Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
Whenever I use the built in Archive utility it freezes and I get permanent beachball. I have to force quit to get out of it. I could really use some help how to fix this app.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Whenever I use the built in Archive utility it freezes and I get permanent beachball. I have to force quit to get out of it. I could really use some help how to fix this app.

Does it do the same in a different User Account, try this first.
And repair permissions, might help.

hakuin

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2010
There are others like Stuffit but that's not what he asked and probably does not want, it is always fixable, if nothing helps a reinstall will.

Hm? I am sure Acorn can make up his/her own mind given accurate information.

Stuffit Expander is free but does not create archives, so is not a replacement for Archive Utility.

Keka is free and both opens and creates a variety of archives (including zip).

Personally, if there is a free alternative that is better than what I've got, I usually use the better, free alternative.

Acorn, if it seems like too much trouble to get Archive Utility working again, you can use Keka instead. It will create and open zip archives like Archive Utility, as well as some other archive formats. I use it instead of Archive Utility on my system.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hm? I am sure Acorn can make up his/her own mind given accurate information.

Stuffit Expander is free but does not create archives, so is not a replacement for Archive Utility.

Keka is free and both opens and creates a variety of archives (including zip).

Personally, if there is a free alternative that is better than what I've got, I usually use the better, free alternative.

Acorn, if it seems like too much trouble to get Archive Utility working again, you can use Keka instead. It will create and open zip archives like Archive Utility, as well as some other archive formats. I use it instead of Archive Utility on my system.

Where did I say expander??

The OS should work, if it does not I would like it to be repaired.

But, whatever.

hakuin

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2010
Where did I say expander??

The OS should work, if it does not I would like it to be repaired.

But, whatever.

One application is not the OS.

As far as I know Stuffit Expander is the only free version of Stuffit.

Keka:
http://www.kekaosx.com/en/

I am only pointing out a potential option you know. Take it easy!

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
One application is not the OS.

As far as I know Stuffit Expander is the only free version of Stuffit. If you know better prove it.

Keka:
http://www.kekaosx.com/en/

Where did I say free, you need to read before commenting.

One Application is part of the OS so yes the OS for him should work.

But it all does not matter, the OP needs a fix and I try to help him with that, nothing more, nothing less.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
thanks for helping me with this guys. I will try keka hakuin if I cant get it working. I really dont want to reinstall mountain lion as I just got everything the way I want it and I dont have a spare drive yet for time machine. I just spent the last of my money on parallels so I wouldnt have to keep rebooting into windows. I like its coherence feature.

ok I will try and repair permissions first. it should be easy to test since it fails on regular zip files.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
thanks for helping me with this guys. I will try keka hakuin if I cant get it working. I really dont want to reinstall mountain lion as I just got everything the way I want it and I dont have a spare drive yet for time machine. I just spent the last of my money on parallels so I wouldnt have to keep rebooting into windows. I like its coherence feature.

ok I will try and repair permissions first. it should be easy to test since it fails on regular zip files.

And try a different User Account.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
ok it was failing on zip files and after the repair permissions it seems to be working again. I think thats the first time repair permissions has ever fixed anything for me. Im greatful its working again since I dont know how to reinstall something thats built into the operating system like that. Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
ok it was failing on zip files and after the repair permissions it seems to be working again. I think thats the first time repair permissions has ever fixed anything for me. Im greatful its working again since I dont know how to reinstall something thats built into the operating system like that. Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.

:):):):):):):)

BTW, did you change your cats avatar, thought it was different yesterday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.