Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:37 PM   #1
AdamA9
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
How do you delete hidden files on a Mac?

Might seem like a stupid question, but I have an SD card with hidden files filling it up to capacity. I want to delete these but I can't. I can see them, but when I hit delete it makes that noise that says you cant do this, and I cannot drag to the bin either.

Any ideas? Thanks.
AdamA9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:40 PM   #2
FourCandles
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: England
Assuming there's nothing on it you want to keep, it's probably easiest to simply reformat it. If you're using it in a digital camera, it's usually best to reformat it in the camera.
FourCandles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:44 PM   #3
AdamA9
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourCandles View Post
Assuming there's nothing on it you want to keep, it's probably easiest to simply reformat it. If you're using it in a digital camera, it's usually best to reformat it in the camera.
I don't want to reformat it. I borrowed it from my girlfriend to test out the GoPro, but now I cannot delete anything from it LOL. I have to put her pictures back on it that were on it before. She used it for a photo thing I believe
AdamA9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 01:43 PM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
To show hidden files in Finder, enter the following two commands into a Terminal window (press enter after each line):
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder
To hide hidden files in Finder, enter the following two commands into a Terminal window (press enter after each line):
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
killall Finder
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 01:50 PM   #5
AdamA9
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
To show hidden files in Finder, enter the following two commands into a Terminal window (press enter after each line):
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder
To hide hidden files in Finder, enter the following two commands into a Terminal window (press enter after each line):
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
killall Finder
I know how to view hidden files, I can see them, they just don't delete.
AdamA9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 01:56 PM   #6
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamA9 View Post
I know how to view hidden files, I can see them, they just don't delete.
You can't empty the Trash or move a file to the Trash
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 12:27 PM   #7
nick_elt
macrumors 68000
 
nick_elt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
To show hidden files in Finder, enter the following two commands into a Terminal window (press enter after each line):
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder
To hide hidden files in Finder, enter the following two commands into a Terminal window (press enter after each line):
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
killall Finder
Hey thanks that worked great
__________________
White Macbook, 2012 Macbook air 13", titanium grey galaxy note 2, ipad 3rd gen, apple tv 3
nick_elt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 12:47 PM   #8
chown33
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamA9 View Post
I know how to view hidden files, I can see them, they just don't delete.
Can you create a folder? Can you do anything that changes the SD card?

Maybe the problem is the SD card is in a format that OS X only reads but can't write, like NTFS.

Open Disk Utility.app, select the volume, and post what it says at the lower left of the window for "Format:".
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 01:32 PM   #9
Mr_Brightside_@
macrumors 65816
 
Mr_Brightside_@'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: below Ash Tree Lane
Quote:
Originally Posted by chown33 View Post
Can you create a folder? Can you do anything that changes the SD card?

Maybe the problem is the SD card is in a format that OS X only reads but can't write, like NTFS.

Open Disk Utility.app, select the volume, and post what it says at the lower left of the window for "Format:".
The third to last post was from 2011, so one hopes the op got it sorted
__________________
All over the ship, dancing through the wreckage of the Pfhor computer core, DURANDAL WAS LAUGHING
Here is the toil of that house, and the inextricable wandering
Mr_Brightside_@ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 01:48 PM   #10
chown33
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Brightside_@ View Post
The third to last post was from 2011, so one hopes the op got it sorted
Sigh. Insufficient caffeination.
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how do you put pdf files on your iphone? huskerwr38 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 36 Dec 2, 2012 12:31 AM
How do you delete a ringtone on a non-jailbroken iphone 3gs? hokiepokie07 iPhone 5 Aug 31, 2009 01:18 PM
How do i delete jpg files on Mac HD? HadItWithWindow Mac Basics and Help 2 Jan 6, 2009 01:52 PM
How do I delete the RAID on my Mac Pro without trashing the data? AJClayton Mac Pro 5 Oct 27, 2007 05:17 PM
How do you delete a source on Apple TV? JimmyJoeJohnson Apple TV and Home Theater 8 Jun 17, 2007 11:42 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC