Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

View Poll Results: Should the Washington Redskins change their name?
Yes 27 31.03%
No 54 62.07%
Undecided 6 6.90%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 21, 2013, 09:35 AM   #226
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubeeef View Post
I'm in the group of changing their name.
They should drop "Washington" from their name as it is far more offensive to the population and an embarrassment to the fans.
No rimshot for you.

Post #138 already beat you to that joke.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2013, 11:03 AM   #227
bassfingers
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
Source please.

Thank you.

Edit: after a bit of searching, all I could find was this letter to the editor in the Arkansas Traveler, a student newspaper.

It's pretty hard to determine the truth based on single letter to the editor without any corresponding news reporting that might shed more light on the subject or provide counterpoint from the other side.

If you can provide more information, it would certainly be welcome.
That's the exact incident I was talking about. I'm surprised you found that letter. The only reason I know about it is because I was visiting that weekend and I know several of those girls. I'm not sure it ever picked up any sort of news coverage at all.
bassfingers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2013, 11:43 AM   #228
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfingers View Post
That's the exact incident I was talking about. I'm surprised you found that letter. The only reason I know about it is because I was visiting that weekend and I know several of those girls. I'm not sure it ever picked up any sort of news coverage at all.
Well if the news media didn't report it, it must not have happened therefore you cannot use it in an online "debate".
obeygiant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2013, 12:56 PM   #229
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
It was as far as I could see.

Could you comment on the line in the letter that I pointed out: "Apparently, even light-hearted renditions of actual historical events are apt to stir the hypersensitive to action."

Isn't it possible that it was the apparent humorous twist to the display that offended the faculty member and not that the headdress and teepees weren't accurately depicted (those two points can actually be related)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant View Post
Well if the news media didn't report it, it must not have happened therefore you cannot use it in an online "debate".
Helpful.

Yet untrue.

I never said it couldn't be debated. I said, " ... no unbiased account of the incident, so I'm hesitant to buy bassfinger's version ... "

I'm hesitant to buy that these items "weren't 'historically accurate' and [therefore] somehow offensive". Even a picky faculty member is not likely going to nitpick and find offense over some minor historic detail ... especially coming from sorority girls celebrating "Hog Holiday".

It is more likely that the students injected some humourous twist to the display—"light-hearted renditions of actual historical events"—and didn't realize that their "light-hearted" spin could cause offense. Humour is a very personal thing and it's quite common for people not to get a joke and instead be offended even at innocent attempts at being playful.

I'd suggest that the root of the dispute lies within that realm.
citizenzen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2013, 01:47 PM   #230
bassfingers
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
It was as far as I could see.

Could you comment on the line in the letter that I pointed out: "Apparently, even light-hearted renditions of actual historical events are apt to stir the hypersensitive to action."

Isn't it possible that it was the apparent humorous twist to the display that offended the faculty member and not that the headdress and teepees weren't accurately depicted (those two points can actually be related)?

Helpful.

Yet untrue.

I never said it couldn't be debated. I said, " ... no unbiased account of the incident, so I'm hesitant to buy bassfinger's version ... "

I'm hesitant to buy that these items "weren't 'historically accurate' and [therefore] somehow offensive". Even a picky faculty member is not likely going to nitpick and find offense over some minor historic detail ... especially coming from sorority girls celebrating "Hog Holiday".

It is more likely that the students injected some humourous twist to the display—"light-hearted renditions of actual historical events"—and didn't realize that their "light-hearted" spin could cause offense. Humour is a very personal thing and it's quite common for people not to get a joke and instead be offended even at innocent attempts at being playful.

I'd suggest that the root of the dispute lies within that realm.
From what I understand*, the word choice "lighthearted" was not a reference to humor or some sort of subtle underlying joke. I think the point was that the scene wasn't a sincere museum-quality effort as far as attention to detail is concerned. So, it was light hearted in that sense. As an extreme example, a stick figure is a light hearted attempt to depict human anatomy

I don't think it's so absurd to suggest that some people are hypersensitive about being PC and need to chill out. I though this was a pretty reasonable small scale example of where that might be true

*My perspective: I arrived after the event, and spent most of my time with guys with no relation to the sorority. I also spent time with a few friends in the Sorority. Not one person I spoke with could identify with or understand the faculties motivations. The student cross section I met chalked it up to strange university politics and/or eccentric professors

I should add that I'm happy with the well thought out responses to this post. Definitely offered useful alternative perspectives. Often anything conservative gets lazily dismissed on these forums
bassfingers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2013, 01:50 PM   #231
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I don't think it's so absurd to suggest that some people are hypersensitive about being PC and need to chill out. I though this was a pretty reasonable small scale example of where that might be true
I agree. Ocassionally you really do just run into a tight-ass.

Quote:
*My perspective: I arrived after the event, and spent most of my time with guys with no relation to the sorority. I also spent time with a few friends in the Sorority. Not one person I spoke with could identify with or understand the faculties motivations. The student cross section I met chalked it up to strange university politics and/or eccentric professors
Somebody really needed to have a discussion here. But since we're talking about construction paper teepees I guess it's just easier to throw them in the recycling and start different theme.

I'd suggest hogs.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues