Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 24, 2013, 01:55 AM   #1
relaxmpg
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Question iWork 08 free update in Mavericks?

Hi there, this is my first post so if this have been addressed in another thread, please let me know.

I have iWork 08 installed from a DVD in my MacBook Pro mid2012. As I have seen in forums, those who purchased iWork 09 are allowed to update iWork through the App Store.

What about us who bought iWork 08?
relaxmpg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 01:56 AM   #2
53kyle
macrumors 6502a
 
53kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: California
If you have iWork 08, buy iWork 09 from the mac app store iWork 08 is really old, no company would ever update something that old for free that I know of.
__________________
 13" MacBook Pro, 2.9 GHz i7, 8 GB RAM, 750 GB;
 Mac Mini, 1.42 GHz PPC G4, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB;
 White iPad 3, WiFi + 4G LTE, 64 GB;
 Red iPod Touch 5th Gen, 32 GB;
53kyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 02:01 AM   #3
mykelala01
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53kyle View Post
If you have iWork 08, buy iWork 09 from the mac app store iWork 08 is really old, no company would ever update something that old for free that I know of.
Meh wrong

Mavericks is free and you can upgrade as far as snow leopard...

What the heck maybe even leopard
__________________
Macbook Pro (Unibody) 2.4ghz 4gb of Ram 320Gb HD 7200rpm OWC DD 500 GB 7200 RPM
Macbook Air Rev A
Macbook Pro Mid 2012 Hi-Res Glossy Display. 2.6ghz 8gb of Ram 750GB 7200 RPM
mykelala01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 02:28 AM   #4
53kyle
macrumors 6502a
 
53kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykelala01 View Post
Meh wrong

Mavericks is free and you can upgrade as far as snow leopard...

What the heck maybe even leopard
OK, then iWork 08 came out shortly after leopard and 09 was shortly after snow leopard. Neither leopard or iWork 08 have free updates to the latest software, you need to pay for iWork 09 to get the latest iWork and snow leopard to get the latest OS X, so 2008 software is just barely out of apple's definition of new enough
__________________
 13" MacBook Pro, 2.9 GHz i7, 8 GB RAM, 750 GB;
 Mac Mini, 1.42 GHz PPC G4, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB;
 White iPad 3, WiFi + 4G LTE, 64 GB;
 Red iPod Touch 5th Gen, 32 GB;
53kyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 02:32 AM   #5
relaxmpg
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53kyle View Post
OK, then iWork 08 came out shortly after leopard and 09 was shortly after snow leopard. Neither leopard or iWork 08 have free updates to the latest software, you need to pay for iWork 09 to get the latest iWork and snow leopard to get the latest OS X, so 2008 software is just barely out of apple's definition of new enough
Ok

Thank you guys!
relaxmpg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2013, 03:02 PM   #6
anovick
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Download iWork '09 Trial. Then App Store will let you update.

I have iWork '08 installed, but the App Store (SW Update) would not recognize it and let me upgrade the iWork applications.

Then...I just did the following to get the App Store to let me upgrade:

1. goto http://download.cnet.com/Apple-iWork...3_4-55181.html to download the iWork '09 Trial version.

2. Install it.

3. Register with Apple by launching one of the apps one time.

4. Goto App Store.

The SW Updater on the App Store should now show that you have 3 updates available: Pages, Numbers, Keynote.

5. Success.

Enjoy.

-alan
__________________
-alan
anovick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2013, 03:18 PM   #7
mykelala01
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by anovick View Post
I have iWork '08 installed, but the App Store (SW Update) would not recognize it and let me upgrade the iWork applications.

Then...I just did the following to get the App Store to let me upgrade:

1. goto http://download.cnet.com/Apple-iWork...3_4-55181.html to download the iWork '09 Trial version.

2. Install it.

3. Register with Apple by launching one of the apps one time.

4. Goto App Store.

The SW Updater on the App Store should now show that you have 3 updates available: Pages, Numbers, Keynote.

5. Success.

Enjoy.

-alan
If I do this should I need a Iwork 08???
__________________
Macbook Pro (Unibody) 2.4ghz 4gb of Ram 320Gb HD 7200rpm OWC DD 500 GB 7200 RPM
Macbook Air Rev A
Macbook Pro Mid 2012 Hi-Res Glossy Display. 2.6ghz 8gb of Ram 750GB 7200 RPM
mykelala01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2013, 03:46 PM   #8
Jambalaya
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
This has been covered in other threads but @annovick has it. I used this method to get the new iWork11 numbers/pages/etc. There is a story on the frontnoage that apple don't care about users getting them this way.

As my files where created with iWork8 I and to open them with iWork9 apps and save before I could use the latest ones. I'm not sure if there is a bulk way of doing this but I had to do it file by file

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykelala01 View Post
If I do this should I need a Iwork 08???
No, don't think so
Jambalaya is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC