Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old May 11, 2013, 05:56 PM   #26
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurcooL View Post
Awesome, I've enabled it in Canada!

Now, please do something so that whoever gets my password can't remotely wipe my MacBook, iPhone, etc.
It appears that Apple can now help us with access to our data. Capturing it and putting it on a USB for those who want it, is a feature that is no long unique to just the thieves.

Here's an article that explains how Apple can also access our data for us, or those officials that want it. Pretty neat.

http://www.examiner.com/article/appl...essary?cid=rss
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013, 06:45 PM   #27
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
It appears that Apple can now help us with access to our data. Capturing it and putting it on a USB for those who want it, is a feature that is no long unique to just the thieves.

Here's an article that explains how Apple can also access our data for us, or those officials that want it. Pretty neat.

http://www.examiner.com/article/appl...essary?cid=rss
Sorry, but this has been discussed to death on MacRumors and slashdot.org as well, with some very informative posts (plus the usual garbage), and the blogger that you are quoting is an absolutely clueless twat who doesn't have a clue what he is talking about. He doesn't explain anything, he has read articles that were published elsewhere and his "explanation" is just an incorrect interpretation of what is actually happening.

Fact is: If you protect your data with a four digit passcode, then it isn't safe if law enforcement agencies want it.

But in order to get to your data, they'll need to first confiscate your phone, second get a search warrant that allows them to get the data on your phone (most definitely needed; even in case of an arrest where the police is allowed to search you _and_ open your belongings and look inside they are not allowed to look at data on your phone anymore according to recent court decisions, which lead to a conviction for 50 years jail being overturned), and with a search warrant in place, you can't complain that they perform a search.

However, even Apple, even in possession of your phone, cannot just access your data: They have to try out every possible passcode that you might have used. Which is simple for four digit passcodes (10,000 possible codes), but if you use a strong password, like eight truly random digits and characters, it is impossible to crack. It is made harder by the fact that the iOS device itself is part of the encryption, so they cannot employ some supercomputer to try out all the keys, but it must be done on the iOS device itself. And as an anti-hacker measure, the encryption method is designed so that trying any key takes about a tenth of a second.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 08:07 AM   #28
silvetti
macrumors 6502

Portugal here, still no 2 way authentication working

Checked right now
Old May 13, 2013, 11:29 AM   #29
shurcooL
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesisST View Post
Did you see it directly under security or you had to go through some steps before hand?
Yeah, it was just there. Maybe it just needed more time, hopefully you have it too by now.
shurcooL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 12:00 PM   #30
mag01
macrumors member

It seems they stepped back or something.
On Friday I requested the activation of this 2-step verification and got 3 day waiting period and now I see that the 2-step verification option disappeared

Last edited by mag01; May 13, 2013 at 12:10 PM.
mag01 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 01:21 PM   #31
cloudyo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag01 View Post
On Friday I requested the activation of this 2-step verification and got 3 day waiting period and now I see that the 2-step verification option disappeared
same here
cloudyo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 10:51 AM   #32
Frado
macrumors member

Still not back it seems.. Very strange
Frado is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 06:52 PM   #33
arturoimaz
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag01 View Post
SAme in Mexico, I enabled it, got the email and waited 3 days and nothing!
arturoimaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 01:36 PM   #34
teebeau
macrumors newbie

same s h i t here in France :/
teebeau is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion