. Now after using this new MBA, I may go ahead and sell the MBP because I am thinking I wont use it anymore!!! This 2012 Air creates no heat, no fan noise, light as a feather... I debated getting the 13" rMBP but the screen on the Air is almost as good, but I opted for the lighter weight. Stereo speakers YEA !!! but a little weak, but then I install the BOOM app, again WOW. I looked at the 11" but was worried that the battery life. Also previous to getting the Air, I did convert to the dark side and tried two different win8 touch screen laptops. This was a mistake, I think win8 is ok, but the Asus had terrible screen quality. Next was the Samsung series 5, better screen but terrible terrible trackpad. I realized then that I was going to have to spend more than $700ish. So it was back to Apple, I would rather have a great trackpad and loose the touchscreen. The only thing that would make this machine better would be an LTE connection. I have a 3gen iPad with unlimited ATT LTE, If I could move that data to the Air I would ditch the iPad. Great Machine.
I love my MBA as well, its ridiculous how light and thin the thing is while still being so quick. Apple did well!
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:35 PM   #3
shootingrubber
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichess22 View Post
I love my MBA as well, its ridiculous how light and thin the thing is while still being so quick. Apple did well!
I have an 11-inch Air and love it, but disagree about ditching iPad. I have a 7-inch iPad and love it. There is no way I would ditch the iPad for full use of the Air. I pretty much only use the Air for coding now and the iPad for everything else. Oh, and the Air is my only "real" computer.

But, yeah, the MBA is a great computer. Performs very well, especially the maxed out model. I converted like 6 videos (movies) using Handbrake without a hiccup. Took like 3 hours for all to finish using 2-pass encoding. Hook it up to an external monitor at home and it's great.
shootingrubber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:02 PM   #4
yanksrock100
macrumors 6502

$999 is such a great deal for this awesome laptop!
Old Mar 26, 2013, 05:43 AM   #5
Acorn
macrumors 68020

I paid almost 300 dollars more just to have 8 gigs of ram. every other stat is the same as yours. When i purchased the air best buy did not have this deal. had i known i would have saved myself 300 dollars. 300 dollars is nothing to scoff at.
Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 09:18 AM   #6
wolfpuppies3
macrumors 6502

Love mine as well. I see Apple has them down to $919 now on their apple.com website.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:09 AM   #7
mikewired
macrumors newbie

I see 919 in the outlet but that is a 2011 version? Dang I was ready for a BB price match.
mikewired is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:45 AM   #8
Amplelink
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootingrubber View Post
I have an 11-inch Air and love it, but disagree about ditching iPad. I have a 7-inch iPad and love it. There is no way I would ditch the iPad for full use of the Air. I pretty much only use the Air for coding now and the iPad for everything else. Oh, and the Air is my only "real" computer.

But, yeah, the MBA is a great computer. Performs very well, especially the maxed out model. I converted like 6 videos (movies) using Handbrake without a hiccup. Took like 3 hours for all to finish using 2-pass encoding. Hook it up to an external monitor at home and it's great.
Great setup. I agree that the Air couldn't replace the iPad and vice versa. Love my iPad mini. And all I need in terms of computing power is the Air hooked up to a nice external monitor.
Amplelink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 02:03 AM   #9
roxxette
Banned

You sold a OG air for 500 usd ? Damm....
roxxette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:11 PM   #10
jdechko
macrumors 68040

If you don't mind doing refurbished, you can buy a '12 model from Apple's eBay storefront for $899 (and they only charge sales tax in a few states).
jdechko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:32 AM   #11
sostoobad
macrumors regular

Yes, I have one coming from the refurb store, free ship, no tax same 1 yr warranty, $899.00 SOLD
sostoobad is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air